gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:45:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Falling-asleep music  (Read 16106 times)
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »

I fell asleep listening to "My Bloody Valentine" last week and had a night of unsettling dreams.  Great, dreamy music...but it must have been out of balance with my subconcious mind.  I've often fell asleep to the great Spector's "Back to Mono".

In college, during the years 1991-1992, I listened to Loveless every night for oh, 5-6 months straight. Kevin Shields has specifically stated there is a hypnogoic element to his work.

I can not NOT go to bed with music.

I was listening to "Loveless", too!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2012, 08:56:19 PM »

Aybe Sea by Frank Zappa puts me to sleep every time. It's got such a soothing and pretty melody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnAnpOUUzow

A discipline daddy.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports or to be more precise, the first 5-10 minutes of 1/1, as I've never gotten past that. That piano melody can do no wrong.

Others: Miles Davis' A Silent Way, Joanna Newsom's YS, Lou Reed's Berlin, Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding, Neil Young's After The Gold Rush, Beck's Sea Change, the second side of "Heroes", King Crimson's Islands (the song), The Moody Blues' 'Days of Future Passed'.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »

I love music too much.  I turn it off and go right out.

beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2013, 04:45:58 AM »

I agree with Banana. Enya would be great for that or the LP  " Friends "  or just buy a good quality recording of the ocean  with the sound of the waves coming in to the shore............ you WILL snore for shore. LOL
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »

Tapestry by Carole King is a great album to fall asleep to.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »

Lately I've been going to sleep with Aaron Copland's Our Town Suite.  Very hushed, meditative and RELAXING!  Also, his Quiet City is nice to nod off to!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »

There's got to be a John Cage 4'33 joke in here somewhere.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2013, 05:35:24 AM »

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread after posting. Some interesting suggestions, will check them later.

I can't listen to music and go to sleep.  I'll never go to sleep!  I can't listen to anything, even the radio.  It'll keep me up all night.  I always pick up on the melody, or the beat of the song and hum along or whatever.  Even if I've never heard it, or don't like the song. 

I also can't sleep in complete silence.  What I do, every night, is turn on the television in my bedroom, and play.... INFOMERCIALS!  It's the only thing I've found that's boring enough that I can ignore it, but has enough ambient noise that I don't get annoyed by the silence.  I turn it down to where I can just barely hear it. 

I can't put it on a movie or a television show either, because I'll get interested in it and want to see how it ends, lol. 
Excellent post, Ron! Doubt about infomercials (coz I'm allergic to them & don't watch TV anyway), but it's still quite an idea. In addition to the underlined bit, you can set the sleep time of your TV by clicking on remote's Menu --> Timer. Even old models have this function - f.ex., my "Vestel" (early 2000s). So you needn't wake up in the middle & switch it off yourself, very convenient. Just giving some sort of advice here (though maybe you already know this stuff).

Henry Gross' "Shannon" works amazingly as the lullaby. Also "Hammond Song" by The Roches, it's got that tranquil effect.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »

There's got to be a John Cage 4'33 joke in here somewhere.
Oh, you...

While I've never actually tried it, the soundtrack to the film "Children of A Lesser God" by Michael Convertini is incredibly soothing, and would be very nice to fall asleep to. A wonderful combination of strings, keyboards and synth. The only bummer would be "Boomerang", (a horrid 80's pop song that sounds like it was made by a goofy dad trying to look cool in front of his daughter) but we don't have to talk about that...

A very relaxing album overall.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »

Eno/Fripp: Evening Star
Grateful Dead: Live Dead
Radiohead: Kid A
Pink Floyd: Obscured By Clouds
Nico: The End (if you wanna have really horrendous nightmares)
Can: Saw Delight
John Cale/Terry Riley: Church Of Anthrax

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »

Falling asleep to LIVE DEAD are you kidding ..?  Your pulling our leg now right..! LOL
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »

Falling asleep to LIVE DEAD are you kidding ..?  Your pulling our leg now right..! LOL

Not at all! I'm usually out by the time Dark Star's not even over and when lucky will wake back up just in time for  And We Bid You Goodnight! Smiley
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »

You slept thru FEEDBACK..?  I never cared much for side 4 of the lp..1st 3 sides I would party to on a regular basis..
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2015, 09:15:30 AM »

Oh perfect, I love this kind of music. I usually never fall asleep to music, but living in the city... sometimes it helps to block out all the frat partying next door or the ambulances with something that actually sounds nice.

I've listened to Wincing the Night Away many times before while falling asleep.
On a really noisy night I put on Fear Fun by FJM, which worked amazingly.

But I'm all down for suggestions, either for any future noisy nights or just some relaxing music playlists. I'm a sucker for listening to full albums while falling asleep, though. Even though you just end up listening to the A side... haha.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2015, 10:09:09 AM »

Lou Reed's Berlin,

I used to have that on while falling asleep and I'd inevitably wake up into some not-quite-conscious-not-quite-unconscious state at "The Kids." This was unpleasant.

Similarly, back in the late '90s and early '00s I used to listen to Radiohead's OK Computer while falling asleep and I'd just start dozing when the latter part of "Paranoid Android--maybe 8 minutes into the album? but before the hard guitars at the very end--would come on. When you're nearly asleep, that is very creepy. Very creepy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »

Side 1 of "Strange Days" by The Doors, low volume.
"Love Me Two Times" might wake you up a little, but "Moonlight Drive"... ahh.   

http://youtu.be/VxnpBbRnIM0

Listen, listen, listen...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2015, 01:45:40 AM »

This album by Jon Mark and Johnny Almond makes pretty good end-of-day listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPYyjdSZa0M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark-Almond

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 06:48:58 PM »

I think I've listened to Strange Days once. I'm not super familiar with them. My friend loves the Doors, though.

This album by Jon Mark and Johnny Almond makes pretty good end-of-day listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPYyjdSZa0M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark-Almond
Listening now. I dig it. Very chill music. I'm enjoying 70's tunes lately.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2015, 09:20:24 PM »

Brian's first solo album is just about the best thing in the world to drift off to.
KDS
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »

I never used to fall asleep to music, but my fiance likes putting the light classical station on the TV, so I've gotten used to falling asleep to that.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »

for the past few nights I've been falling asleep to Sufjan Stevens. Futile Devices is a perfect way to lull yourself to sleep.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2015, 12:04:32 AM »

My ex-gf made a tape to fall asleep to, one side Paul McCartney, the other side John Lennon. The Paul side had Back Seat of My Car, Some People Never Know, So Bad, No More Lonely Nights, Junk; the John side had Old Dirt Road, Bless You, Out the Blue, Jealous Guy, Oh My Love. I can't remember all the songs, but it was great music to doze off to.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2015, 05:18:53 AM »

Rockabye Baby........ A CD of Beach Boys songs for infants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npn_J9CxKZ0
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2015, 10:16:23 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21VecIIdBI
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx