gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:50:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The MIU/L.A. era  (Read 4368 times)
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2007, 07:29:04 AM »

Hey guys

I go through many phases (though I like them all) of Beach Boys related eras. Right now, I am fascinated by the years 77 - 80. Contrary to popular opinion, I like MIU and L.A. There is plenty of good music on that 2-fer. It is quite an enjoyable disc.   One of the things that fascinates me is Brian's voice on MIU. Even though I am a Love You fan, the warm production on MIU is quite refreshing after the homemade quality and roughness of Love You (yes, i know that is its "charm."  Cheesy) I could not believe after checking the liner notes that Wontcha Come Out Tonight was Brian singing. That coupled with Matchpoint. I can almost picture Mike Love saying "Christ Brian, cut that grufness out of your voice and SING will ya! " because what a change we have here on this album. I adore Matchpoint (forget the lyrics) for the melody and Brian's voice here. Also, the great production.  Overall, I think MIU is a warm friendly album. Nice to relax to.

My second point is that I have not heard alot of unreleased material from this era. Is it worth seeking out? (not that I can easily find it.) Because I tell you this. I recently heard the demo of My Diane (one of my favorites) and I was knocked out. It was one of the best Beach Boys related things I have heard in years.  Dennis' voice is so much smoother and dare I say, more passionate (if that is possible) than the released version. I never knew such a demo existed until I happened upon it. I was totally surprised. That is one of the best things about being a Beach Boys fan: the amount of material I keep hearing. And I know there is much much more I have not heard and hopefully will hear one day.

So, my ultimate question is this: are there demos/unreleased versions from MIU?  Has anyone heard anything and at least care to comment? I cannot imagine a Matchpoint demo or an alternative take. Or even maybe a different Pitter Patter?  Cheesy Maybe a Full Sail writing session or demo? See this is what fascinates me totally because I believe this era seems to be passed over. Yeah, I know there is crap there but there is also alot to appreciate and seek out. (still haven't heard the Oh! Darling demo/alternative...does such a thing really exist?

Thanks
Mark

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 08:19:16 AM »

I enjoy MIU too, the problem is with regards to outtakes is that this whole late 70s era is full of them, with recording sessions spilling over from one album to another. Also add to that the fact that there are a few unreleased albums from this era - Adult child, New Album/California feeling and of course a Christmas album which MIU was originally going to be.
To hear alternate versions of the MIU tracks check out 'Ultimate Christmas' from 1998, i'd say that the MIU versions are better anyway but it does include a couple of songs not on MIU which are great - Winter Symphony and Morning Christmas.
On the Good Vibrations box set there is an outtake entitiled 'Our team', and many of the tracks have appeared as rough or earlier versions on bootlegs over the years - Come go with me, Hey little Tomboy and as you said 'My Diane'.
There is a version of Oh Darling with Brian on vocals which I have heard and can say it is better than the released track, but that can't be hard as I think the released version is awful!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 09:08:12 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I am aware of Our Team (I have the boxset) and the Xmas stuff. I never understood the dislike for Oh! Darling. Maybe I am just nuts!  Undecided On another note, I would love to ask some of the Brian Wilson Band what they dislike. "Hey Darian, what Beach Boys song (s) do you think are shite?" Imagine his reply...anyone know? I doubt he loves it ALL. I understand Foskett hates Love You.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I am aware of Our Team (I have the boxset) and the Xmas stuff. I never understood the dislike for Oh! Darling. Maybe I am just nuts!  Undecided On another note, I would love to ask some of the Brian Wilson Band what they dislike. "Hey Darian, what Beach Boys song (s) do you think are merdae?" Imagine his reply...anyone know? I doubt he loves it ALL. I understand Foskett hates Love You.

I agree about 'Oh Darling'. I've always loved that song!
Too bad Foskett hates Love You; I'd really like to actually hear some of those songs live.
It seems like a lot of Brian's band members only really dig the all-important Today! ballads, Pet Sounds, and SMiLE, for the most part. I doubt many of 'em care two shits about, say, 'A Day In The Life of a Tree' or 'Marcella'. Or any of the other Beach Boys' great, underrated songs, for that matter. I get the feeling they like to ignore the fact that Mike had his really great musical moments sometimes. I could be wrong. I guess I'm in an odd mood (some of the BBs-blaming comments in Beautiful Dreamer will do that to ya).

I'm not going to talk about M.I.U. because I'd rather not vomit all over myself at this time.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »

Someone should strap Foskett to a chair and play LOVE YOU repeatedly until he learns to like it. police
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »

Summer Days you could be right in your analysis.  I think Darian and Probyn are the biggest fans. There is a video on youtube of a fanmeeting where Probyn and some other guy (I think Scott joins in later) are jamming on acoustic guitars. They play (among others) My Diane and Hey Little Tomboy! It is clearly evident that Probyn knows the songs and is enjoying it immensely.  Nelson wanders in the shot and looks bemused and perplexed as to what the hell they are exactly playing.  I do not think that Taylor, Hines or Lizik are as familiar with the catalog either. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just saying that's all...

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »

Quote from: noname
Someone should strap Foskett to a chair and play LOVE YOU repeatedly until he learns to like it.

Woah -- talk about cruel and unusual punishment!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:43 PM »

It's strange how I used to actually despise the M.I.U. Album while now I think it's a pretty decent recording (and certainly miles ahead of Keepin' The Summer Alive, which I still find to be a rather annoying listening experience despite its occasional high points).

I actually prefer some of the christmas versions over the released material though, as in hindsight it's just so very fitting that these songs were intended to be christmas tunes, as there is a kind of forced light-heartedness to them, which seems more enjoyable to me when associated with the original lyrical content.

By the way, I occasionally find myself singing along with Hey Little Tomboy... just wanted to let you know. Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »

MIU and L.A.

Are there any more diverse back to back albums than those two? Maybe Holland and 15 Big Ones?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »

MIU and L.A.

Are there any more diverse back to back albums than those two? Maybe Holland and 15 Big Ones?

Yeah, in addition to Holland and 15BO, I'd say Pet Sounds to Smiley Smile were a pretty diverse duo.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »

MIU and L.A.

I'd say KTSA and BB85 are pretty different.  But Holland/15BO is definitely the most drastic change.  To go from "The Beaks Of Eagles" to "That Same Song" is pretty jarring.

FWIW, LA is my 2nd favorite BB album of all time, right behind Friends, and just ahead of In Concert (1973).
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 06:09:41 PM »

I've actually asked Darian if they'd ever done anything from LOVE YOU (I believe he said they had done one song) and I didn't get the vibe that he disliked the album or that there was any particular reason other than there being only a limited amount of room for the rarities...

Darian actually did a 7" of "I Wanna Pick You Up" (given the SUMMER DAYS treatment) back before he played with Brian.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »

I've actually asked Darian if they'd ever done anything from LOVE YOU (I believe he said they had done one song)

They did "The Night Was So Young."

I'd personally love to hear "Honkin'..." and "I'll Bet He's Nice." And "Mona," for that matter.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 12:24:52 AM »

They should all get a big pile of vintage synths to play Love You, they could have one each and be like a giant Depeche Mode.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
MBE
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 12:27:33 AM »

I guess I am one of the few who really dislikes 75 percent of Love You. I do like Adult Child though.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 12:42:03 AM »

I guess I am one of the few who really dislikes 75 percent of Love You. I do like Adult Child though.

Different strokes, I guess. Meanwhile, so many praise 'Hey Little Tomboy' when I personally feel it's one of the very worst BBs songs ever. Pure 100% nuclear waste.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
MBE
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 01:09:31 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy is one that I like only because it is so perverted. The version with Brian and Mike talking is even worse!
Leo K
Smiley Smile Associate

I Have Lost Touch With The World

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 11:12:05 AM »

For some reason I find myself going to the late 70's recordings again and again...

While out walking the other day I put on Adult Child and was totally caught up in the 'story' those songs seem to imply (although I usually skip Hey Little Tomboy)...

A man struggling to live in the middle age of his years, gaining some wieght...lonely after a hard break-up...trying to enjoy life again...to find a 'new world' through movies and baseball and etc. Theres even a call for spiritual release in It's Over Now and Still I Dream of It, with references to heaven, angels and Jesus. There is a feeling through this song cycle of being trapped in this conditional world and trying to accept the world, yet there is a 'crying out' for a happiness that will be eternal. What an interesting contrast to Dennis's POB...fascinating and yet I can relate to this music emotionally. I totally love this album.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 02:02:51 PM »

You can count me as one of the few as well.

But I think Adult Child is even worse!

Glenn
Wilsonista
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »

I've actually asked Darian if they'd ever done anything from LOVE YOU (I believe he said they had done one song) and I didn't get the vibe that he disliked the album or that there was any particular reason other than there being only a limited amount of room for the rarities...

Darian actually did a 7" of "I Wanna Pick You Up" (given the SUMMER DAYS treatment) back before he played with Brian.

Darian and Probyn, in particular are HUGE Love You fans.  I think a BW band run through of the album was discussed at one point.
MBE
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 09:44:41 PM »

For some reason I find myself going to the late 70's recordings again and again...

While out walking the other day I put on Adult Child and was totally caught up in the 'story' those songs seem to imply (although I usually skip Hey Little Tomboy)...

A man struggling to live in the middle age of his years, gaining some wieght...lonely after a hard break-up...trying to enjoy life again...to find a 'new world' through movies and baseball and etc. Theres even a call for spiritual release in It's Over Now and Still I Dream of It, with references to heaven, angels and Jesus. There is a feeling through this song cycle of being trapped in this conditional world and trying to accept the world, yet there is a 'crying out' for a happiness that will be eternal. What an interesting contrast to Dennis's POB...fascinating and yet I can relate to this music emotionally. I totally love this album.

That is the best thing I ever read about the album. I will say that the older songs don't quite fit but the new songs do tell a story. Glem I respect how you feel about Adult Child, the reason I like it better are the improved vocals and much better production. Some songs like Lines aren't anything special but I love the Dick Reynolds cuts and (naturally) the Sunflower era stuff. I'm Trying To Say is decent too at least in relation to I Wanna Pick You Up. On Broadway doesn't quite fit, but again I can't think of any post Holland Beach Boys product from Brian that I like better.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 10:58:27 PM »

Love You, Adult/Child, MIU,  LA and Dennis's two solos are all class.  15 Big Ones, New Album and KTSA are hit and miss.  Still, taken as a whole, this has to be one of the most interesting periods of Beach Boys music.  Brian was back (on some albums more than others) and Dennis was at a career peak.  I think my favorite Beach Boys compilation is Ten Years of Harmony because it contains so many good songs from this era.

I love nearly all the songs from this era that many people seem to hate: "Tomboy", "Winds of Change", "Pitter Patter", "Full Sail", "Match Point", "On Broadway", "That Same Song" (esp. the version with the gospel chorus)... All awesome songs IMO.

To the first poster, the booted version of "My Diane" is an early mix from '77, not a demo per se.  Dennis later overdubbed his vocal and the track was sweetened for release on MIU.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
MBE
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 04:35:01 AM »

Match Point and That Same Song is good. New Album is a loose collection never really anything more then possible choices for release. Same as Landlocked. I like New Album myself because of Brian's Ruby Baby and Lost That Loving Feeling covers.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 07:40:03 AM »

Nice comments about Adult Child. I always loved it from the moment I heard it.  It's Trying To Say is so optimistic. Nice "do be do be do's" going on too!  How can you also not love "the cigarette butt" line?  Cool totally cool.

Jason I realize the version of My Diane I found is not  a "demo." My fault. Sometimes I say "demo, unreleased, alternative mix" in the same breath! oops!

On the Surfermoon.com website, under bootlegs, there is a one called California Feeling. It lists basically ALL of the MIU tracks with the addition of California Feeling (Spring) and How's about a little bit of your Sweet Lovin. I have not heard anything at all from this. So I am dying to know: are all these MIU tracks on this boot different mixes/alternative takes? If so, I would give my left nut to hear it!

MBE
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »

That's an LP called Califonia Feeling. First word is mispelled. California Feeling was a comp LPboot which was much more interesting and had the earlier LP's two outtakes. The mixes are pretty close but Winds Of Change and a couple others are different. Nothing major different but it's pleasent if you can find it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx