gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:22:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Carl Wilson
5 - 6 (10%)
4 - 9 (15%)
3 - 23 (38.3%)
2 - 14 (23.3%)
1 - 6 (10%)
0 - 2 (3.3%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson (Carl Wilson)  (Read 33075 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »

Carl's voice saves it. He's given mostly lifeless, drab arrangements to work with and he still sings beautifully... it's almost melancholy.
Heaven is a really lovely track (though following it up with The Grammy was a rubbish idea Tongue ). Seems So Long Ago is also very nice.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »

This album wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I would take this over KTSA easily.

This album is terribly mixed, though.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »

I give this a 3.. You have half of a very good record.. Hold Me  Heaven  Seems so long ago  Hurry Love.. The Right lane  really sucks among others..  The cover of "Thank You "   CW played in concert rocked and should have been added as a bonus track.. Nice try but this lp comes up short.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 10:48:20 PM »

This is coming from a big Carl fan: It totally sucks.

Listened to the full album last night. I really did hope it was going to be a good album. Boy, was I disappointed.

Hurry Love and Seems So Long Ago are the only half-decent tracks off this album. The rest? f*** them. Even the slightly overrated Heaven, though it could be a case of letting it grow on me. At the moment, I don't like it at all.

Going Public is a better album than this, though Looking Back With Love is still a lot worse.

1.5 out of 5.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »

Say what you will, but I really dig "The Grammy"! It's rocking & catchy, has cool lead by Carl & well-arranged. I suspect the song's bad rep came mainly from the "awful lyrics". So glad I'm stuck into music, inarguably the most important element of the song, any song.
"Hold Me" is a close tie; "Heaven" is nice (but not good). Cut it to 3 minutes & we're maybe talking.
You might like the single version - cut to 3:30.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 09:28:14 PM »

Carl Wilson!  Yes, this 1981 gem just arrived today in my mailbox.  I love it!!

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 10:47:59 PM »

Carl Wilson!  Yes, this 1981 gem just arrived today in my mailbox.  I love it!!
Nice to know at least one person here enjoys this album. The cd sound is stunning! Really puts the spotlight on the fantastic drum work of James Stroud and Alan Krigger; and the bass work of Gerald Johnson and J.W.G. "Heaven" nearly brought tears to my eyes, thinking of a loved one who is no longer with us.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »

Carl Wilson - 7/10

This is my favorite of Carl's solo efforts. It's just a really pleasant, enjoyable album. I dig the stripped-back production and the resulting clarity. I like the drums high in the mix. The fact that this debut isn't the ambitious artistic statement that some fans may have hoped for doesn't bother me one bit. By comparison, Youngblood probably has stronger material and more impressive vocals from Carl, but the production is too busy for my taste. Too guitar-driven and dated. It's certainly more ambitious-sounding, but sometimes less is more.

I only have a few (minor) problems with Carl Wilson. 1) I think "What You Gonna Do About Me?" and "The Right Lane" both drag on too long. 2) I could have done without the nearly 2 minute saxophone solo in "Seems So Long Ago". Though, there are worse ways to end an album, sequence-wise (see Youngblood). 3) I'm not a fan of "The Grammy". Particularly, lyrically. Anyway, here's how I'd rank the tracks...

1. Heaven
2. Hurry Love

3. Hold Me
4. What You Gonna Do About Me?
5. The Right Lane
6. Seems So Long Ago
7. Bright Lights

8. The Grammy

Every wave is new until it breaks.
CarlWilsonfan101
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is my #1!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2019, 04:17:19 PM »

5/5 for me! It's a great album

Carl Wilson is the best Beach Boy!

"Subconsciously, I'm very religious." - Carl Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »

Carl Wilson - 7/10

This is my favorite of Carl's solo efforts. It's just a really pleasant, enjoyable album. I dig the stripped-back production and the resulting clarity. I like the drums high in the mix. The fact that this debut isn't the ambitious artistic statement that some fans may have hoped for doesn't bother me one bit. By comparison, Youngblood probably has stronger material and more impressive vocals from Carl, but the production is too busy for my taste. Too guitar-driven and dated. It's certainly more ambitious-sounding, but sometimes less is more.

I only have a few (minor) problems with Carl Wilson. 1) I think "What You Gonna Do About Me?" and "The Right Lane" both drag on too long. 2) I could have done without the nearly 2 minute saxophone solo in "Seems So Long Ago". Though, there are worse ways to end an album, sequence-wise (see Youngblood). 3) I'm not a fan of "The Grammy". Particularly, lyrically. Anyway, here's how I'd rank the tracks...

1. Heaven
2. Hurry Love

3. Hold Me
4. What You Gonna Do About Me?
5. The Right Lane
6. Seems So Long Ago
7. Bright Lights

8. The Grammy
Then you'll probably hate the live versions of those long tracks. What You Gonna Do About Me clocks in at 7 minutes on the live cd from the Bottom Line.
But I agree about the sound of the drums on this album - great clarity in the instruments because it's a very sparse production.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx