gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:56:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ballads/Slow Songs: BB vs. Beatles  (Read 2773 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2007, 06:25:40 PM »

Who's what better?

We've got a ton from Brian earlier on:
-Surfer Girl
-Lonely Sea
-Keep an Eye on Summer
-Don't Worry Baby/Warmth of the Sun (two of the best)
-kiss me baby/please let me wonder (amazing)

Beatles' early slow songs (to me) there arent as many:
-This Boy
-And I love Her
-If I fell
-I'll Follow the Sun
-Hide Your love away
-yesterday (competes with Surfer Girl or DWB)
-Here there and Everywhere
-Michelle
-For No One

But dang...I think BB really beat them with pet sounds....overall

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 06:41:42 PM »

Both bands had some great ballads--and not just the early ones. Especially McCartney and Harrison provided some gorgeous melodies and arrangements. But to me, Brian Wilson is the master of the pop ballad, and of course Dennis had his share in the 70s, as well. So I give the Beach Boys the edge.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:53:47 PM »

I am a bigger Beach Boys fan but the Beatles WERE great. I hate how people go way over the top for them because the Beach Boys and others did have more to offer, yet so few people have matched what the Beatles did that I have to say that while I give Brian and co. the edge, both are hard to beat.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 02:04:08 AM »

Two of my personal favorites are 'There's No Other (Like My Baby)' and 'We'll Run Away', so them plus the songs in the orginal post are enough to choose the beach boys for me. But the beatles are masters to.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 02:09:23 AM »

"Michelle" and "For No One" are probably the ones that compete the most for me.  They both have sort of a baroque "art song" quality to them that's very different than the typical ballad.

As for top BB ballads, any list is missing without "Your Summer Dream".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:30:52 AM »

As for top BB ballads, any list is missing without "Your Summer Dream".

Exactly what I was thinking, I absolutely LOVE that song, I think it can be overlooked by a lot of fans, but definately one of the prettiest songs Brian ever wrote. But yeh I would also say The Beach Boys are better at Ballads, Brian was a master of them back in the day, I think they just have a certain emotional quality that very few can compete with.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »

Brian really was the master of pop ballads at the time. I agree with "Your Summer Dream"; it's often overlooked, even by real fans, but I love it.

That said, the Beatles were great at making ballads too. I'd like to add "In My Life" to your list though!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 11:12:24 AM »

I suppose we could list all of each band's ballads, line 'em up, and debate the merits of each. And that's sometimes fun to do.

But when I try to decide/vote on the merits of The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles (which I occasionally do), in the areas of songs, albums, musicianship, vocals, etc. - The Beach Boys usually lose in almost every category, but ultimately win out as my favorite group - because of one thing.

It's because of that "thing" that Brian has/had that he put into his songs. It's that magical quality that touches you. It touches you like no other artist or song does. And it's especially present in The Beach Boys ballads. So my vote goes to The Beach Boys.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »

I suppose we could list all of each band's ballads, line 'em up, and debate the merits of each. And that's sometimes fun to do.

But when I try to decide/vote on the merits of The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles (which I occasionally do), in the areas of songs, albums, musicianship, vocals, etc. - The Beach Boys usually lose in almost every category, but ultimately win out as my favorite group - because of one thing.

It's because of that "thing" that Brian has/had that he put into his songs. It's that magical quality that touches you. It touches you like no other artist or song does. And it's especially present in The Beach Boys ballads. So my vote goes to The Beach Boys.

Hey spot on! Thats what Ive always thought. I disagree to a degree, because I think The Beach Boys win in some categories (for me anyway) but yeh I totally agree with Brian's songs touching you in that special way, that you just can't explain, thats what I was talking about when I said that they have that "emotional quality that very few can compete with". It must be the voices, but I also have always believed Brian's songs (not ALL of them) but songs like 'Til I Die, In My Room, Pet Sounds etc.. just seem that extra bit 'real' (if you get what I mean) compared the Beatles, not saying that The Beatles dont have that in some of their songs too, just that Brian has it in his songs more often. I also think Dennis had that 'real' quality in his songs too.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »

Good post, mikeyj! Hey, there's about a foot of snow outside that I don't want to shovel, and if punkinhead doesn't mind, I'd like to go slightly off-topic. Just slightly.

Thought I'd explore that Beach Boys vs. Beatles comparison a little more. Do a lot of you compare the two groups? It is so subjective of people's opinions. This is mine:

SONGS: If I go Top 10, The Beach Boys win. If I go 25-28 songs, or about the amount to fill one "greatest hits" CD, The Beach Boys win. If I do a double CD, the perfect amount to give a prospective fan, 35-37 songs, The Beach Boys barely win. But once I get to about the Top 50, The Beatles come on strong, or, should I say, The Beach Boys start to thin out a little bit. If I fill 3 CD's, well...

ALBUMS: From 1962-1966, it's very close. But in my opinion, the big four of All Summer Long/Today/Summer Days & Summer Nights/Pet Sounds barely edges A Hard Day's Night/Help/Rubber Soul/Revolver. Just barely. I know that's very, very subjective; it's just my opinion. However, after 1967, I think that The Beatles run the table. I think the series from Sgt. Pepper's to Let It Be outshines the Beach Boys series of Smiley Smile to Holland.

MUSICIANSHIP: I think Paul was a better bassist and piano player than Brian. Ringo was a better drummer than Dennis. John was a better guitarist than Al. And George and Carl are about even as lead guitarists.

VOCALS: The Beach Boys win this one, but it's not that overwhelming. John and Paul were so damn great, but we're talking about Brian and Carl Wilson, and, yes, Mike Love. Mike was one of the greatest lead singers in rock & roll. You can add George and Ringo, but the Beach Boys can counter with Al. And then, of course, there's the harmonies. Advantage Beach Boys.

I know it's debatable, because there are so many fans of The Beach Boys 1967-73 period. But I don't know if that feeling is universal. The Beatles, on the other hand, released Sgt. Pepper's, The White Album, and Abbey Road. So you'd think I would prefer The Beatles over The Beach Boys. Nope. As I mentioned in my above post, the "something" that Brian Wilson added to his music trumps a lot of the other factors. It's an intangible, but you can feel it. And that's why I prefer The Beach Boys. What do you guys think?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »

that was a great post...i enjoy your thinning out comment, totally agreed

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 07:32:27 PM »

Good post, mikeyj! Hey, there's about a foot of snow outside that I don't want to shovel, and if punkinhead doesn't mind, I'd like to go slightly off-topic. Just slightly.

Thought I'd explore that Beach Boys vs. Beatles comparison a little more. Do a lot of you compare the two groups? It is so subjective of people's opinions. This is mine:

SONGS: If I go Top 10, The Beach Boys win. If I go 25-28 songs, or about the amount to fill one "greatest hits" CD, The Beach Boys win. If I do a double CD, the perfect amount to give a prospective fan, 35-37 songs, The Beach Boys barely win. But once I get to about the Top 50, The Beatles come on strong, or, should I say, The Beach Boys start to thin out a little bit. If I fill 3 CD's, well...

ALBUMS: From 1962-1966, it's very close. But in my opinion, the big four of All Summer Long/Today/Summer Days & Summer Nights/Pet Sounds barely edges A Hard Day's Night/Help/Rubber Soul/Revolver. Just barely. I know that's very, very subjective; it's just my opinion. However, after 1967, I think that The Beatles run the table. I think the series from Sgt. Pepper's to Let It Be outshines the Beach Boys series of Smiley Smile to Holland.

MUSICIANSHIP: I think Paul was a better bassist and piano player than Brian. Ringo was a better drummer than Dennis. John was a better guitarist than Al. And George and Carl are about even as lead guitarists.

VOCALS: The Beach Boys win this one, but it's not that overwhelming. John and Paul were so damn great, but we're talking about Brian and Carl Wilson, and, yes, Mike Love. Mike was one of the greatest lead singers in rock & roll. You can add George and Ringo, but the Beach Boys can counter with Al. And then, of course, there's the harmonies. Advantage Beach Boys.

I know it's debatable, because there are so many fans of The Beach Boys 1967-73 period. But I don't know if that feeling is universal. The Beatles, on the other hand, released Sgt. Pepper's, The White Album, and Abbey Road. So you'd think I would prefer The Beatles over The Beach Boys. Nope. As I mentioned in my above post, the "something" that Brian Wilson added to his music trumps a lot of the other factors. It's an intangible, but you can feel it. And that's why I prefer The Beach Boys. What do you guys think?

I think a lot of people compare the groups, and most of my friends dont mind The Beatles but arent really big fans of The Beach Boys. One of the reasons why I think, is because even though The Beach Boys do have some pretty catchy/accessible songs i think the beatles easily have the edge in catchy/accessible songs. I think why a lot of people 'CANT' get into the beach boys is the same reason why i didnt get into them for a fair while (i could be wrong but this is just my take on it). I just think a lot of the beach boys songs you really have to sit down and actively listen (sometimes many many times) so that you can 'allow' (cant think of how else to put it) Brians music to speak to/touch you. Thats my take on things anyway. I have to disagree with you vocally (while the beatles are great vocally, the Beach Boys are the BEST of all time, whereas the Beatles wouldnt even be in the top 20 vocal groups of all time.

I pretty much agree with all that you said about how good both bands are instrumentally, but I think the key difference to it all is songwriting and I think Brian takes that because of that feeling that weve been discussing that he puts in his songs (the ability to touch you with his songs), THAT is the true genius of Brian (putting that feeling in his songs) I also think one of Brians best musical gifts (of his many) is that he knows what to put in a song that helps to create that 'feeling' (eg: he knows who should sing lead vocal, he knows what instruments to put in etc..) thats why I prefer The Beach Boys
MBE
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 05:03:14 AM »

Hope you don't mind if I give I comment on a few things.

First this is totally subjective and not meant as a put down of you at all. Funny I think the Beatles later years are uneven in a way they never were early on. I admit some of their early stuff is basic. So are the Beach Boys. To me that's the charm. I think the Beach Boys were far more even from 67-70 because they weren't out to change rock and roll, they were out to make good music. Once the Beatles became self consious, started TRYING to be innovative they loose me on their artsy attitude alone. Hey I love many of the Beatles later songs, but as albums Pepper and Abbey Road try too hard to impress. The Beach Boys never did the one thing that to me set the Beatles in decline. The Beach Boys never stopped being funny. Even on Holland, Surf's Up, Pet Sounds there are moments of humor. The Beatles got very serious at times, didn't total loose their charm, but came close sometimes. The Beatles from 62-66 kept each other in check. When I'm 64 stayed unreleased until Pepper for a reason, Yoko would have been laughed out of the room by Lennon himself. Can you picture how much  the 1963 Beatles would have taken the piss out of thier 1968 selves?  If the Beatles had only continued to work together and edit each other they could have taken their music well into the next decade.

MUSICIANSHIP: That is really tough. From a formal stand point sure Dennis or Brian don't match Paul or Ringo, but from a entertainment standpoint they easily match. Ringo has his charm but Dennis is so much more in so many ways. From a image standpoint alone. Ringo is one of a kind but Dennis defined cool. Brian never was the poster boy or confident performer McCartney was, but he too has an edge to him that Paul doesn't. John and George were certainly no better then Al or Carl musically. Besides the Beatles didn't even try to play good live once they made it, and watching vintage clips of the same era of other group proove their excuses don't hold up.  Every Beach Boy was consistent in all ways until around 76 or so. 

The Beatles were good singers, but not nearly a match when it comes to harmony. Listen to You Won't See Me, Dennis never flatted as much as Lennon on this one. I agree with you here on the whole

[/quote]

I think you wrote some very thought provoking things. I may not agree 100 percent but you got me thinking which is always good.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 01:26:47 PM »

All I have to say is this -- if the only song the Beach Boys ever recorded was "Your Summer Dream," they would still be the greatest act in the history of music.  Ditto for "Let Him Run Wild," "Surf's Up," "My Diane," and at least 25 other tracks.  If I were going to be stranded on a desert island and I had a choice between MIU album and everything the Beatles, together or solo, recorded in their lives, I'd take MIU in a heartbeat.

And, I should add that MIU is only about my 14th favorite BB album.

And, yes, I do like the Beatles quite a bit.  But they -- like every other musical act -- don't even belong in the same ballpark as the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 01:52:55 PM by busy doin nothin » Logged

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx