gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:14:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New "Warmth Of The Sun" Compilation  (Read 16406 times)
Wilsonista
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »

4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love

You might have a poinrt, but geez, listen to the a capella break!!!! A bit so good that when the Mike and Bruce BB do it live, they actually START with that bit! That should tell you something.

It's the single version that starts with the acapella-break, which leads me to repeat my question if WOTS will have the single version on it since that one isn't available afaIk

Wow. I don't have the FFF 45 so I've never heard Why Do Fools like that. 
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2007, 06:10:08 PM »

You might have a poinrt, but geez, listen to the a capella break!!!! A bit so good that when the Mike and Bruce BB do it live, they actually START with that bit! That should tell you something.

It's the single version that starts with the acapella-break, which leads me to repeat my question if WOTS will have the single version on it since that one isn't available afaIk

At Alan boyd's request I just played my original picture sleeve single that I bought when the record came out (yeah I'm that old) and it does not start with the acapella break. It starts with Mike's bass vocal, going into the group ooh wah ooh wah etc......

If anyone has a version that starts with the acapella "why do fools fall in love" we'd like to know exactly where it was released, but its not on the original US Capitol single.

Mark Linett
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

Quote from: Rocker on Today at 10:55:57 AM
Quote from: RobMac on March 10, 2007, 03:25:05 PM

Huh??

We did find and play a vintage 1964 US stock copy of the single as a reference before we mastered the album, and it had, as documented elsewhere, a slight variation of the Mike Love doo-wop vocal intro (this one with the group humming behind Mike).  There was no acapella "Why do fools falll in looooove" open.  That's the version we're using on WOTS.

BUT - it's interesting you should mention that.... the original 1/4" mono single master, as found on a vintage Capitol "phono reel," has a copy of the acapella break at the head of the track, although it isn't actually edited to the beginning of the song. 

When we found this, I wondered if Brian had intended to edit the acapella break to the beginning of the single, to give it a more dynamic opening.  It would have worked, musically.

If you actually have an old 45 with that acapella break as the song's intro, methinks you've got yourself a fascinating rarity there!

Alan

Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »

I'm obviously still trying to figure out how this whole "quote" thing works....  Roll Eyes
MBE
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2007, 06:22:07 PM »

My 80s reissue single has the ooooo opening.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2007, 06:45:54 PM »

My 80s reissue single has the ooooo opening.

so this would appear to be something someone did later without the group's knowledge. Can you tell us the label and color (purple Capitol label with the dome on it? ) and the release number of the disc? I assume that it is still the flip of "Fun Fun Fun". At any rate we are using the original 45 version on the Warmth CD.

Thanks.... Mark

XY
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2007, 12:34:51 AM »

Yes, the so-called single mix makes the rounds, on half-hearty Japanese compilations released by Capitol for example.

This is just speculation, but could it be from the European "Fun, Fun, Fun" EP, released in June 1964?

Edit:
Japanese "Beach Boys Single Collection" (Capitol TOCP-7771-73)
includes single mixes of many songs from the Capitol era like "Hushabye", "Little Bird", "Wake The World", "Bluebirds Over The Mountain", "Never Learn Not To Love", "All I Want To Do" etc...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 12:49:26 AM by Jasper » Logged
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2007, 05:35:45 AM »

Re: 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love' - that should be single EDIT, and not single MIX, right?
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2007, 08:02:33 AM »

Re: 'Why Do Fools Fall In Love' - that should be single EDIT, and not single MIX, right?
Yes it would be an edit using the middle acapella break at the top.

Anyone have the European single that can check ? It would be interesting to discover when the version with the acapella intro first appeared since it wasn't on the US 45.

I'll have to look it up but was the song released as the A side of a single anywhere?

Mark
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2007, 08:49:19 AM »

edit: error

I thought I had found the right single, but I had not.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:07:21 AM by Christian » Logged
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2007, 10:04:59 AM »

Man, I wish this compilation was just full of Love You...imagine being some casual fan and pickin up this CD, starting out with Wendy, or Honda, or 409 or something and then just launching into Solar System, Ding Dang, and Mona.

People just don't know how to market these days...

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2007, 12:47:50 AM »

Man, I wish this compilation was just full of Love You...imagine being some casual fan and pickin up this CD, starting out with Wendy, or Honda, or 409 or something and then just launching into Solar System, Ding Dang, and Mona.

People just don't know how to market these days...

Sure, scare the crap out of the listener, why don't ya!
You've got to build up to these things, I think. You go from, say, 'Girls On The Beach' straight into 'Roller Skating Child' and your head might explode.

(oh and I'm not sure if it's quite evident in what I said above, but I quite adore Love You...)

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
MBE
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2007, 01:08:12 AM »

Mark my copy is the purple starline x6106 51179. Yes Fun, Fun, Fun is stil the a side. Very clean pressing. I think it is on the UK Capitol Years set if I am not mistaken.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2007, 06:28:08 AM »

At any rate we are using the original 45 version on the Warmth CD.

Thanks.... Mark

Allright, thanks.
I thought the other one was the original single. I just heard it once or twice from a friend who told me it was the single and i liked it. So sorry for all this confusion.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 06:35:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx