gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:37:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD press, interviews, etc.  (Read 28731 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »

They were the opening act, not a co-headliner on that tour, so they didn't have much say in the matter.

Not precisely true. IIRC, it was a co-billed tour, and their pictures were the same size on promo materials. Brian did play first, and his set was a bit shorter, but it was definitely meant to be perceived as a dual act.

However, your general point is well stated. I don't see how you tour two acts together without tension when one of those acts is BW.

Edit: Given that the only poster Image I could find online is this, it looks like you're right after all.

Brian was added well after the original PS tour announcement. This story says he was invited as support.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/79961/paul-simon-taps-brian-wilson-for-summer-tour
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2014, 09:04:37 PM »

I think the problem is that perhaps Brian can hit it off with these guys, at least initially, and be social enough in the first meeting or two that it reassures them it will be a good thing. Brian worked with Jeff Beck at some kind of rock fantasy camp in Las Vegas, which led to the initial pairing.  It's later on that he withdraws socially. Maybe Brian's folks should discuss Brian's issues in advance so people working with him will know how he is and then they can make the choice to work with him in spite of his silences, or they can choose not to.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »

When did this become a Wilson/Beck album?  I mean, it seems to be the assumption around here, but my understanding is that Brian worked with Beck at the Rock Camp and was impressed with him, invited him to contribute some guitar work on his Solo album, and the idea for a joint tour was formed from that.

It can't crash and burn if it never existed in the first place.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »

Yeah...he was just appearing on a few tracks.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2014, 10:34:52 PM »

Given that Paul was/is a bigger star than Brian in terms of touring and sizes of venues, and that Paul invited Brian as a favor to help him build his newish (at the time) solo career, complaints they had about Paul seem kind of peevish. They were the opening act, not a co-headliner on that tour...

According to several posts on the Bloo at the time, Brian was NOT the opening act on this tour. Guess who made those posts.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »

What was Brian's "people's" complaints during the Paul Simon tour? Very curious as that was my first show.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2014, 05:05:04 AM »

This is interesting.  I see two issues. 

First, Jeff is talking about "tour bosses" and the "entity" is un-named.  Brian and Beck were "hired" to do a job.  When illness or injury happen, and it does, as we have recently seen Miley Cyrus cancel some shows.  And, Beck is no stranger to the  "rough and tumble" of the entertainment business. 

Beck knew or should have known about "meet and greets" in the schedule, and they are usually immediately prior to the show. When someone is sick, and they have just enough energy or stamina to make it through a certain amount of time, that should be accommodated. Period. Health comes first.  Especially if it sounds acute, as this event does.  Beck said "tour bosses." I read that to mean whomever hired him/them.  The tour looks like a joint tour of diverse performances.  And I did see one of the shows.  It was different but they worked well with the others' material. Beck did a spectacular job on Surfs Up, in my opinion.

Second, they don't have to emerge as "best buddies."  They were hired to "do a job" in the same space and at the same performance time slot.  If the goal was to bring fans of both performers together, they did achieve that goal. I found Jeff's "bling-y" diamond cuff, fascinating.

Entertainers get sick.  They are human.  If a show can be cancelled for "pet bereavement" for Miley, then another performer whose condition warrants a hospital visit for an invasive procedure, merits the same consideration, for a rest period.  Beck did play "all out" when I saw him.  But for Brian being on the menu, I'd likely never would have seen Beck otherwise, and it was vice versa for Beck fans whom I met and chatted with before and after the show, and I found them to be two distinct factions. JMHO
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2014, 09:30:17 PM »

I think it's safe to say the Brian-Beck tour, for all its good bits (Al, Dave, Blondie), was a seat-of-the-pants operation in which Brian was less-than-thrilled for the early shows. Decisions were made on the tour (breaking out the whole Pet Sounds album, for instance) that I heard were rather befuddling for the band members. It still had many satisfying moments, but it ended up somewhat confused and confusing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:56:37 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »

Given that Paul was/is a bigger star than Brian in terms of touring and sizes of venues, and that Paul invited Brian as a favor to help him build his newish (at the time) solo career, complaints they had about Paul seem kind of peevish. They were the opening act, not a co-headliner on that tour...

According to several posts on the Bloo at the time, Brian was NOT the opening act on this tour. Guess who made those posts.  Roll Eyes

I will say that I saw one of the shows in person, and it felt far more like a double bill than an opening and main act.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »

I will say that I saw one of the shows in person, and it felt far more like a double bill than an opening and main act.

For what it's worth, the same sort of arrangement occured with Paul Simon toured with Bob Dylan two years before (Dylan going on first and playing a shorter set, Simon's picture noticeably bigger than Dylan's in the ads, for instance). Bob Dylan!
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »

They were the opening act, not a co-headliner on that tour, so they didn't have much say in the matter.

Not precisely true. IIRC, it was a co-billed tour, and their pictures were the same size on promo materials. Brian did play first, and his set was a bit shorter, but it was definitely meant to be perceived as a dual act.

However, your general point is well stated. I don't see how you tour two acts together without tension when one of those acts is BW.

Edit: Given that the only poster Image I could find online is this, it looks like you're right after all.

But Brian was, the night I saw the show at the Greek, much more than the usual "opening act".  As I recall, he played for about an hour, maybe longer. Maybe a mini-co-headliner. Smiley

That night, McCartney walked into the arena as Brian was singing "God Only Knows", and, in recognition of the man, the lyric clearly became "God only knows what I'd be without Paul".  It got a big cheer. I thought it was too bad Sir Paul joined Simon on stage but not Brian. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:19 AM »

Double billing sounds very accurate, Wirestone.  And, not one overshadowing the other.  In other words neither one was the "host" or "guest" of the other. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx