gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680971 Posts in 27624 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 02:22:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys week on American Idol?  (Read 3216 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:56:50 AM »

Every year around this time, I post a question on a message board or a mailing list asking fans what songs they would see the current batch of American Idol finalists singing if there were to be a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson week coming up.   (Yes, I'm bored and can't sleep!)

What do you see them performing?

Here are some ideas, just off the top of my head:

Gina - It's About Time
Haley - Lonely Sea
Lakisha - Sail On Sailor
Melinda - In My Room
Jordin - I'm So Young
Stephanie - Everyone's In Love With You
Chris R - She Believes In Love Again
Chris S - Forever
Sanjaya - She Knows Me Too Well
Blake -  California Dreamin'
Phil - Chasin' The Sky

This year's batch doesn't seem as BB-friendly as years past.  It's kind of hard to find good matches.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 11:11:21 AM »

Sanjaya: Hey Little Tomboy
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 11:46:06 AM »

Sanjaya: Hey Little Tomboy
LOL
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:21:43 PM »

I've not been following this season, however I think all of the males should have to do a medley of Surfer Girl, Surf's Up, Don't Talk...anything with a lot of register changes between voices.  A good test I would think.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:34:55 PM »

Can anyone tell me what is up with the voting this season?!?

It's worse than last year when Chicken Little was still in the competition. 

How in the world is Sanjaya still there, when Sundance and Brandon Rogers are gone?

Grrrrr....

That said, I'd love a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys week... 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:35:59 PM by GoofyJeff » Logged

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:43:08 PM »

I wouldn't want anything to do with the BBs on American Idol. That show isn't worthy. Let them do Beatles songs on that show.

Obviously, I'm not a fan of the show at all. Therefore, I won't leave a post on this topic.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:13 PM »

I dont think any American Idol could ever pull off Surf's Up. Sorry.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 07:46:11 PM »

Can anyone tell me what is up with the voting this season?!?

It's worse than last year when Chicken Little was still in the competition. 

How in the world is Sanjaya still there, when Sundance and Brandon Rogers are gone?

Grrrrr....

That said, I'd love a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys week... 

I don't follow the show but this caught my eye.Last season I read a story about a guy who had so much contempt for the show that he had started the idea of getting like minded people to vote for the worst performer with the idea that the artist would win and be given the album deal. I seem to remember he had 250000 on board then and it was growing but his goal was to demonstrate just how dumb the concept of the show was.

edit....and here it is. Sanjaya is indeed the chosen one.

http://www.votefortheworst.com/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 07:56:46 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:57:18 AM »

This very idea of Idol doing a "music of brian Wilson/ The Beach Boys" theme got to me after the "Brittish Invasion" theme. I really think it could work! It certainly would brighten up the serious overtone of the show for one week. The Beach Boys/ Brian Wilson music catalog is large enough to accomodate all of the current contestants vocal and performing styles. I honestly think that each week the judges, and Ryan should dress for the current theme. I was hoping to see Ryan this past week in a Nero jaclet.LOL I think that would give the show a bit of character too. obviously for The Beach Boys music it would be a lighter/ optimistic feel. Hawaiin shirts, bathing suits, beach balls bouncing around the audience, surfboards, maybe even a deuce coupe or stingray on stage. The only trouble I believe with them doing BIG acts like The Beatles and the Beach Boys is copyrights. Darn legal issues always to ruin the themes. "Idol" needs to get permission from the copyright holders to be able to use any songs. Hell, if "Idol" DID use these guidelines and do a Beach boys themed show, not only would i watch it, but i would have to record it!! because I would be so blown away that they could lighten up.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 06:55:47 AM »

I'd be kinda surprised if they didn't get around to a beach boys-themed week at some point.  The question is could they get Brian to come in and show the kids how to sing the songs, or would Mike do it?  Either way, I agree it'd be a blast to see.

It looks like in the past week the Sanjaya thing got going by the ET/Inside Edition shows catching wind of that vote for the worst website and Howard Stern beating the drum to vote for him (He recently interviewed the guy that runs the website).
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 07:17:51 AM »

I'd be all for seeing a Beach Boys week on Idol, as long as Brian's band replaced the Idol band and Brian was the one working with the contestants.  There is such a vast catalogue to choose from (all legal issues aside), and a great singer could really knock their songs out of the park.  Of course, it might be a train wreck too (like a few years back where the finalists did a BB medley - ouch!).  But I'd still love to see it happen someday.
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 10:11:35 AM »

Hello After posting her, I immediately posted the same comment to the American Idol message board. Under "ryan" and "the judges" sections. Mybe if "the powers that be" hear it, they may work out the details to make it happen. I am just trying to put a bug in the ears of people that can make it happen. My last post there made referrence to the idea of seing Simon Cowell in a Hawaiin shirt alone, may get people to want to watch. Also I mentioned that advertisers would most likely want to capitolize on that cash cow experience. I guess we'll have to wait and see. People here could also post on the American Idol message board to my post and maybe the producers will see there is an interest.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 04:59:31 PM »

Speaking of Idol...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 11:28:35 PM »

I have been thinking for a while that a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys night would be a great idea - both fun and a great to introduce the music to another generation (not to mention the virtue of 30 million + viewers).

But Brian's band wouldn't be involved and why should it be?  The contestents aren't going to likely wow anyone here with their versions and that's ok.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 10:55:02 AM »

The only reason I'd want Brian's band in there is that I don't think the AI backing singers are all that good.  BB songs require perfect harmony singing, and nobody today is better at that than Brian's band.  Not like mainstream America would notice the difference, of course. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx