gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:38:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Definitive 200  (Read 4108 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2007, 04:26:05 AM »

Here's the Definitive 200's Top 10 :
1. The Beatles - ""Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band""
2. Pink Floyd - ""The Dark Side Of The Moon""
3. Michael Jackson - ""Thriller""
4. Led Zeppelin - ""Led Zeppelin IV"
5. U2 - ""Joshua Tree"
6. Rolling Stones - "Exile On Main Street"
7. Carole King - "Tapestry"
8. Bob Dylan - "Highway '61 Revisited"
9. Beach Boys - "Pet Sounds"
10. Nirvana - "Nevermind"

http://blog.cleveland.com/entertainment/2007/03/afternoon_buzz_5.html

This is the top10-list of the definitive 200 albums. Laughable imo, and not because PS isn't no.1 but because stuff like "Joshua tree" is even higher than Pet Sounds. It's a good album but it did nothing for the evolution of the music. It's not very important. Same goes for "Exile on main street" imo. Again a very good album, but not important.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 04:33:30 AM »

The same old crap again and again, I hope in 100 years time something on this list will be different.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 05:57:33 AM »

This list is garbage after just looking at the top 25!!  Santana's "Supernatural" at No. 13?  Seriously?  It wasn't even in the top 25 albums of 1999!  That album was fucking awful.  Oh but it made plenty of money I guess.  Hmmm....  Shania Twain also cracked the top 25 wth her ever so important "Come On Over" record.  Give me a break.

I know I shouldn't got torn up over these lists and everyone has an opinion I guess but this thing is such a joke!  It angers me!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:01:35 AM »

Last time, I promise!!! 

#117-Top Gun Soundtrack
#134-Footloose Soundtrack

Big up's to Kenny Loggins!   Angry

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:18:23 AM »

At least they haven't forgot about NWA and Kenny G...
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 07:33:05 AM »

Wow, that's a sad list. Same albums as most of the other lists I've seen, just in a different (strange, and more laughable) order.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:30:56 AM »

Revolver is usually the best Beatles album of choice. It is better than Pepper.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 12:42:20 PM »

It's kind of funny that people here complain about these lists having the "same old albums," and yet every time people try to champion newer music, the usual reaction is something like "no good music has been released in the past 20-30 years," or some well-intentioned attempt praising a new Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan or other classic-era artist's new release.

Actually, I am going to make a new attempt. See the General Music thread in a few minutes...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »

I'll have to check out your new thread. I'm open to new albums, that's for sure. I see a lot of lists that I just don't agree with...certain albums are over-praised and others are totally overlooked. It'll be interesting to see what comes up when the people on this board make up their own list of top albums.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:09:56 PM by melissalynn » Logged
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 04:48:24 AM »

I have no problem whatsoever with the same old albums being on these lists.  They are THAT good and thats why they are always on there.  There is a reason for it.  What I DO have a problem with is worthless pap such as the aformentioned Shania Twain and the Santana record and countless others that are on this list that have no real importance other than selling a shitload of records and making the industry big bucks.

Luther, your new thread is very interesting indeed and I agree with most of your choices.  I totally embrace new music and while Pet Sounds might be my favorite record, I really hope that someday something is released that tops it.  I agree that it seems that a lot of people aren't willing to let something new reach that same level as their classic albums do.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 04:49:52 AM »

I know I shouldn't got torn up over these lists and everyone has an opinion I guess but this thing is such a joke!  It angers me!

I know this probably wont mean much to non-Australian readers but the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) had a list of the 100 greatest albums. Here's the link:

http://www.abc.net.au/myfavouritealbum/top100.htm

It WAS voted by the public, so I suppose you can't get too worked up about the list... but still some of the albums selected are a joke, how can the public be so tasteless? It saddens me sometimes that most people I know just have very little diversity or taste in what they listen to. There is too many poor albums on the list to mention but the one that stood out to me the MOST was #32 - Anthony Callea — Anthony Callea... he was the Australian Idol 2004 runner-up and his self-titled debut album was released in 2005. The list obviously means nothing but still pretty poor if you ask me

I also found this list: http://www.abc.net.au/news/arts/articulate/200606/s1654308.htm
Oasis at #1 and #5??   LOL
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 07:35:10 AM »

the list is a joke because sgt pepper is a highly overrated album. yes, it has its *moments* however revolver and rubber soul are freakin amazing from the first to last note.

that being said, pet sounds should be the numba one! Wink

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »

I'll stick up for Shania Twain's Come On Over. 

It may not be your particular cup o'tea, but the fact of the matter is that 'Come On Over' is a minor pop classic in my opinion.  There are no clunkers or fillers on it.   It is a landmark album that bridges pop and country and pretty much the blueprint of what now makes up the vast majority of country music that gets played on the radio anymore, for better, for worse.  That's not Twain's fault, of course.  I blame the corporate hacks in Nashville who leap onto something and then milk it to death. 

Does it belong with the best of the best?  Probably not.  But to simply dismiss it as 'pap' is being incredibly short-sighted and dare I say, elitist.  Music can inform.  Music can educate.  But most of all, music can entertain.   My .02.

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 11:07:20 AM »

It may not be your particular cup o'tea, but the fact of the matter is that 'Come On Over' is a minor pop classic in my opinion.  There are no clunkers or fillers on it.   It is a landmark album that bridges pop and country and pretty much the blueprint of what now makes up the vast majority of country music that gets played on the radio anymore, for better, for worse.  That's not Twain's fault, of course.  I blame the corporate hacks in Nashville who leap onto something and then milk it to death. 

Does it belong with the best of the best?  Probably not.  But to simply dismiss it as 'pap' is being incredibly short-sighted and dare I say, elitist.  Music can inform.  Music can educate.  But most of all, music can entertain.   My .02.

I understand your argument and I have been accused of being an elitist before so that is fine by me.  I am all for music as entertainment.  I am not so uppity that I don't understand that not all music that is great is lyrically brilliant or on a higher technical plain, I just don't find that particular record as being entertaining.  Some do and that is fine.  Just my opinion.  Personally, I find it to have plenty of clunkers and misses and I don't really think she started anything new with the country-pop genre as it was already happening, she was just the first one that had that kind of marketability.  I just find it to be soulless music put out by a cute face.  It's all Mutt Lange's fault!

Anyways, not tryingt o start arguments or anything, just explaining my position on it.  You live anywhere near Tennessee by chance?  I'll buy you a beer and we can share musical opinions in a friendly matter!

MBE
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »

Here's the Definitive 200's Top 10 :
1. The Beatles - ""Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band""  Revolver and Rubber Soul hell almost all of them are better.
2. Pink Floyd - ""The Dark Side Of The Moon"" Syd Barrett era kicks butt.
3. Michael Jackson - ""Thriller"" He was so much better with the Jacksons but Off The Wall is far better
4. Led Zeppelin - ""Led Zeppelin IV" I perfer the Yardbirds
5. U2 - ""Joshua Tree"  Don't care for them
6. Rolling Stones - "Exile On Main Street"  Aftermath is way better, Brian Jones' playing blows away all of Exile.
7. Carole King - "Tapestry"  Another I don't care about
8. Bob Dylan - "Highway '61 Revisited"  Decent choice but Blonde on Blonde as well as Live 66 may be better
9. Beach Boys - "Pet Sounds"  Ok great album but too low on the list and a predictable choice. How about Today or Sunflower?
10. Nirvana - "Nevermind" Another group I could care less about.

http://blog.cleveland.com/entertainment/2007/03/afternoon_buzz_5.html

This is the top10-list of the definitive 200 albums. Laughable imo, and not because PS isn't no.1 but because stuff like "Joshua tree" is even higher than Pet Sounds. It's a good album but it did nothing for the evolution of the music. It's not very important. Same goes for "Exile on main street" imo. Again a very good album, but not important.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 08:49:38 PM »

Is BWPS on the list?? Probably doesn't belong there because it belongs on the "ALBUMS BETTER THAN THE DEFINITIVE 200" list. Why demote it to the minor leagues, you know??
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 02:42:26 AM »

I don't have a problem with this list. My list would be different, but I've seen much worse lists.
But I believe you could have 100 people make a list and they would all be different. Lists have a lot to do with opinion. I can't believe there aren't many U2 fans on here. I think they are one of the greatest bands of all time. Definitely the best band to come out of the 80s (which isn't saying too much). Actually second best to the Flaming Lips.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 06:30:45 AM »

I can't believe there aren't many U2 fans on here. I think they are one of the greatest bands of all time. Definitely the best band to come out of the 80s (which isn't saying too much). Actually second best to the Flaming Lips.

I like U2 OK, or did anyway, from up through the early 90s. I just lost interest somewhere along there when it seemed like they were either forcing things one direction (that I didn't much care about) or trying to recapture what they had already done. But that, I suppose, is really one of the risks of being a huge band that lasts more than a few albums--I feel the same way about post-Amnesiac Radiohead (and I' m sure other bands, if i were to put any thought into it). But I do think U2 did a lot of cool things in the 80s.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 07:22:05 AM »

I understand your argument and I have been accused of being an elitist before so that is fine by me.  I am all for music as entertainment.  I am not so uppity that I don't understand that not all music that is great is lyrically brilliant or on a higher technical plain, I just don't find that particular record as being entertaining.  Some do and that is fine.  Just my opinion.  Personally, I find it to have plenty of clunkers and misses and I don't really think she started anything new with the country-pop genre as it was already happening, she was just the first one that had that kind of marketability.  I just find it to be soulless music put out by a cute face.  It's all Mutt Lange's fault!

Anyways, not tryingt o start arguments or anything, just explaining my position on it.  You live anywhere near Tennessee by chance?  I'll buy you a beer and we can share musical opinions in a friendly matter!

Ohio.  I'm always up for a beer or two.

Totally understand that musical tastes tend to be subjective.  I'm sure there's quite a few recordings on that list that I wouldn't listen to. 

Country-pop might have been headed in that direction, and Shania's first big record certainly helped bring it along, but Come On Over pretty much blew it wide open.  Again, for better, for worse since my taste in country actually tends to revolve around the Texas music scene.  Charlie and Bruce Robison.  Jack Ingram.  Kelly Willis.  Jerry Jeff Walker. 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »

I like U2 OK, or did anyway, from up through the early 90s. I just lost interest somewhere along there when it seemed like they were either forcing things one direction (that I didn't much care about) or trying to recapture what they had already done. But that, I suppose, is really one of the risks of being a huge band that lasts more than a few albums--I feel the same way about post-Amnesiac Radiohead (and I' m sure other bands, if i were to put any thought into it). But I do think U2 did a lot of cool things in the 80s.

I love Radiohead. They have only had one album since Amnesiac. I don't think Hail to the Theaf is as good as Kid A /Amnesiac, but I think its at least as good as OK Computer. Definitely better then Pablo Honey and the Bends IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 01:51:17 PM »

I was (unfairly, I guess) lumping Thom Yorke's solo album into my post-amnesiac thoughts.

HttT struck me as OK, but sort of just more of the same, I guess. Before that there seemed to be progression, improvement (to my ears).

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx