gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:22:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Calling  (Read 5738 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2006, 04:30:44 AM »

Can anyone post the original lyrics to this song?
And why the f*** wasn't this song released as a single. Sounds like it would have been a sure #1 Hit.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 07:06:15 AM »

...or at least top out at like... 98.6.
Totally rad.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 07:09:20 AM by monkee knutz » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 09:42:20 AM »

Dreadful song.  One of several attempts to rekindle that summer is fun vibe - see It's Okay, It's a Beautiful Day, Keepin' the Summer Alive etc.  This has to be one of the worst.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 11:00:43 AM »

I think it's good but it has bad lyrics. And it's commercial, so it could have been a hit. They should have released it as a follow up to "Getcha Back", which has that same "old" feel. And also Ringo Starr played drums on it, so it really could have sold....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »

Mike's nasal vocals ruin this song for me. There's a version with Al on vocals that's much less irritating and much more enjoyable.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »

Yeah, I also enjoy the parts that Al sings more than Mike's but there is worse stuff of Mike out there.... Grin
The "Al"-version you talk about, is that the one with the different lyrics? Are they any better?

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 11:49:09 AM »

They're "different", some might say better. It's just another unused version.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 01:17:28 PM »

Horrid. But still better than Passing Friend.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 04:18:32 PM »

Horrid. But still better than Passing Friend.

Disagree, only on the basis of Carl's vocals being 1000000 times better than Mike's.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »

I like Passing Friend. A lot.

And California Calling truly is a piece of crap.  Ringo's guest drumming is the only saving grace.
Wizard_Glick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 03:55:33 AM »

It seems to me that using hindsight now, following Getcha Back, the song would have been riding that momentum and charted pretty good. I really like the song, except for "totally rad" .......but that's just a minor quibble

Save the Texas prairie chicken
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 10:56:39 AM »

The song is alright I think, but it really messes with the flow of the 85 album.  If that song had been written and produced by Brian Wilson in 1964, it probably would have been a top 10 hit.  But it just sounds absurdly out of place for 1985.  Maybe if they had used real instruments, it might have sounded better.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 11:00:28 AM »

It seems to me that using hindsight now, following Getcha Back, the song would have been riding that momentum and charted pretty good. I really like the song, except for "totally rad" .......but that's just a minor quibble

Exactly. That was part of my question. It was the obvious single, so why didn't they release it? Had it something to do with Landy....?

- Jack Rieley
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 12:18:40 PM »

If my memory is correct, Landy isn't credited on the song- just Brian and Al.

It's Gettin' Late still charted in the low 90's I think.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx