gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:08:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: brian's back...thoughts?  (Read 2365 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:36:33 PM »

yeah, i've always had a soft spot in my heart for this one

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »

I've always liked it. The lyrics are a bit sappy, but because they're about Brian it's OK. Carl, of course, is brilliant on the song. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 03:39:13 PM »

I've always liked it. The lyrics are a bit sappy, but because they're about Brian it's OK. Carl, of course, is brilliant on the song. 

I'm with ya...Carl totally makes the song for me. 
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 04:02:49 PM »

I love the throwback to "You Still Believe In Me" at the end.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »

I just gave it another listen to make sure I hadn't changed my mind...but I still don't like it. I have to say that the melody through the refrain is catchy, though, and Carl does sing it really well (as he almost always did).

And I disagree about the quote of "You Still Believe In Me" at the end. I don't like the way the Beach Boys (ML in this case) always seemed to be quoting themselves starting in the late 70s. To me that is just a reminder what a jukebox they had become.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 05:38:16 PM »

And I disagree about the quote of "You Still Believe In Me" at the end. I don't like the way the Beach Boys (ML in this case) always seemed to be quoting themselves starting in the late 70s. To me that is just a reminder what a jukebox they had become.

I can see your point Luther, but I didn't really think that the "You Still Believe In Me" quote at the end was meant to be a chessy throwback.  I actually find that part very touching, Carl singing one of big brother's most beautiful melodies.  I saw it as more of a tribute than anything else, not like most of the other throwback stuff they did beginning in the 70's. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 06:06:50 PM »

You could be right, Chris. I think that I just struggle to separate touching tribute from cheese, having too negative feelings about other stuff of the time.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 06:50:14 PM »

In this case I don't care about them quoting themselves, or ripping themselves off.  I can listen to Carl sing that riff over, and over, and over...beautiful.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 11:49:05 PM »

I'm with Luther. Can't really stand this song at all. I guess some of Carl's parts are cool, but he could sing an old instruction manual for a Betamax that's in Japanese, and it'd still sound like heaven. Doesn't mean the song is any good (i.e. 'Sweet Sunday Kind of Love', 'Passing Friend', etc.).
Mike's lyrics are awful. I just want to kick his cueball head, corner pocket, every time he sings "I guess we got around".
Seems like Mike was taking lessons from Bruce Johnston in how to write syrupy. "I write the songs that go good with pancakes".

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 04:19:40 AM »

Mike's lyrics are awful. I just want to kick his cueball head, corner pocket, every time he sings "I guess we got around".
Seems like Mike was taking lessons from Bruce Johnston in how to write syrupy. "I write the songs that go good with pancakes".

Yeh I don't like Mike's lyrics on this song. I dont understand the line "Well I never knew that he was gone". Whats that spose to mean? I always perceive that as negative, as in 'oh I didn't even notice you weren't here'. Im probably wrong but thats how I always perceive it. As has been said, Carl's singing is really enjoyable as usual.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 05:41:03 AM »

I always took that knew he was gone line as Mike was jelous and wondering why Brian got all the attention....

i hate how mike mentions ol' pet sounds in the song...it's like he was saying he liked it or something.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 06:44:36 AM »

i hate how mike mentions ol' pet sounds in the song...it's like he was saying he liked it or something.

Mike knows and has always known how great Pet Sounds is in my opinion. I just think he hated the fact that his name didn't appear on the writing credits as often as it had in the past and he wasn't get as many lead vocals etc... thats my take on it anyway
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx