gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680841 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:32:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach boys haters, do they really?  (Read 16054 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »

I would hardly place any stock in in the opinions of a Kiss fan.
Now, now... LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »

When I was in my teens and early 20s most of my friends were punk rockers and hard rockers. Most of them hated the Beach Boys, except some of the punk rockers. Especially the ones who played instruments and listened to the Ramones. But I occasionally got nasty looks when I mentioned the name Beach Boys. I became one of those "I don't give a f*** what people think, I love the Beach Boys" kinda people. I think one of the problems with the BBs is that many people think they were too light and that they were sorta like a bearded Sha Na Na, playing oldies. I've always considered the Beach Boys to be both a mainstream AND an underground band. There's so much material to dive into, it's just that not everybody wants to give the BBs a chance. I once asked "Metal" Mike Saunders (former writer for Rolling Stone and member of Californian punk band Angry Samoans) if he ever liked the Beach Boys. He said, "No". When I asked him why he answered "I didn't like the way they looked". Bad answer, but that's what he said.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »

Meh. I never bothered about what anyone else likes. Music speaks to people in different ways. What speaks to one person doesn't speak to me, and vice versa.

I do think there is a tendency in entertainment these days to equate "gritty" with "good." Edgier material gets more cred than something that's considered pretty or nice. I think it's a false assumption, though. Too often the "edgy" one winds up just sounding predictably cynical and is just as tastelessly bad as the syrupy sweetness he claims to disdain.  The Beach Boys aren't gritty, cynical, or edgy and to those who prefer their bad music with a bad attitude, they will always be a point of ridicule. Their sunshine pop and psychedelic vibes are too hippy-dippy for them, and that's okay with me. I prefer to listen to music that doesn't inspire me to punch out my cat.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »

Luckily for me I don't have to worry about haters too much.  People I work with hardly know anything about them and right now in my life, I don't have friends. So basically, I get to enjoy all the great music on my own and I can listen to it as much as I want.  LOL
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2014, 05:53:39 AM »

Meh. I never bothered about what anyone else likes. Music speaks to people in different ways. What speaks to one person doesn't speak to me, and vice versa.

I do think there is a tendency in entertainment these days to equate "gritty" with "good." Edgier material gets more cred than something that's considered pretty or nice. I think it's a false assumption, though. Too often the "edgy" one winds up just sounding predictably cynical and is just as tastelessly bad as the syrupy sweetness he claims to disdain.  The Beach Boys aren't gritty, cynical, or edgy and to those who prefer their bad music with a bad attitude, they will always be a point of ridicule. Their sunshine pop and psychedelic vibes are too hippy-dippy for them, and that's okay with me. I prefer to listen to music that doesn't inspire me to punch out my cat.

This band is a perfect example of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjG47gtMCo

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »

This band is a perfect example of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjG47gtMCo

Ummmmm….yeah.   Shocked
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the topic … Although I would have phrased it something like this:  "I could give a flying f*** less what anyone else thinks of the Beach Boys."  I love me some BB music; always have and always will.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx