gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:17:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When I Grow Up To Be A Man - a bad word  (Read 4275 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2007, 04:50:49 AM »

Today (or tonight in Australia) I decided to put the bonus tracks (the vocal ones) from the GV Box Set on my computer as well as the Surfer Girl binaural mix from EH Soundtrack. Both backing tracks and particularly vocals are all stunning. However, I have something else to discuss, and it has probably already been discussed before (though not since Ive been a fan). In the When I Grow Up To Be A Man track when you isolate the vocals (although even on the actual song) you can hear someone swearing in the background. Listen to the line "Will I joke around and still dig those sounds" and just as the boys repeat "still dig those sounds" listen to somebody saying something (at about 0:36). When I heard it in the actual track I thought it was Dennis and I wasnt sure what he was saying but after isolating the vocals from the GV Box Set binaural mix it to my ears sounds like Mike. Anyway, just in case your wondering he says "F**ing themselves" or something in that manner. Don't believe me go and listen for yourself (particularly on the GV binaural mix). Somebody asked me once "Do The Beach Boys ever swear in their songs" and my reply was "of course not" but now I have to change that thinking. Does anyone else agree that Mike is swearing and that it IS Mike?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:51:52 AM by mikeyj » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:30:54 AM »

Somebody asked me once "Do The Beach Boys ever swear in their songs" and my reply was "of course not"

Maybe not, but I'm not sure if the PMRC would be too happy with the 'guest vocals' on the outro of "All I Want To Do"...  Grin
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:37:52 AM »

Somebody asked me once "Do The Beach Boys ever swear in their songs" and my reply was "of course not"

Maybe not, but I'm not sure if the PMRC would be too happy with the 'guest vocals' on the outro of "All I Want To Do"...  Grin

Yes very strange. That aswell as the screaming at the end of Be With Me really freak me out. I still am really sure that Mike swears in the song. Please can someone else check this as I want to see if anyone agrees. Smiley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 06:13:45 AM »

There's a few instances of profanity slipping through on recordings (as opposed to being part of the actual lyric) from various artists. On The Kingsmen's classic version of "Louie, Louie" you can hear the drummer yell out "F**k" as he misses a snare hit. Ironically, the FBI spent a considerable amount of time and money trying to determine if the recording's lyrics were obscene, but evidently never heard the expletive between verses! There is a similar outburst in the Beatles' "Hey Jude" during the transition into the coda when Paul feels that he screwed up on the basic track. Apparently it was decided that it wasn't that big of a deal and Paul masked it somewhat with one of his hair-raising yells. I think Dave Davies can be heard uttering "Sh*t" as well on the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" or "All Day & All Of The Night" when he comes in late for the guitar solo.

Now in The Beach Boys case, it sounds like Mike or Dennis were having a bit of fun layering in the profanity deliberately in "When I Grow Up". This reminds me of Dennis improvising the line "she's giving me a big erection" on the unreleased "Wild Situation" or his great double entendre lyric from "All I Want To Do": "...but there's one thing I want you to hold"! Or even the Beatles singing "tit-tit-tit-tit" all too knowingly during the bridge of "Girl"!
Funky_Pretty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 06:21:42 AM »

During the Surfer Girl rehearsals in Hawaii 1967, you can hear Bruce say, when he hits a wrong key on the organ: "Oh f*ck, son of a b*tch!"

It always makes me laugh. Cheesy
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:23:19 AM »

Didn't Mike Love donate a few thousand dollars to the PMRC (the people behind those 'parental advisory: explicit lyrics' stickers and stuff like that) a few years ago?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 06:56:51 AM »

you mean ALgores wife, Tipper.......
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 06:59:54 AM »

Yeah, the PMRC is her thing.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »

As an aside here:
  Hasn't anyone found it amazing that "Pigs(Three Different Ones)" by Pink Floyd off of the "Animals" LP still escapes the Censors and FCC when it comes to the radio.
  I mean "You F**ked up old hag,Ha Ha charade you are." STILL makes it on to the radio everytime......amazing.

Big Bri

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »

Ain't no radio stations round me cool enough to play that tune...what kills me is the smut played on the teeny-bopper stations that is passed of as music.....makes me long for days before my time when girls and guys actually danced and the music had some swing and a backbeat.....I can go on and on. I started already on the I'm no music snob thread.

"I need to dance right on the spot, the beats really hot..." IJWMFTT
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 12:17:24 PM »

Long Beach 1981- Sounds like Al (and maybe Dennis) singing Come on pretty baby and f*ck with me
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 12:17:52 PM »

This isn't an official mix by any stretch of the imagination, but here's a vocal only version of the song in stereo.

http://download.yousendit.com/C29C62894107C3E6

You can clearly hear that Mike is saying "Rocking those sounds".  They do say "69" after the fadeout though.   Evil
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »

Sometimes it is funny to hear what "bad" words make it through onto radio, and what ones don't. The first thing I think of is Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side," with the now-famous "even when she was giving head," line.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 04:14:59 PM »

This may be a borderline-swear word for some people, but in the unreleased "Life Is For The Living", Brian sings something to the effect of, "Don't sit around on your a## smoking grass; that stuff went out a long time ago."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 05:03:42 PM »

This may be a borderline-swear word for some people, but in the unreleased "Life Is For The Living", Brian sings something to the effect of, "Don't sit around on your a## smoking grass; that stuff went out a long time ago."

That is actually Carl singing that part. Brian comes in to sing the "Sit-ups and push-ups do take energy" part.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 11:01:01 PM »

That is actually Carl singing that part. Brian comes in to sing the "Sit-ups and push-ups do take energy" part.
You're absolutely right...for whatever reason, when I first heard it over a decade ago, I thought it was Brian, and even when I found out different soon afterward, I kept reverting to assuming that it was Brian...
MBE
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 01:57:36 AM »

I think Who Are You has the most played F word in radio history.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 03:31:05 AM »

On "Honkin' down the highway" (studio version), you can hear Al say "sh*t" when he messes up a part in the outro

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 06:15:36 AM »

He sings "rock & roll sounds." No profanities whatsoever.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 06:36:12 AM »

After turning up the volume and giving it a few good listens that is what it says. On my dodgy computer speakers and late at night (i had to play it reasonably low) it did sound A LOT like what I said, but yeh it does say what you said (or something close to that anyway)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »

After turning up the volume and giving it a few good listens that is what it says. On my dodgy computer speakers and late at night (i had to play it reasonably low) it did sound A LOT like what I said, but yeh it does say what you said (or something close to that anyway)

Oh well - it made for a fun thread anyway!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 11:03:54 AM »

This reminds me of the sessions for the Today! album, in which you can hear Brian (and I think Al and Mike) singing a parody of "Dance Dance Dance"... With "revised" lyrics. It only lasts for about 5 seconds and the thing goes like "I gotta f*ck, right on the spot, my c*ck's really hot" or something. And Ebb And Flow already mentioned the "69" at the end of When I Grow Up.

Undoubtedly locker room humor, but it's fun to listen to!  Grin

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx