gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:50:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite modern lyricized versions of classical music  (Read 8657 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2006, 05:34:42 AM »

Robin Thicke - When I Get You Alone (Beethoven's 5th)
Leftover Crack - Crack City Rockers (Pachelbel's Canon)
Captain Jack - Dream a Dream (In the Hall of the Mountain King)

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 02:58:35 PM »

I thought "Bittersweet Symphony" was quite nice...
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:08:54 PM »

I thought "Bittersweet Symphony" was quite nice...

...eh, I won't fight that, if by classical, you mean performed by an orchestra.

"A Lover's Concerto" is a good example of what I consider a modern lyrcized version of classical.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:10:30 PM »

Yeah but that was an orchestral version of 'The Last Time' by Jagger and Richards, which is why they (or more likely Allen Klein - is he still alive?) gets all the royalties to the song. Not really classical....(although for some kids these days it might as well be...)
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 05:11:28 PM »

Eric Carmen's "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" is from a  Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 2.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 05:14:59 PM »

Does "Because" by the Beatles count? If what I've heard is true (and it sounds like it), it's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata in reverse.
Nick T.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 07:20:35 PM »

Can I put in SRC's Morning Mood--Grieg Peer Gynt Suite " Morning"?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:01:20 PM »

Nick, you win. Worst/best avatar ever.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 08:02:51 PM »

Does "Because" by the Beatles count? If what I've heard is true (and it sounds like it), it's Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata in reverse.

What you've heard is an urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/because.htm
Nick T.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:06:37 PM »

Nick, you win. Worst/best avatar ever.

Does that garner me 4 couchez?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 08:13:37 PM »

Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, Monsieur Nick.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Nick T.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 08:16:57 PM »

Word.

By the way it's the worst.  Nothing beats Elvis in my book.  Later.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 08:26:57 PM »

A Whiter Shade Of Pale, Procol Harum: some say it isn't based on any one particular J.S. Bach composition, but it is very similar to, for example, "Air On The G String" and "Sleepers Awake".

It's All By Myself by Eric Carmen, not Never Gonna Fall In Love Again, that was based on Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto.

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles: contains strains of "Greensleeves" and the French national anthem.  ("Marseillaise")

American Tune, Paul Simon: a Bach chorale, "Fervent Is My Longing" (Huh)

Chest Fever, The Band: J.S. Bach's "Fugue in D Minor", in the intro.

Hello Muddah Hello Faddah, Allan Sherman: Ponchielli's "Dance Of The Hours".

Hook, Blues Traveler: Pachelbel's "Canon In D".

If, Bread: highly reminiscent of Beethoven's "Pathetique", 2nd Movement (Adagio).

Lady Lynda, The Beach Boys: J.S. Bach's "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring".

Same Old Lang Syne, Dan Fogelberg: Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture."

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:59:13 PM »

It's All By Myself by Eric Carmen, not Never Gonna Fall In Love Again, that was based on Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto.
Actually, we may both be right. You're talking "Piano Concerto 2," I'm talking "Symphony No. 2." Two different compositions. I'm positive beyond question that "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again" is from the symphony, I have it, the melody is identical, note for note, with the begining of the third movement. But maybe he also took "All By Myself" from the piano concerto. I haven't heard that. Kind of disappointing if he did, though. Once is enough. Carmen's written some great stuff, and I love the Raspberries, but he outright stole this melody. He didn't change a note. I'd hate to think all his biggest solo hits came straight out of someone else's pocket.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 09:52:02 AM »

Actually, we may both be right. You're talking "Piano Concerto 2," I'm talking "Symphony No. 2." Two different compositions. I'm positive beyond question that "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again" is from the symphony, I have it, the melody is identical, note for note, with the begining of the third movement. But maybe he also took "All By Myself" from the piano concerto. I haven't heard that. Kind of disappointing if he did, though. Once is enough. Carmen's written some great stuff, and I love the Raspberries, but he outright stole this melody. He didn't change a note. I'd hate to think all his biggest solo hits came straight out of someone else's pocket.

He admitted to stealing even from himself for "All By Myself" - from the Raspberries' "Let's Pretend".
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 09:57:22 AM »

The riff from "Night Of Fear" by The Move uses '1812 Overture'.

I will sue this blog and the owner
artie
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »

You are correct, Chance. Carmen claimed to pinch both of those melodies from Rachmoninov, but your statement about "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" is right on. And it is quite obvious from a listen to Symphony #2, which is gorgeous all the way through, that you are exactly right.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 12:07:06 PM »

What you've heard is an urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/because.htm

Interesting thanks for the link.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 12:44:44 PM »

Actually, the link says that it's partially true just not in the literal sense of playing the Sonata note-for-note backward.

Rather, John heard Yoko playing the Beethoven and asked her to reverse it. She adopted the strategy and used her classically-trained-musician smarts to create a smooth flowing piece inspired by, but not slavishly following, the reversed chords while retaining the original composition unreversed for the melody line.

It sounds like she deserves as much composer credit on this as the Beatles or Ludwig Van, a nice irony regarding this prettiest of tunes as turned out by one who's regularly slagged as an awful non-musician!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 12:48:47 PM by cabinessence » Logged
artie
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »

Billy Joel made "This Night," from An Innocent Man, directly out of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata.
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »

and, of course, KISS' "Great Expectations" opens with a quote from the Pathetique.

I will sue this blog and the owner
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 07:09:12 PM »

I love Beethoven's Pathetique (2nd Movement)...I hear it late at night on our local college radio, and it sometimes brings me to tears.  The only other piece of classical music that does that to me is "Rhapsody In Blue".
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »

Margo Guryan: "Someone I Know" (Bach: "Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring" AGAIN but put to good use here)
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 10:43:12 PM »

Parliament did a version of Pachabel's Canon with words, and so did many, many other bands, I believe, but I can't remember the titles or group names. (Related: Roy Wood in The Move referenced Jesu, Joy of plus Khatchaturian (already mentioned) and a dozen other prog-rock-jam starter-samples but I don't believe he borrowed any tunes wholesale, just fitted them with classical embellishments.)

FWIW Ennio Morricone has woven excerpts of Beethoven's "Für Elise" into many movies scores of his as major theme...but not theme tunes with lyrics as far as I know.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:45:34 PM by cabinessence » Logged
Evenreven
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 08:16:00 AM »

Carmen's written some great stuff, and I love the Raspberries, but he outright stole this melody. He didn't change a note. I'd hate to think all his biggest solo hits came straight out of someone else's pocket.
He outright STOLE All By Myself too. I listen to Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto from time to time and the verse melody of ABM is identical to parts of the 2nd piano concerto.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx