gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:48:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock Bio-pics  (Read 9193 times)
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2006, 04:14:43 PM »

For regular rock bio-picks I agree with the vote for slected scenes from The Doors

Loved Crispin Glover as Andy Warhol.

The way that whole NYC bit in "The Doors" was handled was laughably inept, totally clueless. "Jim, let's get out of here -- these people are vampires!" Meanwhile, the two Velvets cuts played in the background are far more powerful and REAL than anything portrayed in that fucking lame-ass, piece-of-sh*t movie. And like the real Andy Warhol would allow himself to be manhandled by the chunk-o-change simp that was Jim Morrisson as played by Val Kilmer! Warhol was one of the frostiest, most forbidding personalities EVER! NO ONE TOUCHED THAT MAN IF HE DIDN'T WANNA BE TOUCHED!

Fockein' CLUELESS.
Jason
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2006, 04:18:17 PM »

When is The Shaggs' bio-pic coming out? I want to see that one.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 04:45:40 PM »

The thought of a Keith Moon pic with Mike Myers makes me want to weep. DON'T DO IT!!!! It can only be bad - he's already way too old for the part. Unless it's one of those that doesn't really reference the music (which, if it concentrated on the right parts of his life, they could get away with - it'l still suck though.)

I Walk The Line has only just opened over here- they make us wait up to 6 months for new films - sometimes I can get the DVD from the States before the film has even opened, or very shortly after. Sad state of affairs.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 04:53:53 PM »

Dead Man's Curve is the only good one.

Well, Deadman's Curve served a very important role in launching "Phase II" of Jan & Dean's career . . . It was a ratings blockbuster in '78, and music critics like Greil Marcus applauded it. The film turned a lot of new, younger fans on to J&D, and that in itself was hugely important. In the end, it was a feel-good movie.

But while it was a gripping expose on the personal relationship between Jan & Dean (along with the tragedy factor), the musical side of the story was almost completely fictionalized. In that sense, the film has actually hurt Jan Berry's legacy as one of the best arrangers and producers of his era.

Not once in the entire film do you see Jan producing the music. I mean, the film makes it clear that Jan was in charge . . . but there are no visuals to properly illustrate the studio dynamic.

On the other hand, at least we had a movie about Jan & Dean back in the '70s. That didn't happen for the Beach Boys until when . . . the early '90s?

M.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 05:13:34 PM »

Mark A. Moore,

I've been wanting to ask you this for awhile, and if you have time to post...

What is the one factor or factors in your life that inspired or motivated you to "carry the torch" or spread the word about Jan Berry and Jan & Dean's music? Is it simply your love of the music?

I think it's great. Keep up the good work...

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 06:00:50 PM »

Mark A. Moore,

I've been wanting to ask you this for awhile, and if you have time to post...

What is the one factor or factors in your life that inspired or motivated you to "carry the torch" or spread the word about Jan Berry and Jan & Dean's music? Is it simply your love of the music?

I think it's great. Keep up the good work...

Yeah, it started with my love of the music. And it's a story that's only partially been told. Jan's legacy, through a number of factors, has been buried over the years. Jan's is one of the coolest stories to come out of Hollywood from that era . . . I mean, Jan Berry had a self-penned hit record before Phil Spector did . . . Even Kim Fowley will tell you that (while bashing Jan as only Kim can do . . . and my interview with Kim lasted five hours. Ha!)

The music? . . . There's true depth and complexity to Jan & Dean's music in the '63-'68 period. And the evidence is there on paper to be studied. I have Jan's original music library, as part of my research. Plus tons of other documentation.

Part of what I do for a living involves conducting historical research . . . it's part of my "day job." I've been published nationally in the field of Civil War history . . . and so I'm just bringing this approach to my Jan & Dean studies. I'm writing a full biography of Jan's life . . . and that of course includes Jan & Dean. My study will be academic (in terms of citing sources), but engaging . . . and will cover all aspects and angles. It won't all be, "Gee, look how great Jan was" . . . I have the documentary and interview materials to tell the story on a pretty deep level . . . good and bad.

In addition to documentary pursuits, I'm also out to illuminate this stuff through a number of musical projects . . . the first being the JB / J&D tribute album I'm producing with Cameron Parkes . . . through which we'll highlight Jan's original music scores using modern production. I'm really into the nuts and bolts of the music and productions. It took me more than a year to transcribe Jan's music scores for the album project . . . which is now in full swing.

Basically, it's just a great story . . . and at the same time, there are a lot of myths and stereotypes that have been perpetuated about Jan & Dean over the years. They've been unfairly pegged in a lot of ways . . . and they deserve better. Someone needed to step up and do something about all of this on a larger scale . . . so that's what I'm doing.

I had Jan's support before he died . . . I have the support of his widow, Gertie; and Jan's family has also been a huge help to me. I couldn't do this without them.

What about Dean? . . . That's a question that always comes up. And the answer is, Dean is a major part of this story, and he will be covered in-depth and fairly in my projects. To date, I've had some great exchanges with Dean . . . and we haven't even scratched the surface yet.

M.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »

Thanks for the response, Mark!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx