gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:01:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian pre recorded tape at Capitol  (Read 3342 times)
wertydoot
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »

I remember watching the Beach Boys movie ( i forgot what it was called) where Brian has a prerecorded tape of simple words, and he uses it inside Capitol.  Can anyone shed more light on this?  Was this true? Thanks
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:00:42 AM »

I believe its called The Beach Boys: An American Family. I don't know if it's true, but I really like that movie, even if it is a bit inaccurate the acting is still a lot better than that in the Summer Dreams movie. I also like that movie because it was my first real glimpse into the world of the Beach Boys (before I was aware of what songs they did - I didnt know who I Get Around, California Girls, WIBN, GOK, Fun Fun Fun, surfin U.S.A or any of their hits were by them) - so thats probably part of the reason why I like that movie. But overall an enjoyable viewing experience. I still watch it occassionally, I wish it came out on DVD. From memory, wasn't Alan Boyd on the credits of that movie somewhere? I'm probably wrong Cheesy
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:34:17 AM »

It's true: documented in several books.

That's the funny thing about that mini-series: the detail is impeccable (down to the "I Know Brian's Dad" buttons) but the broader strokes are sometimes contentious ("See, that's your hook")

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 05:12:05 AM »

I think the first part of the movie (Except for how little credit Dennis gets) is almost perfect. I think the second part is terrible.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 06:56:12 AM »

It's true: documented in several books.

That's the funny thing about that mini-series: the detail is impeccable (down to the "I Know Brian's Dad" buttons) but the broader strokes are sometimes contentious ("See, that's your hook")

"I Know Brian's Dad" buttons' what's that?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 08:11:57 AM »

"I Know Brian's Dad" buttons' what's that?

Murry gave them to attendees at the early concerts.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:13:26 AM »

... the broader strokes are sometimes contentious ("See, that's your hook")

I don't remember this quote -- what 'hook' were they referring to?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:09:13 AM »

I'm pretty sure Andrew is referring to the Mike Love character coming up with the "hook" for "Good Vibrations" which causes the Brian Wilson character to thank him profusely. The implication was that without Mike, "Good Vibrations" would have been junked.

I know Alan Boyd can speak for himself, but he has stated a number of times on this board that his credit on the miniseries is in no way an endorsement of the results. Apparently things began with the best of intentions on AAF...and ended in recriminations and lawsuits (fitting in a sad way, isn't it?).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:11:01 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:00:52 AM »

I'm pretty sure Andrew is referring to the Mike Love character coming up with the "hook" for "Good Vibrations" which causes the Brian Wilson character to thank him profusely. The implication was that without Mike, "Good Vibrations" would have been junked.

I know Alan Boyd can speak for himself, but he has stated a number of times on this board that his credit on the miniseries is in no way an endorsement of the results. Apparently things began with the best of intentions on AAF...and ended in recriminations and lawsuits (fitting in a sad way, isn't it?).

That's classic!  I haven't seen the film in a long long time, and didn't remember that part.  You're right Andrew, it is odd how they can catch a little detail like the buttons, while at the same time suggest that Brian Wilson needed anyone (let alone Mike) to come up with the hook of his biggest record. 
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:12:10 AM »

Why then is Mike credited on BWPS for GV?? I think the melody belongs to Brian (left hand on the piano) and Mike just inserted the words, "I'm picking up GV's..." on that part.
Thats funny about the pre- recorded tapes played at Capitol! I wonder if Brian ever explained why he did that?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:25:57 AM by noname » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 11:51:16 AM »

it also refers to a scene when Brian wrote the verses of i get around, and then mike comes up with the chorus

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »

Another drawback with that movie is you having the actor playing Brian adopting a post-'75, "Carl from Caddyshack" style of speech for the early years.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 08:53:51 PM »

Why then is Mike credited on BWPS for GV?? I think the melody belongs to Brian (left hand on the piano) and Mike just inserted the words, "I'm picking up GV's..." on that part.

Partly because of that, and also the opening words: "I, I love the colorful clothes she wears" as well as "I don't know where but she sends me there" and "gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations a-happenin' with her". Brian didn't want to get sued...again.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
MBE
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 11:43:09 PM »

Mike's part in Good Vibes is not in dispute, it's how pathetic they made Brian look in the scene. begging Mike to write with him again, acting all brain damaged in 66. The actor made some very bad choices.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 08:50:50 AM »

I agree...it's almost as if they condensed everything from 66-79 into the last part of the movie. I would like to see a real movie or documentary that truly portrays these great musicians with the care and respect they deserve. I never thought of that... Brian begging Mike....thats funny! I would've liked to see Mike going on the trip where he was going to learn how to levitate...guess there wasn't enough time for that.

Summer_Days...thanx for the info on GV's, it is worth knowing to me because in my book there is no better song.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 12:52:56 PM by noname » Logged
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 02:31:33 PM »

Thats funny about the pre- recorded tapes played at Capitol! I wonder if Brian ever explained why he did that?

I think Brian was obligated by the contract to attend the meetings, but not to speak.  The tapes were an obnoxious, yet legal way to deal with the label.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx