gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:24:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock n Roll - the dark ages?  (Read 2007 times)
halblaineisgood
« on: March 22, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »

whenever I watch these rock n roll documentaries, they always talk about the period between the beatles and "when the music died" (holly, Berry goes to jail, Elvis army etc.) as if there was no good rock n roll made during the period. This is such a silly idea, in fact I think that period between the late fifties and the beatles is my favorite period of rock n roll. Some of the best tracks ever were made during that period. There were the early hits of the Beach Boys, most of Spector's greatest productions....people like Dion, and Del Shannon were making some of the greatest singles of all time, there were some great hits by the drifters, and Ben e. King, Even Elvis made some wonderful singles during that period, like Little Sister, Mess of blues, etc. Any thoughts?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:09:26 AM »

I guess this belongs in general music discussion, sorry.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:29:17 PM »

Well the Beach Boys part in this era cannot be overestimated. This was a great period musically, it just didn't bring forth a lot of social rebellion. Many snobbish critics tend to overlook this but frankly the Beach Boys were part of what paved the way for the Beatles make their impact. This was done by writing more personal lyrics, wearing longer hair etc. Every year of the sixties and fifties had tremendous amounts of great music recorded. It's just a matter of historical cliches running away with themselves.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx