gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681026 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 08:04:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classic albums: 1982 - 2002  (Read 13378 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:47:34 PM »

In determining lists of classic albums, most people use the same material: Pet Sounds, the Beatles' albums from Rubber Soul through Abbey Road, etc. Obviously, the newest music is more difficult to objectively consider because it hasn't had time to set in. But while albums through the 70s are pretty much established in their relative position in the canon, what about those that came after? Let's think about albums released from 25 to 5 years ago that you think either are worthy of inclusion in the canon or will be.

NOTE: PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE don't use this as a thread to say "all new music sucks" or similar sentiments. There are about 500 other threads on this board where people have offered that sentiment.

NOTE TWO: If your choice isn't well known, provide a little summary. It might compel people to seek out some worthy new(ish) music and support artists.

NOTE THREE: Let's remember--this is for albums you think are destined to be (or already are) CLASSIC albums. Really good. Among the top, say, 100-150 of all time, which is elite company. Don't just throw in every album you like.

NOTE FOUR: (j/k, I have no more notes!)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:53:10 PM »

lindsey buckingham- out of the cradle

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 01:04:50 PM »

Talk Talk: Spirit of Eden

Fennesz: Endless Summer
(http://www.mego.at/mego035.html)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 02:52:23 PM »

I have put a little--but probably nowhere near enough--thought into this, and below are some albums released between 1982 and 2002 that I think legitimately have a place being considered in the "canon" of pop albums. In other words, I would rank them among the top 150 or so albums of all time.

They are organized into the rough blocks of albums in which I think they rightly fall--that is, top 10, 11-25, 26-100, and 101-150.

DISCLAIMER: I didn't go through and make my Top 150, so these could easily be off EVEN IN MY OPINION by a pretty large number. If you've ever sat down and tried to rank albums (as I have), you know you can easily forget and remember things, shuffling them not just a few spots, but tens of spots easily. And I'm sure I've forgotten something great.

Top 10:
In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, by Neutral Milk Hotel (1998)
I think this is one of the most powerful albums of all time, the evocative (but not literal...sound familiar, Mike Love?) lyrics and vocal intensity  astound me even now. And Robert Schneider did a great job producing, taking what was previously a fuzz-folk, ramshackle group and tastefully adding horn arrangements, organs, etc., raising the bar without abandoning the loose feel. I love this album.

11-25:
Thriller, by Michael Jackson (1982)
Okay, I know this one will draw criticism, but most of it will be due to Jackson's personal life. And let's face it, there are some pretty bizarre occurrences in the lives of the Beach Boys, you know... Thriller was a great album full of hits, and Michael Jackson's voice was unbelievably agile at the time. He and Quincy Jones did a great job.

Purple Rain, by Prince (1984)
Speaking of hits...an entire album of them. Arguably the most talented single man in popular music of his generation: voice, guitar, keyboards, drums, bass, songwriting (not to mention the things you can't get on record, like charisma). Had a lot of great albums, but this is probably the best because it's the least uneven.

The Great Eastern, by the Delgados (2000)
Probably the least known of the albums I will list, but this Scottish band was on par with the more famous Belle & Sebastian until they relatively recently broke up, in my opinion. And this was their pinnacle--excellent, epic tunes with even more epic production by Dave Fridmann.

Bone Machine, by Tom Waits (1992)
A guy who had a lot of great albums in that time frame, this one is the first to have "that" sound--this bizarre, distant, hollow, eerie devil-blues-trashcan thing.

Kontiki, by Cotton Mather (1996)
I LOVE this album from the defunct Austin, TX band. The influences of the Beatles, Squeeze and Bob Dylan are really obvious, but the songs aren't just rip-offs: they're VERY good. It is one of the only albums where I've thought "actually, that COULD'VE been on Revolver, if Revolver were to be released today." Very, very good album. Great, in fact. If this list helps anyone discover anything, I hope it is this, my sentimental favorite.

26-100:

Nebraska, by Bruce Springsteen (1982)
1999, by Prince (1982)
Electro-Shock Blues, by Eels (1998)
Paul's Boutique, by Beastie Boys (1989)
Love & Theft, by Bob Dylan (2001)
swordfishtrombones, by Tom Waits (1983)
Rain Dogs, by Tom Waits (1985)
Alice, by Tom Waits (2002)
The Soft Bulletin, by the Flaming Lips (1998)
Kid A, by Radiohead (2000)
OK Computer, by Radiohead (1998)
Graceland, by Paul Simon (1986)
Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Mutations, by Beck (1998)
Appetite For Destruction, by Guns n Roses (1987)

101-150:

Sea Change, by Beck (2002)
Ecstasy, by Lou Reed (2000)
69 Love Songs, by Magnetic Fields (1999)
The Gay Parade, by Of Montreal (1999)
The Joshua Tree, by U2 (1987)
New York, by Lou Reed (1989)
Daisies of the Galaxy, by Eels (2000)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:12:38 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

aNonbeliever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »

I'm thrilled to see some Tom Waits mentioned here.

I'd add Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and Eels' "Electro-Shock Blues" to that list.

EDIT: Whoops, I see these are already listed. This is a second, then! Great minds think alike Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:09:29 PM by aNonbeliever » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 03:09:26 PM »

Never mind: you edited at the same time I responded. (was going to note ESB and YHF)

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 03:28:34 PM »

Thriller is indeed a great album, hands down, and it's aged very well considering how many pop records of the eighties just sound so dated these days.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 04:36:56 PM »

I'll have to add Michael Jackson's BAD album to the list. I think it's just as good as Thriller, a lot of good songs. The track "Streetwalker" that's on the special edition of the BAD album is superb I think, especially the backing track and MJ's vocal on that is great. "Conspiracy Of One" by the Offspring is also a solid album, IMO.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »

I'll have to add Michael Jackson's BAD album to the list. I think it's just as good as Thriller, a lot of good songs.

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that. I'd probably put it either in the 26-100 or 101-150 range, as it probably falls somewhere in the low double or early triple digits.

Maybe I will get ambitious one of these days and sit down to compile a new Top 150. It's the sort of thing I do every once in a while because I am a fucking geek.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »

NEW ORDER          POWER CORRUPTION AND LIES
NEW ORDER          LOW LIFE
JOY DIVISION        SUBSTANCE
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 11:43:53 PM »

I really dig The White Stripes.  Can't decide between White Blood Cells or Elephant.  I think both are "great" albums in the classic sense.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »

If compilations are accepted (and since we're talking post-1981), I'll agree with the inclusion of Joy Division's "Substance". Otherwise, I'd have to go with JD's "Closer" (1980) as a top 200 classic album.

Given their influence and quality, I would want to include Husker Du in the top 200 as well. "Zen Arcade" (1984) (hardcore punk's own "Quadrophenia") is probably the best choice as it captures the band at its most ambitious and at the moment it began to cloak 60s pop styles around its buzzsaw guitar attack. I would also endorse nominations for "Flip Your Wig" (1985), a wonderfully-produced emotional rollercoaster that touches on ambivalence, romanticism, melancholia, nostalgia, self-doubt, political outrage and humor in a tight 38 minutes of dark, grungy guitar dirges and exuberant fuzz guitar pop.

For the same reasons (influence and quality), I suppose the Pixies' "Doolittle" (1989) should be included. But, personally, I prefer Frank Black's "Dog In The Sand" (2000), a stunningly diverse collection of great hooks and clever wordplay that comes complete with a good dose of sincerity missing from the earlier Pixies' material. In some ways it represents the most original adaptation of folk styles since Dylan's mid-60s peak.

The Church's "The Blurred Crusade" (1982) could make the top 200 - as far as 80s baroque pop went, nothing sounded as elegantly-produced or as expertly-played as this collection. Also, I'd nominated the band's 2002 release "After Everything, Now This" for its rich cinematic tone that finds the band ruminating on death in a much more ambient style than their 80s recordings.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 04:55:11 PM »

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy (1989)

Daniel Lanois is a controversial figure. Most people love him or hate him. I LIKE what he did to Dylan's sound. The later Bob Dylan can sometimes be like the later Brian Wilson. He can sing/sound so rough that it obliterates the material. On Oh Mercy, the atmosphere created by Lanois compliments Dylan's singing. These songs are mysterious, spooky, "nighttime" songs. And I like 'em. Oh Mercy still sounds fresh. I actually prefer it to Love And Theft.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:57:44 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 05:07:54 PM »

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy (1989)

Daniel Lanois is a controversial figure. Most people love him or hate him. I LIKE what he did to Dylan's sound. The later Bob Dylan can sometimes be like the later Brian Wilson. He can sing/sound so rough that it obliterates the material. On Oh Mercy, the atmosphere created by Lanois compliments Dylan's singing. These songs are mysterious, spooky, "nighttime" songs. And I like 'em. Oh Mercy still sounds fresh. I actually prefer it to Love And Theft.

I recently just got this album. (Some long-time posters may recall I was hunting for the non-canon Dylan albums, and those between mid-70s and L&T were absent from my collection.) I'm not sure quite how much I like it, but I do know I like it. I am not really a Lanois fan, but I liked his work here.

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 02:38:19 AM »

Odelay- Beck

I think I've already seen it show up high on a few polls.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 11:12:27 AM »

I can see Thriller and Purple Rain, but New Order... I mean, they're okay, but ... I'm not sure how 'classic' these all are, but among my personal favourites of that particular twenty years are the following (and I make no apology because many are 'old school'):

Loudon Wainwright - Last Man on Earth
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Rufus Wainwright - Rufus Wainwright
Warren Zevon - Life'll Kill Ya
Ron Sexsmith - Other Songs
Elliot Smith XO
Paul Simon - Graceland
BW - BW
Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
Dylan - Time out of Mind
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Johnny Cash - Unchained
Van Morrison - Beautiful Vision
Rickie Lee Jones - Flying Cowboys
Paddy MacAloon - I Trawl the Megahertz
John Hiatt - Crossing Muddy Waters
Los Lobos - Kiko
Lou Reed - New York
Dylan - Love and Theft
Springsteen - Nebraska
The Blue Nile - High
Boz Scaggs - Come On Home
Jimmy Webb - Ten Easy Pieces
Randy Newman - Land of Dreams
k. d. lang - Absolute Torch and Twang
Aimee Mann - Whatever
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 11:19:16 AM »

I can see Thriller and Purple Rain, but New Order... I mean, they're okay, but ...

May I ask why you picked those three to group together? As the song goes, one of these three is not like the other... My first thought was maybe you were confusing New Order with New Edition.

...among my personal favourites of that particular twenty years are the following (and I make no apology ...):

Now THAT is exactly what I love to see.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 11:21:20 AM »

By the way, last night I began compiling a list of albums for my real Top 150 pop albums of all time (through 2002, still believing that a little time is necessary for proper perspective).

I think I am almost done compiling my raw list. It has been very fun, at least for the kind of geek who gets into such things. I've been listening to a lot of great music I haven't (in some cases) listened to in years despite previously LOVING the albums. I find in many cases that I still do and know them inside and out. Others...well, they won't make the list.

I am about to begin grouping them into rough order, then trying to finalize the list. Maybe by tonight I will have it done.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 11:27:09 AM »

Ummm..... I think someone mentioned all three earlier - or maybe all three were mentioned earlier. I'm too lazy to check  Smiley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 11:32:07 AM »

There are some in that list that are my particular favourite (or close to it) by that artist:
both Wainwrights, Reed, Morrison, Smith, Sexsmith, lang, Springsteen, Petty, Fagen (although I prefer the earlier Dan albums), Cash, HIatt, Los Lobos, Zevon, Blue Nile, Talking Heads, Mann, Scaggs.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 07:25:18 AM »

I'm going to throw in one that many may totally disagree with.  I don't care, I think it is a brilliant record.  How about the self titled Rage Against the Maching debut album?  I love it and at it's time, there was nothing else like it out there.  Sure, a whole lot of really bad music came about becuase of it, but I really think this band had something really cool and original going on.  I think that Tom Morello was the first person since Ed Van Halen to really revolutionize the way his instrument was played.  Not that there haven't been a number of great players in the time between, but Morello really changed the way the game is played. 

Just my two cents.  Flame away!!  Or you could agree with me!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Trev1
Smiley Smile Newbie

Big Music Fan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »

Grand Prix by Teenage Fanclub  is a great classic album  Grin
MBE
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 10:41:53 PM »

I'll have to add Michael Jackson's BAD album to the list. I think it's just as good as Thriller, a lot of good songs. The track "Streetwalker" that's on the special edition of the BAD album is superb I think, especially the backing track and MJ's vocal on that is great. "Conspiracy Of One" by the Offspring is also a solid album, IMO.

Streetwalker is great I have it on a 12 inch.

I like History too because it's personal and angry. Hm I agree Bad and Thriller but I do like his Jacksons and early solo stuff better through 81. Prince I would say Purple Rain, I like Nylon Curtain by Billy Joel, I like the Jerry Lee Great Balls Of Fire soundtrack, I like Weird Al's first LP, I like Kenny Rogers Eyes That See In The Dark and Love Will Turn You Around, I like  McCartney's Press To Play, and Flaming Pie, I love the Wilbury's albums and George's Cloud Nine, and Live In Japan. I like Dylan's LOve And Theft and Time Out Of Mind, Under The Red Sky and Oh Mercy are good too. I like Brian's first solo album. I like the Stones Vodoo Lounge. I like James Brown's Bring It On.
That's 20 LP's
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »

Doesn't anybody think Crowded House's 1991 "Woodface" is a sublime masterpiece?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »

1) Steely Dan/Donald Fagen - Nightfly, Kamakiriad, Two Against Nature
2) Ween - Chocolate & Cheese, 12 Golden Country Greats, White Pepper
3) Gillian Welch - Revival
4) Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill, Paul's Boutique
5) The Derailers - Reverb Deluxe
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print