gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:18:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just discovered Spirit  (Read 3425 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »

For the past week and a half I've been listening to 'The Family That Plays Together' and 'Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus', I swear to god this band is one of my favorite discoveries since Moby Grape. An amazing band that no one really talks about.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 02:02:43 AM »

You are right, they were pretty good and there is not much of a buzz about them at the moment.  I saw them 3 or 4 times and they were good live.  They actually got pretty big for  a while and played arena shows.  They got much more broad recognition, in the day, than say Arthur Lee's Love - probably because they played before more people.  I think the motel where the front cover photo for "Family" was shot is still there (on Sunset in East Hollywood).  It's not $6. a night anymore though.     
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:05:08 AM by mikee » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »

You saw them play in L.A. back in the 1960's? That's awesome. From what I've read (wouldn't know first hand 'cause I wasn't alive), Love was pretty unknown outside hipster L.A. circles, also the original incarnation of Love wasn't even together that long compared to Spirit. Would you say Spirit was as well known as the Doors or Jefferson Airplane?

When were they playing arena shows? Around the time of Dr. Sardonicus?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:31:01 AM »

You saw them play in L.A. back in the 1960's? That's awesome. When were they playing arena shows? Around the time of Dr. Sardonicus?

I saw Spirit in Phoenix, Az. at least a couple of times.  I probably saw them in L.A. earlier in a smaller venue but can’t remember the details of that.  I went to a show they did at the Ariz. Memorial Colusium, which holds about 15,000 or so for concerts.  If I remember correctly it was a co-headlined type of show with Country Joe and the Fish and Ten Years After in 1970 or 1971.  I think 10 Years After closed the show, (they were quite popular at the moment riding the wave of their performance of  “I’m Going Home” that was in the Woodstock movie) but Spirit was hardly a warm up act.  They played an excellent full set and were well received.  “I’ve Got A Line On You” and “Natures Way” were pretty well known hits in my parts.  They were great and had a lot of energy.  I especially admired Cassidy (even as a younger person) -  An older guy out there playing in a rock band with his son.  He didn’t hold anything back either.  Very inspiring.

From what I've read (wouldn't know first hand 'cause I wasn't alive), Love was pretty unknown outside hipster L.A. circles

They were known.  Love’s singles did pretty well.  People that I knew (and most didn't have hipster badges) also liked the first 3 albums and  several of the deep tracks but they never came around to back it up live.  Arthur did what he had to do I guess. 

Would you say Spirit was as well known as the Doors or Jefferson Airplane?
No, probably just a little below that of the JA though overall – in my estimation.  The Doors initial peak popularity period, while very high, actually fell off fairly quickly and substantially.  Then after Morrison died they had no real buzz at all for several years.  When “The End” was placed in ‘Apocolypse Now’ though Morrison was suddenly red hot again - figuratively anyway.  (Sorry, I’m always reminded of the Rolling Stone: headline “He’s Hot, He’s sexy,  He’s Dead” for an article concerning that revival).  I consider that song, in that movie to have been the start of what is called the “Classic Rock” format.  It’s hard to believe because currently you get the idea that acts like the Doors or Jimi Hendrix, have been in the rotation, so to speak, continuously since they came out.  But there was a period of years where relatively few listened to their music. It wasn’t played on the radio anywhere and there was no idea that the “Classic Rock” format would come into being and help revive some of that music. 
Fortunately there are at least  few people around, like you, that listen to a lot of the worthy music that has kind of fallen through the cracks - that maybe didn't make the  classic rock playlist for one reason, or no reason, and you keep it alive. 

melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:13:32 PM »

'Mechanical World' is one of the greatest songs ever as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame they don't get more recognition. My dad saw them several times and chatted with them in the 60s...lucky dog.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:40:12 AM »

Thanks for rekindling my interest.  I was moved to listen to "The Family That Plays Together" LP which I have probably not listened to since the mid seventies.  It has some great music.  There are not many works that would fall into the same category and general level of ambitious artistry as Arthur Lee (and Love's) "Forever Changes". I think that this album does.  The orchestrations were done by Jazz legend Marty Paich.  I would assume that Ed Cassidy brought him in.  Ed was the senior member of Spirit by more than 25 years. In fact , he turned 84 last week and has been a professional musician since 1937!  He played jazz in his early career performing with artists such as Art Pepper, Cannonball Adderley, Roland Kirk, Lee Konitz and Gerry Mulligan.  In 1964 he became a founding member of the Rising Sons with Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal, Gary Marker and Jesse Lee Kincaid.   In 1965 he formed the band with his stepson Randy California, that eventually became "Spirit". 
I just remembered that I have a vinyl Randy California lp called "Captain Copter And the Twirly Birds" that I will have to chack out again.  I remember liking it. 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:43:35 AM by mikee » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx