gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:17:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Who is your favourite Beach Boy
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson
Dennis Wilson
Al Jardine
Mike Love
Bruce Johnston
Other

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite BB?  (Read 54516 times)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2012, 01:28:13 AM »

A little late on the topic, but here's my list:

1. Brian

2. Carl
3. Al & Bruce
4. Dennis
5. Mike

But really... I like them all. Brian is on top, but all the others are really in a tie. Ask me the same question tomorrow and my answer would probably not be the same.

Found my 2007 reply to this thread. Now, it'd be slightly different:

1. Brian
2. Mike & Carl (tie)
3. Al & Bruce (tie)
4. Dennis & David

And all the other guys are much closer to Brian in my current ranking than they originally were.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:40:11 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:09 AM »

Carl tried to get Dennis help. Dennis would have never accepted the kind of control that Landy placed over Brian. On his own, he never got through a full rehab stint. Andrew?

I believe the longest he lasted was two, three days. There was a plan in place for Dennis to be treated by Landy... to commence after New Year 1984.

Wow!  I never knew that.  I wonder how that would have worked out? 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »

Although he died before I turned 15, Carl has become my favourite Beach Boy. It is mainly because of his voice, but also the reputation he has and the tireless work he did for the Beach Boys. He kept them classy. It has to be Dennis second for me.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

Amen to that.  The guy continued touring even though he was dying...performing on a stool for most of the show...yet...he would always stand to perform God Only Knows out of respect for the song!  When he died...the band died.  Al was thrown out and whatever outfit toured as "The Beach Boys" was Mike Love and Smilin' Bruce and a (good) backing band...but it wasn't the Boys.

clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2012, 05:08:10 AM »

Brian Wilson circa '65-'70. In my opinion, Brian was at his most brilliant and best during those years. He could write and produce masterpieces and sing masterfully.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2012, 05:26:07 AM »

In terms of musical contribution, Brian, Dennis, Carl, Al, Mike, Blondie, Ricky, Bruce, David. I know David was hugely important to the sound of the early albums, and he's added a lot to the shows I've seen with him, but for me the music from Today through Love You is what makes me a fan.

As people, from the brief interactions I've had with them - Al (absolutely lovely to talk to), David & Mike (both polite and friendly but not especially interested in talking to fans), Brian (spacey and barely acknowledging my existence, but not in a rude way, just obviously very tired), Bruce (*very* friendly and talkative at times, but other times brusque and grumpy, and I've seen him be incredibly rude to other fans, though never to me). Sadly never got to meet Dennis or Carl.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

Carl tried to get Dennis help. Dennis would have never accepted the kind of control that Landy placed over Brian. On his own, he never got through a full rehab stint. Andrew?

I believe the longest he lasted was two, three days. There was a plan in place for Dennis to be treated by Landy... to commence after New Year 1984.

That would not have worked. Dennis would've punched out Landy and his goons on day one and escaped.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »

That would not have worked. Dennis would've punched out Landy and his goons on day one and escaped.

If only he could've lived long enough to have done that!!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »

hahaha denny's goons would've whipped that ass lol
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »

How much truth is there to the story that Denny beat the heck out of Charles Manson after Manson threatened the safety of his stepson?

oldsurferdude
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »

Nice to see this poll netting Myke and Bruth much more than they deserve at 2% with B/W at the top followed by his brothers and Al. Cool
bluesno1fann
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2014, 04:37:53 AM »

1. Dennis Wilson. This would come as no surprise to a lot of people around here LOL. But seriously, almost everything about him is so awesome! He was the second-most talented BB, and sadly the BB with the most tragic story. It's a Genuine Fact that Dennis Ruled! And he did. He really did Smiley.
2. Carl Wilson. Had it been a few months ago, I would have picked Brian as second. But Carl has really grown on me lately. His work is even more underrated than Denny's, he was far and away the BB's best singer, and was also by all accounts the BB with the friendliest personality. He is greatly missed along with Dennis.
3. Brian Wilson. How could he not be in the top 3? He is easily the most talented BB. Had it not been for Brian, the BB's would be nothing. He was the American Lennon/McCartney, and with Pet Sounds and the Smile Sessions, he created some of the greatest music of the 20th Century. He is a man who will always deserve respect!
4. Al Jardine.
5. Blonde Chaplin.
6. Bruce Johnston.
7. David Marks.
8. Ricky Fataar.
9. Mike Love.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2014, 04:52:58 AM »

3. Brian Wilson… He was the American Lennon/McCartney…

I see him more as the American Lennon/McCartney/Martin!  Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
bluesno1fann
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2014, 04:54:32 AM »

3. Brian Wilson… He was the American Lennon/McCartney…

I see him more as the American Lennon/McCartney/Martin!  Smiley

Ooo good one. How could I forget!  LOL Embarrassed
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2014, 05:08:46 AM »

Brian, but I symphatize most with Al. He seems like the one who would be nicest to hang out with.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
bluesno1fann
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2014, 05:15:12 AM »

Brian, but I symphatize most with Al. He seems like the one who would be nicest to hang out with.

Really? I'd give Carl that distinction, but to each his own I guess
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2014, 06:06:55 AM »

I voted Mike. I know he gets a lot of stick off some people, but I've never been let down by his performances, I like his attitude to the music and I think he lead vocals are signature Beach Boys moments. I love his bass-parts, enjoy the songs he wrote or co-wrote, and generally think he's pretty amazing as a front-man.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »

The one with the least votes so far----which is a problem when you can't see the score until after you've voted. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2014, 12:41:07 PM »

Myke Luhv is/was a power hungry SOB and nothing gets in his way-especially Brian Wilson or any other Wilson for that matter.

OSD....Gone, but his words live on! Grin
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »

1. Brian
  2. Dennis & Carl (tie)
  3. Al
  4. Mike
  5. David
  6. Blondie & Ricky (tie)
  7. Bruce

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:00:03 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2014, 09:49:39 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:25:55 PM by zatch » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2014, 10:57:32 PM »

1. Dennis
2. Carl
3. Brian
4. Al
5. Mike
6. Bruce
7. Blondie, Ricky, David (three way tie)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:05:53 PM by retrokid67 » Logged

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2014, 05:11:56 AM »

1. Brian
2. Carl + Dennis (tie)
3. Al + Mike (tie)
4. Bruce
5. Blondie
6. Ricky
7. David

Purely based on musical contributions; if it was on personality, Dave would probably rank higher, since he seems like a pretty cool guy.

This is my list and reasoning exactly!

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »

I love all the original Beach Boys, and I'd include David as an original, even Bruce as a longtime member.  If you're talking about musical contributions, how could anyone NOT like them all.  They all contributed – in varying degrees – to what was the most distinctive (and best, in my opinion) sound in modern music.

That said, my favorite – now and always – is Carl Wilson.  And it's not even close.  Carl – or more precisely, his absence – is the reason the group we heard and loved during the C50 tour could not quite measure up, vocally, to the band we fell in love with in the early 60s; and the band that kept its longtime fans in total awe for almost four decades.
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2014, 01:41:24 PM »

I love all the original Beach Boys, and I'd include David as an original, even Bruce as a longtime member.  If you're talking about musical contributions, how could anyone NOT like them all.  They all contributed – in varying degrees – to what was the most distinctive (and best, in my opinion) sound in modern music.

That said, my favorite – now and always – is Carl Wilson.  And it's not even close.  Carl – or more precisely, his absence – is the reason the group we heard and loved during the C50 tour could not quite measure up, vocally, to the band we fell in love with in the early 60s; and the band that kept its longtime fans in total awe for almost four decades.

Best answer I have seen!   I myself just ASSUMED the touring Beach Boys were history when Carl died and was shocked that the group continued because in the post-Brian AWOL era Carl seemed to BE the Beach Boys, even making Kokomo tolerable.   The lineup on TWGMTR and the 50 tour was acceptable to me and having David Marks onboard went a long way to make it legit to me but still a huge part of the soul was missing.   Closest thing to a "real" Beach Boys lineup we have seen in decades though.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx