gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:44:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Who is your favourite Beach Boy
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson
Dennis Wilson
Al Jardine
Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
Other

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite BB?  (Read 54489 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 06:19:22 PM »

Taylor Mills

Because I'm just so dam PC ! Grin
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 06:22:55 PM »

Guess nobody has any love for John Stamos.... Cry
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 08:13:37 PM »

Stamos is a special guest star, not a Beach Boy.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 11:29:09 PM »

Brian, of course. But there are times, when I'm groovin' on the '67-'73 years, that Carl is tops for me.

I just like the Wilson Brothers the most, really. I am with Emdeeh, though; I feel these guys are only at their very best when all together. Like, Pet Sounds is Brian's greatest work, but it only really makes it because of the Beach Boys' voices. The vocal blend is perfect, too.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 12:26:19 AM »

For songwriting, it's a tie between Brian and Dennis.

Brian the songwriter (Pet Sounds, Smile, over 50 hit singles and much, much more) vs. Dennis the songwriter (about a dozen fan favorites and an underrated solo album) a tie?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 03:22:12 AM by shelter » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 02:27:01 AM »

Stamos is a special guest star, not a Beach Boy.

Star? Wink
MBE
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 03:31:57 AM »

For songwriting, it's a tie between Brian and Dennis.

Brian the songwriter (Pet Sounds, Smile, over 50 hit singles and much, much more) vs. Dennis the songwriter (about a dozen fan favorites and an underrated solo album) a tie?

Quality wise it is
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 03:58:55 AM »

Quality wise it is

Sure Dennis was a great songwriter as well, but in my opinion have never wrote anything, apart from Forever, that was in the same league as God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, Surf's Up, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Cabin Essence, Please Let Me Wonder or Heroes And Villains...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:17:22 AM by shelter » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 05:06:54 AM »

Quality wise it is

Sure Dennis was a great songwriter as well, but in my opinion have never wrote anything, apart from Forever, that was in the same league as God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, Surf's Up, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Cabin Essence, Please Let Me Wonder or Heroes And Villains...

While I love Brian and Dennis (I love the Wilson brothers all the same) I think its hard to judge that Brian is better or their both as good as each other. Because I think Brian got more of a chance (obviously) and when Dennis did get a chance he pretty much always came up with the goods. So if he had been given more of a chance then maby he couldve come close to Brian? Who knows, but ratio wise on how good their songs where I think its pretty close. And while maby Dennis lacked the arranging skills, production skills etc.. of Brian, he had a unique quality in his music (just as Brian does) and he had a passion in his singing that is miles ahead of what most people can deliver. And even though the production on POB might not be up to the standard of Pet Sounds, its irrelevant I believe because POB doesnt NEED that kind of production or whatever because its spose to be like that to go with Dennis's rough & passionate vocals (in my opinion).
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 05:18:53 AM »

Come on, what on earth did Dennis ever do that proves that he was in the same league as a guy that wrote Pet Sounds, Smile and about 50 hit singles? I agree that Dennis wrote some really great songs, but I think you're not giving Brian enough (or Dennis too much) credit here.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 05:23:07 AM by shelter » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 05:46:50 AM »

Come on, what on earth did Dennis ever do that proves that he was in the same league as a guy that wrote Pet Sounds, Smile and about 50 hit singles? I agree that Dennis wrote some really great songs, but I think you're not giving Brian enough (or Dennis too much) credit here.

If anything Itd be giving Dennis too much credit. I think Brian is the biggest musical genius ever. My point is that Dennis was never given a chance but if he was who knows, maby he couldve been up there with Brian I dont think he couldve matched Brian but he certainly couldve been up there with him. Dennis might not have the clean-cut sound that Brian had on his productions but Dennis had this raw thing about him where he was so honest and so passionate which that is so rare amongst most musicians/people. I mean I sure hate when I do something and then nobody even cares or encourages me, imagine how Dennis must've felt baring his soul like that and getting little attention from most people. Im not suggesting Dennis IS better/as good as/or near what Brian is BUT im just saying Dennis was never pushed by the band and therefore its hard to judge fairly because Brian was backed by everyone and Dennis wasn't. I just think that Dennis had qualities in his music that Brian didnt and vice-versa, and while Brian's songs are more catchy, more accessible Dennis's compositions still have their own positives. I Know its a "what-if" just like "what if Brian had completed SMiLE - where could he have gone on from there" but Im just saying Dennis was an extremely talented songwriter just like Brian though just very different.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 06:25:17 AM »

My point is that Dennis was never given a chance but if he was who knows

I think Dennis would've gotten the chance eventually if he would've had a little more self-discipline.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 06:36:19 AM »

My point is that Dennis was never given a chance but if he was who knows

I think Dennis would've gotten the chance eventually if he would've had a little more self-discipline.

Yeh I agree Dennis did create a lot of his own problems, it was just in his nature, but underneath all of that there was a special soul inside of him, and most of the band (i feel) couldnt see past all of his 'antics' etc.... So much potential wasted if you ask me
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 06:53:07 AM »

Johnny Stamos cooked up some hot beats with his fresh skills, yo. Drumroll
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 06:58:54 AM »

I can't say I dislike the 1992 version of Forever... Of course it's not nearly as good as the original, but for a cover (cause that's what it basically is) it's really not bad at all. Stamos did an OK job there.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2007, 08:00:43 AM »

I crack up everytime I see Mr. Stamos in the Kokomo video. You know, from what Bruce said in the interview published in the MAKING OF PET SOUNDS book from the box set, he didn't seem like a bad dude. I really liked his insight into Brians' creative processes. He also seemed grateful that Brian gave him parts in California Girls and You Still Believe in Me even though perhaps it wasn't necessary.
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 09:01:56 AM »

I picked Brian, mostly because I sorta see pre-67 Beach Boys as one band and when the dynamic changed in mid to late 67, they morphed into a different band. The Beach Boys that really get me jazzed was the one when Brian was at the helm. Post '67 it tends to be stuff here and there that I like okay, and those still tend to be Brian's contributions. It drops off drastically after Sunflower. Sort of either clarifying or complicating my indifference towards later BBs is fact that I'm generally not a big fan of 70's rock (at least until the punk thing happened) anyway, so the later BBs might hold their own within the context of the early 70's, but I'm not a fan of that genre so it still doesn't move me.

Anyway, enough outta me...

Dean
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »

Quote from: shelter

Yup, it's a tie if you like them both equally as songwriters. This is about favorites, not volume of work, just about how much their music pleases me.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2007, 01:02:59 PM »

Because of the discussion on the songwriting merits of Dennis and Brian over the past page or two, I wanted to weigh in my opinion between them. I think that both of these two were great songwriters, but I give Brian more than a slight edge for a couple of reasons:

1) Brian, based on my understanding, did a lot more of his own arrangements, whereas Dennis was more likely to leave them to people like Daryl Dragon. Dennis' melodies were great, but it seems like Brian (in his "good" years, followed through, whereas even in Dennis' prolific years, I understand him to have "outsourced" that part of the work.

2) For my taste, Brian had more restraint, or taste. Dennis' songs went too far into over-the-top sentimentality for me, whereas even when Brian got sugary, it wasn't quite so far along. Of course I realize this is purely based on an individual's taste, so I don't expect others to think the same thing--it's just my opinion.

A quick thing on Stamos, too: I would never talk smack about him. Man, I envy him! Good-looking guy who got to be a Beach Boy for a while? (Oh, and marry Rebecca Romijn!) Sounds like a good life to me. Sure, the 90s forever was cheese, but who cares? Most everything in the 90s was cheese. (By the way, was that his responsibility, or was he just singing over a track arranged by others? I never did know that whole story of how Forever came about again, other than to push along a Full House episode.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2007, 01:58:48 PM »

Didn't mean to talk smack about him, just wanted to have a laugh at his expense... not unlike Mr. Love Banana
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2007, 02:02:15 PM »

Didn't mean to talk smack about him, just wanted to have a laugh at his expense... not unlike Mr. Love Banana

Did you think I was having a laugh at his expense? I hope you don't think that was what I was doing. My words about Mr. Stamos were meant to be taken literally. If you meant you were having a laugh at his expense, then I'm sorry i misunderstood you.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2007, 06:44:09 PM »

it's all good.... Smiley
MBE
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 01:53:47 AM »

Quality wise it is

Well it all really boils down to everyone having different taste. For example I like Brian's 67-72 compositions every bit as much as his 62-66. They never sold as much but musically I like them. Brian is the best, but Dennis had his own sound and really went places with it. Again just my opinion
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 10:56:58 AM »

A little late on the topic, but here's my list:

1. Brian

2. Carl
3. Al & Bruce
4. Dennis
5. Mike

But really... I like them all. Brian is on top, but all the others are really in a tie. Ask me the same question tomorrow and my answer would probably not be the same.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MBE
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 05:10:12 AM »

[
1) Brian, based on my understanding, did a lot more of his own arrangements, whereas Dennis was more likely to leave them to people like Daryl Dragon.

DD said that Dennis gave him WAY too much credit for what he did. He said all he really did was get Dennis' ideas down in a proper manner. At least as far as songwriting went and production.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx