gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:35:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Falling-asleep music  (Read 16901 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 01:30:17 PM »

Grin

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 07:55:12 PM »

Try Raymond Scott's "Soothing Sounds For Baby" series. Very simple music, but immensely relaxing. Recommended for all Scott fans.

Who ... WHO ... RELAXES TO THIS sh*t? It's fuckin' MADDENING, is what it is.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 09:50:54 PM »

I listen to early 70's Pink Floyd bootlegs especially Amsterdam 1969 and Montreux 1971 (includes 30 minute Atom Heart Mother)
Maybelline
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 11:57:48 AM »

Anything by Ulrich Schnauss.. very calming..
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2006, 07:10:41 AM »

Spiritulized, ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

Jeff Buckley Grace

Discreet  Music Brian Eno  (thats my sh*t..my fav.. I had a friend call and wake me up once  he said he heard the  sounds of heaven  coming outta  my house.... thats right  I do it up right when I sleep...  )

xoxoxoxo
suga :D
Jason
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »

Try Raymond Scott's "Soothing Sounds For Baby" series. Very simple music, but immensely relaxing. Recommended for all Scott fans.

Who ... WHO ... RELAXES TO THIS merda? It's fodain' MADDENING, is what it is.

It's put me to sleep a few times.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2006, 02:05:28 PM »

McCartney II (with two or three songs programmed off the CD).  Most relaxing, turn your mind off album I think I have.  Perfect for that.

Agreed, also R.E.M. Up and anything by Stereolab.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2006, 07:03:15 AM »

Rush - Hemispheres

Why, I don't know. 

Feh.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2006, 07:25:28 AM »

The only album I remember falling asleep while listening to is a compilation cover album of cartoon theme songs, featuring artists such as Sublime, Liz Phair, Semisonic, and the Ramones.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »

The only album I remember falling asleep while listening to is a compilation cover album of cartoon theme songs, featuring artists such as Sublime, Liz Phair, Semisonic, and the Ramones.

It's so strange that I did this. I remember listening to that CD, but never while drifting off to sleep.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 11:26:29 AM »

Interesting revived topic. I have a few that I generally put on closer to lights out:

"Tide" and "Wave" by Jobim
"Andromeda Heights" by Prefab Sprout
Snippets of Paddy McAloon's "I Trawl the Megahertz" (it's so damn hard to find)
"On the Beach" by Neil Young (sometimes "Tonight's the Night") -- not necessarily sleepy music but definitely nighttime music.
"Bryter Layter" by Nick Drake
The "Music from Twin Peaks" (season one)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »

Radiohead - Tree Fingers (althought it's a very creepy/strange song I tend to always listen to it when I need to relax and zzzzzzzzzz)
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »

Color Wheel by Growing
Paul Simon
Slave Ambient by The War On Drugs
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »

I use music to get me super-tired, but I can never actually fall asleep with it on - mainly because I'm a stomach/side sleeper and that doesn't work when you have headphones.
I don't listen to any aggresive music, so pretty much anything works.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »

Spiritulized, ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

Jeff Buckley Grace

Discreet  Music Brian Eno  (thats my sh*t..my fav.. I had a friend call and wake me up once  he said he heard the  sounds of heaven  coming outta  my house.... thats right  I do it up right when I sleep...  )

xoxoxoxo
suga :D

As soon as I saw this thread I knew I was going to post Brian Eno's Discreet Music. Looks like someone beat me to the punch, but then again, I should have known it wasn't a very original thought! I've listened to that album at least 100 times in the past 3-4 years to go to sleep. Other Eno stuff too, but mainly that one.

Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space is one of my all time favorites too. I had the good fortune to see Jason Pierce after a Brian Wilson Smile show in London back in 2004 and thank him for that album. Smiley

Another one heavy in the beddy-bye rotation: Slowdive's Pygmalion.

Oh, and various Cocteau Twins. Some guys down the hall from me in college played Blue Bell Knoll EVERY night on repeat. I would often hear it while staying up late using their computer to type papers.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:28:00 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »

Brian Eno "Julie With..." from his album Before and After Science.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »

What a fantastic album.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »

I was driving on the last leg of a 12 hour road trip at 12'o'clock at night, I put on Eno's Apollo and it was a fun game trying to keep myself awake - incredibly surreal experience!
______

Any of James Horner's soundtracks always lull me to sleep fairly fast...(Apollo 13, A beautiful Mind, Searching For Bobby Fischer, etc).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »

The Moody Blues' "Days Of Future Passed". Gets me everytime. I can either intently listen to it all the way through during the day, or put it on at night and be asleep by the time "Dawn" comes on. Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »

Someone tell me if I'm the only one.

I can't listen to music and go to sleep.  I'll never go to sleep!  I can't listen to anything, even the radio.  It'll keep me up all night.  I always pick up on the melody, or the beat of the song and hum along or whatever.  Even if I've never heard it, or don't like the song. 

I also can't sleep in complete silence.  What I do, every night, is turn on the television in my bedroom, and play.... INFOMERCIALS!  It's the only thing I've found that's boring enough that I can ignore it, but has enough ambient noise that I don't get annoyed by the silence.  I turn it down to where I can just barely hear it. 

I can't put it on a movie or a television show either, because I'll get interested in it and want to see how it ends, lol. 
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 07:00:42 AM »

Someone tell me if I'm the only one.

I can't listen to music and go to sleep.  I'll never go to sleep!  I can't listen to anything, even the radio.  It'll keep me up all night.  I always pick up on the melody, or the beat of the song and hum along or whatever.  Even if I've never heard it, or don't like the song. 

I also can't sleep in complete silence.  What I do, every night, is turn on the television in my bedroom, and play.... INFOMERCIALS!  It's the only thing I've found that's boring enough that I can ignore it, but has enough ambient noise that I don't get annoyed by the silence.  I turn it down to where I can just barely hear it. 

I can't put it on a movie or a television show either, because I'll get interested in it and want to see how it ends, lol. 

I'm somewhat similar, I can't sleep with films/tv/music on but I enjoy having my window open a tad so as to enjoy the sounds of the outdoors (even better if it's raining) - obviously if it's very cold then some compromises may have to be made. Never thought I'd discuss sleeping habits on this forum but then again anything can happen here Grin

The choices I mention above are usually the albums I play during that period between stopping being active and getting into bed to watch Family Guy or something til I drift off (nothing too stimulating, like Frasier, or I'll be up all night). Works a treat.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 07:32:05 AM »

I fell asleep listening to "My Bloody Valentine" last week and had a night of unsettling dreams.  Great, dreamy music...but it must have been out of balance with my subconcious mind.  I've often fell asleep to the great Spector's "Back to Mono".

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »

Shepherd Moons by Enya. Yup.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 07:50:46 AM »

Enya is also great when you have a little one.  I don't know what it is...but man...it's knocked out our kids quite a few times...for which I'm very thankful.  It's just relaxing music.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »

I fell asleep listening to "My Bloody Valentine" last week and had a night of unsettling dreams.  Great, dreamy music...but it must have been out of balance with my subconcious mind.  I've often fell asleep to the great Spector's "Back to Mono".

In college, during the years 1991-1992, I listened to Loveless every night for oh, 5-6 months straight. Kevin Shields has specifically stated there is a hypnogoic element to his work.

I can not NOT go to bed with music.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx