gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:29:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach boys haters, do they really?  (Read 16035 times)
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 03:37:43 PM »

By the way, very few people know about Dennis's songs, apart from "Forever." When I ask people to listen to those, they _love_ them and have no idea that it's the Beach Boys or anything related. 

Thats interesting. I too showed some friends Dennis's stuff and they loved it. But they couldnt get into The Beach Boys. I think your points were spot on, I agree with all of them.

Hm, I played some Beach Boys music at my best friends' room and he dig some songs like "Hold Me", "Do It Again", "Sail On Sailor" and "He Come Down". He is a drummer and we will build a band (with my brother) and play some Beach Boys songs. Then I played "All Alone" and in that moment his cousins came in (they are just 13 I think) and asked me if I really like this music then they smiled and said:"Is this romanticism?" Anyway later they liked at least "Fun, Fun, Fun". Yesterday I was again there and his other cousin came in played some of his music and there were songs like "Surfin' USA" and "Good Vibrations", not bad for a 11 year old guy.

People don't accept Beach Boys and Beatles in my age because they are old, sure they like hits like "Barbara Ann" and "Yesterday" but they do more accept the Rolling Stones 'cause they are rocking. I think if you would show someone the Knebworth concert the person willl like it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:39:00 PM by Beach Boy » Logged

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »

In my experience, most of the people I know that hate the Beach Boys will think they like the Beach Boys until they hear things like Smile(y Smile), Friends, Sunflower, et cetera. Many times in the car with my mom I've been listening to the Beach Boys and she's said something like, "THIS IS CRAP! Can't you put on Help Me Rhonda or something?"

That has been my personal experience also. It's so damn hard just to get people to listen to the hits. But then I get greedy and move them on to SMiLE or Sunflower or Love You and I lose them. They just can't get past 1966. And some have been fairly sophisticated music fans. They hear what I'm trying to get them to hear, but they just don't appreciate it like I think they HAVE to. It's very frustrating.

I have had some other favorite groups/artists like The Doors, Bob Dylan, Sparks, Blue Oyster Cult, Willie Nelson, and Lou Reed - and I can understand why people might not appreciate them the way I do. But I STILL can't understand why everybody doesn't like The Beach Boys! Their music is like counter-Christmas music for the summer. You have to play and ENJOY The Beach Boys at a Memorial Day or Fourth Of July cookout. Or by the pool. Or in your car. Or in bed. Or... police
MBE
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 04:34:29 PM »

Really eveyone I playe the 66-73 stuff too loves it. Totally opposite reactions. I have gotten  people to like the hits because of the middle years.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »

Their music is like counter-Christmas music for the summer.

As someone who HATES Christmas music, I can say that for me the Beach Boys are NOTHING like Christmas music!  Smiley

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 06:04:25 PM »

Nobody in 'real life' that I know likes them except for me. My father, while he doesn't HATE them, he doesn't really like them either...and he's heard the non-hits (things from Sunflower and Surf's Up, as well as most other albums). He is a general music fan, so I've played him lots of BB material in hopes that he would take a liking to them. However, the only thing he really digs is the SMiLE stuff. Everything else he gives the cold shoulder.
MBE
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »

This whole thread brings up something I have been called over sensitive about by friends. If someone goes out of the way to put down what you like is it rude? I think so. I have friends who like electro and while I never try to convert them we are pretty polite to each others tastes. I seemed to get mad when especally when I was in grade school people made fun of these groups I like. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007, 10:12:01 PM »

I think the reason that we all go out of our way to get somebody to like the Beach Boys isn't because we want to feel validated, I think it's because anybody fanatical enough to post consistantly on a Beach Boys message board probably derives a lot of pleasure out of their music, it's very spiritual and joyful... and human beings are going to go out of their way, on a good day, to try and spread something they find truly joyful with the loved ones in their life.  I don't think I try to get others to enjoy it so it'll make me feel validated, I think I try to get others to enjoy it because I find it so enjoyable myself, I'd like to see others get the great feeling I get out of it. 
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 03:30:24 AM »

In all of my 16 years as a fan (wow...that's slightly more than half my life...I just realized that!), I have made one true fan.  It's cool to have a concert buddy that is willing to shell out the cash to go to concerts (although some that we go to we get to for free!)  He only owns a couple of CD's (that I gave him as a birthday present), and you'll never find him on any of the BB message boards, but he is a true fan in that he knows much of the story of the band, and he's met Mike, Bruce, and Al.  He is probably at least mildly familiar with half the catalog, and very familiar with about a quarter of it.  So yeah, I wouldn't call him a hard-core fan, but he's a fan nonetheless, and he wasn't one before.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I totally turned my entire immediate family off of the Beach Boys somewhere between 1991 (when I became a fan) and 1996 (when I moved out).  Years after I had moved out, they would still switch the station whenever a Beach Boys song came on the radio because they had heard enough to last them 10 years!  They don't quite have that reaction now, but I don't think they're going to run out and buy any CDs anytime soon.

The vast majority of my good friends, and even casual friends, that know about my fandom are kind of indifferent to the music.  They'll talk Beach Boys with me, and ask me questions, but that's as far as it goes.  But there are very few who dislike them.  Just about everyone I know doesn't mind hearing their music, but it just doesn't impact them the way it does me.
MBE
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 04:09:32 AM »

[

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I totally turned my entire immediate family off of the Beach Boys somewhere between 1991 (when I became a fan) and 1996 (when I moved out).  Years after I had moved out, they would still switch the station whenever a Beach Boys song came on the radio because they had heard enough to last them 10 years!  They don't quite have that reaction now, but I don't think they're going to run out and buy any CDs anytime soon.

Actually my family likes them a whole lot more now then before I liked them. I was born in 76 but my parents like most the music from their own era more through me really.
The vast majority of my good friends, and even casual friends, that know about my fandom are kind of indifferent to the music.  They'll talk Beach Boys with me, and ask me questions, but that's as far as it goes.  But there are very few who dislike them.  Just about everyone I know doesn't mind hearing their music, but it just doesn't impact them the way it does me.
[/quote]
Exactly my experience.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »

Hey everybody, I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post. This topic  caught my eye right away. Seems like some things never change! I was defending the BBs  in the late 60s when it was really tough to be a BB fan. I've come to looking at it like this: If some one dosen't get the Beach Boys, it really is their loss . Those of us who are connected to this music,  imagine doing without the feeling that you get from it. Without being sarcastic, I feel for sorry for anybody that dosen't hear it in a positive way, and is missing out on it.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »

Hey everybody, I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post. This topic  caught my eye right away. Seems like some things never change! I was defending the BBs  in the late 60s when it was really tough to be a BB fan. I've come to looking at it like this: If some one dosen't get the Beach Boys, it really is their loss . Those of us who are connected to this music,  imagine doing without the feeling that you get from it. Without being sarcastic, I feel for sorry for anybody that dosen't hear it in a positive way, and is missing out on it.

Hi and welcome, hope you enjoy posting here. Smiley I agree with you there, Im just glad that I found their music as it has given me so much happiness even in the short time Ive been a fan. I too feel sorry for people who are stuck listening to rap or whatever, but I suppose we probably shouldnt feel sorry for them because whatever music makes people happy is music that is doing its job.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 07:12:36 PM »

I too feel sorry for people who are stuck listening to rap or whatever, but I suppose we probably shouldnt feel sorry for them because whatever music makes people happy is music that is doing its job.

I like plenty of rap. Every genre has its great, its good, its mediocre, its bad and its awful.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 07:35:13 PM »

I too feel sorry for people who are stuck listening to rap or whatever, but I suppose we probably shouldnt feel sorry for them because whatever music makes people happy is music that is doing its job.

I like plenty of rap. Every genre has its great, its good, its mediocre, its bad and its awful.

I dont disagree with you BUT generally I find most rap (esepcially mainstream) to be pretty unbearable (for me anyway). I like some rap too like Run DMC etc.. but artists like Eminem and 50 Cent etc.. they just dont do anything for me.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 02:26:13 AM »

Actually my family likes them a whole lot more now then before I liked them. I was born in 76 but my parents like most the music from their own era more through me really.
Exactly my experience.
I was born in the same year...funny how our experiences with our family are so opposite...
SG7
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 12:16:12 PM »

I don't think my folks knew what to make of it. My father being anti hobbies in general I don't think got or understood it. He actually yelled at me one time to turn off the SMiLE dvd because "he couldn't stand it"  Roll Eyes

My mom has had to embrace it like it or not. I drag her to the shows and conventions and she has a much easier understanding. She'll always be a bigger Beatles fan then a Beach Boys fan but through me she dug Pet Sounds and digs stuff like Friends.

My sister just misses the point. It goes right over her head. I don't think it is too hip hop for her or not modern enough to her I guess.

I don't really talk it to my other friends as much. When I started I talked about them till the cows came home but I found they were annoyed. One of my friends even had the nerve to call them ugly  Angry I have given up on converting too because the only time I ever made one he just never played it. 

I don't find people that hate them. Those people usually have different tastes and what not. I do find people though who only know the really basic or just really
not educated enough  about them. I think liking the BB/BW has to be your own experience. I found my own way to like it. Once I did though, there  was nothing like it and hasn't been since in my life.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 01:24:21 PM »

I dont disagree with you BUT generally I find most rap (esepcially mainstream) to be pretty unbearable (for me anyway). I like some rap too like Run DMC etc.. but artists like Eminem and 50 Cent etc.. they just dont do anything for me.

I've got to say, I find most mainstream ANYTHING pretty awful. I can't think of more than 15 or 20 major-label new releases I've bought since the late '90s, and I have probably bought well over 750 albums in that time.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 06:26:39 PM »

I've got to say, I find most mainstream ANYTHING pretty awful. I can't think of more than 15 or 20 major-label new releases I've bought since the late '90s, and I have probably bought well over 750 albums in that time.

Yeh I agree with you again. Though I like some mainstream stuff most of it is pretty poor. I just find that a lot of maintstream rap is always shoved in my face and I really have a strong dislike for it.
MBE
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 06:31:35 PM »

Exactly my experience.
I was born in the same year...funny how our experiences with our family are so opposite...

Yeah it is ironic. Taste is so subjective though it's hard to know what anyone won't or will like.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2007, 12:23:18 PM »

I suppose that I have a bit of a pet peeve. When somebody asks me who my favorite band is, I tell them the BBs, knowing what their response will be. "Oh yeah.  Old Man wish they all could be California Girls Serenade and we'll have fun, fun, fun til my daddy took the t-bird away  Banana every body's gone surfin, surfin USA."    Thud Wall :angryI always have to say, Yeah those are good songs, but that's not why I like them.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »

Just because it's not on a major label doesn't mean it's not mainstream. Of Montreal is pretty mainstream, if you ask me. They're on the same label as Puffy AmiYumi, who I would definitely consider mainstream.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2007, 06:16:46 PM »

Just because it's not on a major label doesn't mean it's not mainstream. Of Montreal is pretty mainstream, if you ask me. They're on the same label as Puffy AmiYumi, who I would definitely consider mainstream.

I would say O.M. is quite mainstream as far as indies go, that's true. They're certainly enjoying great success (relatively speaking), and I'm glad of it. But there is a world of difference between an Of Montreal (or even the Shins, for that matter) and someone who gets real major-label backing. Justin Timberlake, Avril Lavigne, Nelly Furtado. It isn't even close.

And I can say I wish bands like Of Montreal WERE major label. I wish more majors did offer big deals to more good bands...but they don't, sadly.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »

I suppose that I have a bit of a pet peeve. When somebody asks me who my favorite band is, I tell them the BBs, knowing what their response will be. "Oh yeah.  Old Man wish they all could be California Girls Serenade and we'll have fun, fun, fun til my daddy took the t-bird away  Banana every body's gone surfin, surfin USA."    Thud Wall :angryI always have to say, Yeah those are good songs, but that's not why I like them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Very Creative...that is my vote for post of the year!!!! MTR Rules...but let me guess....I know FUN FUN FUN is not the reason they are your favorite band, but don't tell me it's L.A. Light Album or Student Demonstartion Time ....  just kidding....Great Post.
SG7
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 08:16:26 PM »

Or Pitter Patter  LOL LOL

It looks like raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin.......
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »

Are these smileys BB personalised or something?

Brian, Dennis, & Carl Brian's Trip Transcendental Meditation
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2007, 04:07:40 PM »

It could be, but on my post, I meant for it to be the person that I tell I am a Beach Boy fan to. They always start singing one of the famous songs and say "they're pretty good". I just get a bit frustrated because the Beatles aren't thought of only as the guys that did Can't Buy Me Love, She Loves You, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, etc...

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx