gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:34:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Who is your favourite Beach Boy
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson
Dennis Wilson
Al Jardine
Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
Other

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite BB?  (Read 54559 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2007, 03:28:39 AM »

I was just wondering, and I know its probably been discussed to death, but who is your favourite Beach Boy. I honestly cant choose between the Wilson Brothers as I love them all, so Im not going to even vote. Im assuming the three most popular amongst most fans are Brian, Carl & Dennis. There's just something about them all (to me anyway) that just makes them cool and interesting in their own little ways, plus they were the most talented in the band (in my opinion - in order 1. Brian 2. Dennis 3. Carl) Those three guys are my three musical heroes Smiley. Anyway, what do you think?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 03:40:01 AM »

Well, I voted -  no prizes for guessing my vote - but would the result be different if the question was "Which Beach Boy would you like to have been?"   Which leads to the question, why would I want to have been the womanising, hard-drinking, drug taking, Manson-pandering, first-to-die band member!?!?!? Nevertheless that would be my vote!

“We live in divisive times.”
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 03:44:46 AM »

1. Brian

2. Carl
3. Dennis
4. Bruce
5. Al
6. Mike
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 03:46:02 AM by shelter » Logged
MBE
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 04:27:22 AM »

Thought I'd add why I ranked each name like I did
1.Brian-When he was in his 20s he was just such a great singer and composer. He had a style about him that was cool and a humor I like. He invented so many new sounds.
2. Dennis-Just as unique as Brian he was also a great singer in his 20s. His writing was always terrific too, and just his coolness and realness. Charisma is what he and Brian had. Only wish he had been featured more. 
3. Carl-Not as charismatic as his brothers, his voice was technically better in some ways if not as distinct. He was a terrific performer, and soulful. Not a prolific writer, he was a wonderful interpreter. He certainly had talent and shared the passion for music that his brothers has but not the individuality. He was overall more consistent then either of them but never quite reached their heights.
4 Al-Good singer, fairly talented songwriter, very good live performer, just an all round great entertainer. Not very dynamic he never really carved a sound away from Brian's, but like Carl worked great within the Beach Boys framework
5 Mike-He is ranked this low for almost all of his creative choices since 1976. In the early days he was a great writer and harmony singer. His lead's were very distinctive if not as passionate as the Wilson's. Like Brian and Dennis his was best in his youth, but unlike them he totally wasted his talents later.
6 Blondie-He has the best voice of the five non original members and wrote some damn good songs too. Very talented totally different sound then the Beach Boys
7 Ricky-I feel he was a great musician and fine singer. He wrote some good stuff as well and was good in the Rutles. I like the Flame very much. Only reason he is lower then Blondie is because he didn't have the same power in his voice.
8 Bruce-Good for what he is which is a pop composer. Decent Brian knockoff's early in his career gave way to a certain degree of blandness. He is not a prolific writer and while Deirdre and Disney are great Beach Boys records, they were the last songs of his I really like. His and Mike's Don't Run Away was good. Just a bit too MOR and helped the Beach Boys become less soulfull in the 80s. He obviously is a good musician but is vastly underused within the group.
9 Dave I guess I really don't think he had a chance to really contribute, his guitar playing seemed to fit fine and Stebbins is correct when he said Dave added a more youthful vibe then Al. Haven't heard enough of his later work to make an informed judgement but nothing knocked me out that I heard. Not that it was bad he seems to be a pleasent singer and did become quite a good musician. Just didn't get to do that much within the Beach Boys.
10. Glen-Only there a few months was a good studio player. Decent  country artist though not a real fave. Guess I'm Dumb is a great record.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:36:14 AM by MBE » Logged
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 04:35:07 AM »

1. Carl Wilson
2.Brian Wilson
3.Al Jardine
4.Ricky Fataar
5.Blondie Chaplin
6.Dennis Wilson
7.Mike Love
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 04:40:31 AM »

Did this some time ago on the german message board and it was quite interesting.
Anyway, my list has changed a little bit:

1. Carl
2. Dennis
    Mike (hit me Grin)
4. Al
5. Brian
6. Bruce
7. David
8. Glenn
9. Ricky
    Blondie

I don't know why but since the 90ies I don't like Al, Mike, Brian and Bruce so much.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:13:54 AM »

I don't know why but since the 90ies I don't like Al, Mike, Brian and Bruce so much.

Yeah, Dennis hasn't endeared himself to me recently either  LOL

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:57:17 AM »

My favorite has always been Dennis. I'm not going into 'why'...that would take a while to explain...but I have my reasons.

Brian was most important, but Dennis is still my favorite.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:18:05 PM by melissalynn » Logged
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 09:47:42 AM »

1. Mike
2. Carl
3. Brian
4. Dennis
5. Blondie
6. Ricky
7. Al
8. David
9. Bruce

Mike has always had the most interesting, hard-to-pin-down personality to me

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 10:32:49 AM »

["Brian is the BB's, we're just his messengers"] Dennis Wilson 
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 10:33:56 AM »

DOES JOHN STAMOS COUNT?Huh??!!!!!!!
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:41 AM »

Brian - obviously
Mike- I just like his voice (up until say 1971 or 2) a lot
Carl - seems so gentle and has a really good voice
Al- Just seems likeable
Dennis - VERY interesting and probably fun to party with but probably exhausting too
Bruce - Bland city
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 10:53:30 AM »

Heck, I was all set to vote for BB King.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 12:13:11 PM »

I was gonna vote for a BB gun.

I voted for Brian. Without him there's nothing.
My full order:

Brian
Dennis [he put the rock and roll in the band]
Carl
Mike [one of the most distinctive leads in rock]
Alan
Dave
Bruce
Ricky [because he was a Rutle]
Blondie
SG7
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 12:19:36 PM »

Most girls always say Dennis or Carl (or is it just me?) ... I've always been a Brian girl. I was totally struck by his weirdness and how attractive he was. He always fasinated me and still does I feel. I do like the other brothers, but BW stole my heart.
Wilsonista
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 12:49:35 PM »

1. Brian
2. Coming in at a very close second, Dennis.
3. Carl, a very solid third.
4. Al 
5. David Marks
6. Blondie
7. Ricky
8. Mike.

Oh come on, you knew I was going to put the Lovester last! Grin
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »

1) Brian

2) Carl & Dennis

3) Al

4) Mike

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »

Brian
Dennis
Carl
Al
Mike
Bruce
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »

On my taste in their music (meaning compositional skill, singing voice, instrumental ability, production skill) alone:

1. Brian
2. Carl
3. Al and Dennis
5. Bruce
6. Mike

(If I were adding Ricky and Blondie, they'd both fall just after Al and Dennis, before Bruce.)

If I were going to get into my impressions of their personalities and things, I'm sure the list would change some...oh wait, no it wouldn't! But I must say, I'm sure I would have despised Brian by the early-to-mid 70s if I were anyone else in the band.

EDIT: I just noticed there is only one Dennis vote. That is a little surprising, considering he has these assets in such a vote: 1) women would love him for certain obvious reasons; 2) some segment of men would love him for the same reasons; 3) most other men probably wish to a certain degree they WERE him; 4) his music has a tough quality and an emotional quality to attract each of the above segments!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:06:16 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »

Dennis is so good but Brian is Brian. I don't think Brian was disliked by the band until the 80s Landy era.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 03:25:56 PM »

I don't think Brian was disliked by the band until the 80s Landy era.

I don't really know, other than what is in the books. I just meant to say I am sure I would have disliked him, or at least been almost unbearably frustrated with him.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 03:37:54 PM »

Well, the category is FAVORITE, not most important or valauble. So, with that in mind:

1) Carl.  Best voive I have ever heard. Period. After meeting all of the guys (save Dennis) several times, Carl was consistently friendly, jovial, genuine.     Pure class act.

2). Al. Great singer, underrated in the band's history. Interseting to talk to.

3). Brian. Not much more to say.

4). Mike. can't diminish his lyrical importance to Brian's compositions; undeniable presence in the band which is both vastly important and at the same time nauseating.

5) Bruce. Everything I said about Carl?  Reverse it for Bruce.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »

1) Brian.  Without him, there would have been no Beach Boys.  Had a fantastic voice until he retired from life in the early to mid 70s.

2) Dennis.  In some ways more talented than Big Brother Brian.  His songs reach into your heart, pull it out and let you admire it's beauty.  A shame that some of his best stuff is still unreleased. (WIBN) To Live Again anyone?

3) Carl.  Undeniably the best voice I've ever heard.  A true gentle soul.  Hard to believe he's been gone as long as he has...

4) Al.  Underrated when people discuss the Boys.  Very nice to talk to when I had the chance back in 99.

5) Mike.  While I don't think he's quite the motherfodaer some make him out to be, he has done his share of things to make me dislike him a little.  Still, he gets points for having a distinctive voice, great bass vocals, and some good lyrics.  The voicemail he left for me helps too  Smiley

6) Bruce.  The guy seems to clean-cut and boring to be in one of the greatest bands the world has ever known.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
MBE
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 05:33:17 PM »

I don't think Brian was disliked by the band until the 80s Landy era.

I don't really know, other than what is in the books. I just meant to say I am sure I would have disliked him, or at least been almost unbearably frustrated with him.

I can understand how you feel, but I guess I don't feel that he was really not trying with the band until maybe 71 or 72. Even then I still don't think he detracted from the group until he began to tour again. Then I can see him getting high and messing up the shows to be a major pain. Did they deserve it? Maybe but  he should have simply not gone if he didn't want to.  As the seventies progressed and Dennis and Brian's antics were no longer cute there had to have been genuine sadness mixed in with the anger over how screwed up they had become. I do feel sorry for Mike. Bruce, Carl, and Al when I watch things like the 1980 Good Morning America. Dennis and Brian's behavior is inexcusable.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 06:13:33 PM »

By now, it's no state secret that my fave was, and still is, Carl. That's both on account of his incredible voice, his skill as a performer, and the remarkable human being he was.

For songwriting, it's a tie between Brian and Dennis. For singing, it's the whole enchilada working together -- Al, Brian, Bruce, Dennis, Carl, Dennis, and Mike (names in alphabetical order, not in order of favor) -- that is, I love the Beach Boys!  3D

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx