gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:49:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Who is your favourite Beach Boy
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson
Dennis Wilson
Al Jardine
Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
Other

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite BB?  (Read 54518 times)
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »

I love all the original Beach Boys, and I'd include David as an original, even Bruce as a longtime member.  If you're talking about musical contributions, how could anyone NOT like them all.  They all contributed – in varying degrees – to what was the most distinctive (and best, in my opinion) sound in modern music.

That said, my favorite – now and always – is Carl Wilson.  And it's not even close.  Carl – or more precisely, his absence – is the reason the group we heard and loved during the C50 tour could not quite measure up, vocally, to the band we fell in love with in the early 60s; and the band that kept its longtime fans in total awe for almost four decades.

Best answer I have seen!   I myself just ASSUMED the touring Beach Boys were history when Carl died and was shocked that the group continued because in the post-Brian AWOL era Carl seemed to BE the Beach Boys, even making Kokomo tolerable.   The lineup on TWGMTR and the 50 tour was acceptable to me and having David Marks onboard went a long way to make it legit to me but still a huge part of the soul was missing.   Closest thing to a "real" Beach Boys lineup we have seen in decades though.

Thanks for the compliment, slim.  However, I failed to verbalize a thought I was searching for.  You supplied it:  "A huge part of the soul was missing."  Indeed.  And that's what Carl Wilson's absence meant to me, also.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2014, 09:02:56 PM »

They are all great for different reasons. I refuse to choose.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »

I love all the original Beach Boys, and I'd include David as an original, even Bruce as a longtime member.  If you're talking about musical contributions, how could anyone NOT like them all.  They all contributed – in varying degrees – to what was the most distinctive (and best, in my opinion) sound in modern music.

That said, my favorite – now and always – is Carl Wilson.  And it's not even close.  Carl – or more precisely, his absence – is the reason the group we heard and loved during the C50 tour could not quite measure up, vocally, to the band we fell in love with in the early 60s; and the band that kept its longtime fans in total awe for almost four decades.

Best answer I have seen!   I myself just ASSUMED the touring Beach Boys were history when Carl died and was shocked that the group continued because in the post-Brian AWOL era Carl seemed to BE the Beach Boys, even making Kokomo tolerable.   The lineup on TWGMTR and the 50 tour was acceptable to me and having David Marks onboard went a long way to make it legit to me but still a huge part of the soul was missing.   Closest thing to a "real" Beach Boys lineup we have seen in decades though.
I didn't get to attend any C50 concerts, but I did watch the DVD, and even though I knew that Carl wasn't going to be on it, I still felt his absence. I guess I learned to live with Dennis' absence, attended a lot of BB's show after his passing, and always enjoyed them, but Carl....he made the group what it was for me in the 80's/90's.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2014, 05:35:36 AM »

I wonder which Beach Boy would be our favorite if we had to actually hang out with them?   
I doubt it would be Brian because of his instability.    Which one is reputed to be the most pleasant in person?
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2014, 05:54:42 AM »

I wonder which Beach Boy would be our favorite if we had to actually hang out with them?  
I doubt it would be Brian because of his instability.    Which one is reputed to be the most pleasant in person?

I would've loved to hang out with both Dennis and Carl. Modern-day Brian would make me too nervous, I wouldn't know what to say. But 60's and 70's Brian, sure.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2015, 09:51:58 AM »

Brian is my favorite Beach Boy for many different reasons, with Dennis being my second for many different reasons as well. But if I were to spend a significant amount of time with all members of the Beach Boys something tells me that Al would be the guy I would feel the most comfortable being with.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »

Brian is my favorite Beach Boy for many different reasons, with Dennis being my second for many different reasons as well. But if I were to spend a significant amount of time with all members of the Beach Boys something tells me that Al would be the guy I would feel the most comfortable being with.
Possibly, but Carl is the one that would go out of his way to make you feel comfortable.
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »

Brian

Carl
Dennis
Al
Mike
Bruce
David

with appreciation for everyone who has worked with and supported them

Listen, listen, listen...
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:15 PM »

Brian. I mean...c'mon.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Myra
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2016, 08:25:40 PM »

Brian is my favorite.

Be kind to the people you meet on the way up because you will meet the same people on the way down.

Ralph Kramden.
KDS
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2016, 05:33:37 AM »

Let's see........

1.  Brian Wilson - Well.....genius

2.  Dennis Wilson - His output contributed to the greatest of the 2nd golden era

3.  Al Jardine - Underused member

4.  Carl Wilson - Voice of an angel

5.  Mike Love - The guy is by no means a saint, but I don't think he deserves the hate he gets. 

6.  Bruce Johnston

7.  Blondie Chaplin - Had some nice leads on the Holland album

8.  David Marks

9.  Ricky Fataar - My 9th favorite Beach Boy, but my #1 Rutle

10. John Stamos - From Love and Mercy to Have Mercy. 
KDS
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »

Al is 3rd in your ranking? This is cool. I don't have to name my favorite now, do I? police

& yes, Ricky was great as George, if a little darker horse.

Yeah, I kinda have Al and Carl tied for my number 3.  I think Al's voice in criminally underused in the entire BB catalog. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx