gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:33:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Lost Beach Boy" Got it today!!!!  (Read 2836 times)
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2007, 11:45:41 AM »

I ordered "The Lost Beach Boy" from Amazon U.K. this past Sunday, March 4th. I received it today, March 8th!!!! Four days from order date to arrival......from England. Unreal!!

I've only had time to browse some of the photos. Looks very interesting.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 05:04:13 AM »

I can understand a different release date for the UK.  I could understand a difference of a couple of days or a week or even 30 days, but why a three month (as in 1/4 of a year) wait for those of us in the USA?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 05:05:31 AM by LostArt » Logged
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:04:44 AM »

I just ordered my copy from pickabook.co.uk as they had the best price I could find (£12.05).
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:40:25 AM »

It was £17.99 in the shop, so you did well.

It's a fantastic book, but it makes me sad that Dave didn't stay in. Al could have been on bass and we need never have endured Deirdre or Endless Harmony perhaps. Grin

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 08:20:03 AM »

The only bad thing about the U.K. version of the book is the spelling of certain words. For "neighborhood" in the U.K. version we get "neighboUrhood."  "Tires" as on a car, shows up as "tyres."

No wonder we fought a war for our independence!!!  ( just kidding...no flames )

I hope the USA version has the "proper" spellings ( again...just kidding )
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 07:22:38 AM »

TYRES?

my goodness.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 08:27:05 AM »

Oy, the world we live in. British spellings for a British audience. Whatever next?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »

So has anyone finished it yet? Whats the scoop? LOL
Will any band members be calling their lawyers Monday? Wink
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »

The only bad thing about the U.K. version of the book is the spelling of certain words. For "neighborhood" in the U.K. version we get "neighboUrhood."  "Tires" as on a car, shows up as "tyres."

No wonder we fought a war for our independence!!!  ( just kidding...no flames )

I hope the USA version has the "proper" spellings ( again...just kidding )

Don't forget that American English is a bastardisation of UK English, and its you lot that have been manglig our language for years! Smiley LOL

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 09:23:02 PM »

I know you're saying that jokingly, and I feel a little silly because this has been posted elsewhere, but for anybody who finds it interesting, it turns out that UK English has actually very likely done the most evolution from the shared English of England and Colonial US.  For instance,  the English that was imported to the US in the 16 and 1700s was mostly rhotic, with England migrating to the largely non-rhotic english that you hear in Received Pronounciation.  Also, the English pronounciation of words like "Bath" and "Banana" are recent developments.  And as far as spelling goes, American spelling are generally closer to their origins.  So I would say the US and the UK have been mutually mangling the English language for some time now.

So, both forms have evolved a long way from our common linguistic point, and since all languages have evolved from something, we're all linguistic bastards.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 11:18:15 PM »

...comes off rather well in this book. Several times his kindness to Dave over the years is pointed out.
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »

I've speed-read through the book, and my initial impressions are:

For as much luck as the Beach Boys seemed to have had fatefully, Dave seems to have suffered the polar opposite.

While musically gifted, David seemed to drift a good while and didn't stick at anything for long, which pretty much meant he lost out on a good slice of history.

That David's musical integrity was undeniable, but I think that may have meant he didn't appreciate the BB legacy as much as he might have.  Maybe he does now?

How much like Dennis was he (lifestyle-wise)Huh! Shocked  Personally, I'm amazed he's still here.

It makes very clear that the importance of bonds made very early on helped to shape events later, and how much of a wider community of people were involved in one way or another.  Ps.  I would have liked to have met Louie, he sounds great.

I don't think anyone (litigiously pre-disposed) is going to get too worried about what's written here, although it presents a nice little alternative history, and you sense there may be a good bit of truth in it.

I can't make it to meet David and Jon this Friday, and I would really have liked to - they aren't too many miles away from me.  I'm a bit gutted.  Embarrassed

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx