gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:46:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New "Warmth Of The Sun" Compilation  (Read 16449 times)
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2007, 08:33:18 AM »

The question is, will this sell?

part of me still hopes any newly released beach boy lp sells well. and i have to admit, after all the group bickering of the past decade and deaths of 2 members, another part doesn't care what it sells. there was that time though i hoped everything would sell well, and when it didn't i was very disappointed.
my gut feeling is, why would this one sell well now vs when the bulk of this cd's song lineup was originally released  they didn't sell well then? why expect it now? the public has had many chances to "discover" this music and most never did. i think the public buys the "hits" and that is it. its a shame. seems like every "vol 1" or whatever sells the most verses "vol 2". the 1st one loads up on the hits and that is what sells.
just my 2 cents worth..................... and part of me still hopes i will be proven wrong and it sells well....
and of course i will buy it.... Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 09:41:00 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »

WHY wasn't "Surfin'" included?  Anyone know?  Seems to me it should have been somewhere in the first 6 tracks or so...   Maybe following "409"?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »

I don't get why they just don't do a definitive compilation - you can encompass the sixties in two discs [at 78 minutes apiece] and delete the other stuff. You could fit:

Disc One:

Surfin'
Surfin' Safari
Surfin' USA
Shut Down
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
Catch A Wave
In My Room
Be True To Your School [45]
Little Saint Nick [45]
The Warmth Of The Sun
Fun, Fun, Fun
Don't Worry Baby
I Get Around
Little Honda
Wendy
All Summer Long
When I Grow Up [To Be A Man]
Dance, Dance, Dance
Please Let Me Wonder
Kiss Me, Baby
Do You Wanna Dance?
Help Me, Rhonda
Let Him Run Wild
California Girls
Then I Kissed Her
You're So Good To Me
Girl Don't Tell Me
The Little Girl I Once Knew
Barbara-Ann [45 edit]
Sloop John B.

Disc Two:

Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe In Me
God Only Knows
Caroline, No
Here Today
Good Vibrations
Wonderful [Smile]
Cabinessence
Surf's Up
Heroes And Villains
Wild Honey
Darlin'
Here Comes The Night
Country Air
Little Bird
Meant For You
Friends
Wake The World
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Bluebirds Over The Moutain
Time To Get Alone
Do It Again
I Can Hear Music
Forever
Break Away
Slip On Through
Cotton Fields
This Whole World
Tears In The Morning

Surely that would encompass the high points of the 1961-1969 era - sure there could be few substitutions, but that's the best mix, in my opinion of "art" versus "hits".

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2007, 10:51:09 AM »

From a release-date standpoint, you've got some 1970 songs in there with the Sunflower songs.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »

This particular compilation is targeted specifically at people who bought "Sounds of Summer," in hopes of exposing them to the deeper BB catalog.   SOS has sold soooo well (almost 3 million by now) that, if even a fraction of that audience is intrigued enough to pick up this CD..... and a fraction of THAT audience is thus inspired to check out, say, "Sunflower/Surf's Up" or "Today/Summer Days," then this release will help to breathe new life into the catalog.... and hopefully that will lead to further archival releases.

I'm really hoping that there will be folks out there who will see this in a store, say to themselves, "I sure liked that Sounds of Summer CD," and they'll look at the track list and go, "409, I know that one, she's real fine, cool.... All Summer Long, that one's good.... Why Do Fools Fall In Love?  Man I loved it when they sang that at tha fair last year.... The Beach Boys did California Dreamin?  I LOVE that song....yeah, I think I'll get this!" and they'll take it home and hear "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Let Him Run Wild" and "Surf's Up"" and "Til I Die" and "Break Away" and "Warmth of The Sun" and "Sail On Sailor" for the first time.... and they'll be touched, moved, surprised (or, as Brian would say, "blown out"), and the next thing you know we'll have a bunch of newbies here on the board asking all sorts of dumb questions and driving AGD bonkers.

That's what we're all hoping for.

Alan
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2007, 12:26:52 PM »

From a release-date standpoint, you've got some 1970 songs in there with the Sunflower songs.

Yeah, but from a recording standpoint, which I always think is more pertinent, the later ones are all at least started in 1969; I think only maybe "Tears"' recording moved into 1970.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »

... and the next thing you know we'll have a bunch of newbies here on the board asking all sorts of dumb questions

As a former extremely dumb newbie and unfortunately now sometimes too snobbish fan of only decent knowledge (nowhere near those with the most), I must say: LOL.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »

Welcome one and all!  I love hearing "dumb" BB questions, actually... it means they're new to the catalog and just starting to get into it.

I have to say that the biggest compliment I ever got on the ENDLESS HARMONY film was when somebody came up to me and said that the day after they saw that on VH-1 they went out and bought $100 worth of Beach Boys' CDs.  That just about made my year.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2007, 01:18:40 PM »

I have a dumb question or three, actually:

Ol' Man River: Aside from the gospel-esque group harmony version and the uptempo medley-with-Old-Folks-At-Home version, are there any other releaseable versions of that song?

Any chance of official live releases of Your Song, Surf's Up, Okie From Muskogee, Jumping Jack Flash or I've Got A Friend at any time ever? Do you have "officially recorded live versions of those songs in the archives?

And what can you tell us about "Telephone Backgrounds on a Clear Day" from the Surf's Up sessions? How long is it?

Thanks!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2007, 01:21:16 PM »

I guess, if I can read in to what Alan Boyd is saying, that if this sells well, then it bodes well for BBCentral.

If not... then... I guess we're stuck with that blue background and collage that has been torturing us for almost a year now...

That said, I'll pick up a copy for home and car, probably a few for some friends too... assuming I have a job by that point... 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Wilsonista
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2007, 01:25:05 PM »

OK, Rob and Joe, you think I'm wrong in pulling "Friends" off the tracklist. That's cool. I respect your opinions. And I'm not gonna say you're "nuts" or ask you "what your on". 

But this I will ask you both: Do you think "Friends" is a better song/record/representative - put in your own word, you know what I mean - than "Caroline No", "Our Prayer", "Cabinessence", or "This Whole World"? And those were the songs I suggested to replace it. You would choose "Friends" over those?

Friends is every bit the equal of the song of what you have chosen.  I have no qualms with those, just a few of what you wanted to take out.  OK, just about all of them.

Take out:

1. Then I Kissed Her

I always liked this, and it was a huge UK chart hit in '67.

2. Disney Girls

Another one where I'd probably ask you "that question".  It's Bruce's best song and has gotten quite a  few covers for being a BB rarity (Art Garfunkel, Cass Eliot)

3. Friends

One of the best BB songs of the period, period! And one of my Top 5 fave BB songs. You aren't going to take that one off of a comp!!!

4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love

You might have a poinrt, but geez, listen to the a capella break!!!! A bit so good that when the Mike and Bruce BB do it live, they actually START with that bit! That should tell you something.

5. Feel Flows

I admit, it took me a while to warm to the lyrics, but   now I like it too.  Plus it did get quite a bit of exposure thanks to Almost Famous.

6. All This Is That

The greatest BB track w/o Brian. Everyone sings subimely on that one, even Mike. And Carl's falsetto tag? You wouldn't be out of line calling that his finest hour as a singer.

7. Don't Go Near The Water

OK,  I think I can agreee on this one. THIS is what you should take out and replace with a This Whole World!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 01:47:56 PM by RobMac » Logged
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2007, 01:40:27 PM »

Ol' Man River:  As far as I know, that's all there is on that one.  The vocal vesrion was pieced together from a couple of separate takes.

We do have good myulti-track recordings of most of those songs live, except "Okie" and "I've Got A Friend."  I do hope that we'll be releasing some more live material soon.... there are a couple of specific projects being discussed for release through the BB website, and we're still transferring, cataloguing, and preserving tapes.

I haven't heard "Telephone Backkgrounds" but I'm told it's merely sound effects - there's no song there, unfortunately.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

I just wondered about Ol' Man River, since I believe it was one of Brian's "obsession" songs - I thought that there'd be lots of versions of it. I like the song and both versions of it.

Shame about "I've Got A Friend", that was the one I'd hoped could be placed in the "canon" the most...

Badman says "Telephone Backgrounds" was a moog collage, so that figures. I wonder if it was intended to be an intro to something.. Til I Die perhaps?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »

so is there gonna be anything new on this to get the hardcore fans to buy? like SOS had that dvd an a couple new extra stereo tracks...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wilsonista
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2007, 01:51:46 PM »

New stereo remixes of previously mono-only cuts done by ML (not not THAT ML!) Wink
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2007, 02:09:49 PM »

Unfortunately, judging from the tracklisting to the comp, NOBODY will be asking the "dumb" question of, "Hey, how tall was Denny???" If you sneeze, you miss him.

Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again?
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »

I have to say that the biggest compliment I ever got on the ENDLESS HARMONY film was when somebody came up to me and said that the day after they saw that on VH-1 they went out and bought $100 worth of Beach Boys' CDs.

funny thing...the day after I saw it I went and bought every BB cd that Best Buy had in stock...I must say, Endless Harmony impacted me in the same way. It was the first time I'd ever paid attention to the Beach Boys in more than a 'casual' listener way.

Anyway, back on track...I don't mind 'dumb questions' from 'newbies'...I've been a Beach Boys fanatic for about 9 years now and I still don't know anywhere near what I'd like to know about them (probably because I absolutely know squat about the process that goes into recording a song). Dumb questions are something that every fan shouldn't be afraid to ask. It's how you learn.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »

Hooray for the dumb questions

I've been a fan for 16 years and there are still times I find myself asking a dumb question.

Thankfully the world has it's share of AGDs, ABs, and others who are happy to share their knowledge

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2007, 02:38:20 PM »

Hooray for the dumb questions

I've been a fan for 16 years and there are still times I find myself asking a dumb question.

Thankfully the world has it's share of AGDs, ABs, and others who are happy to share their knowledge
Crazy, I've been a fan for 16 years too...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »

I miss being able to ask dumb questions, not that I haven't asked any lately, but because dumb questions are usually answerable.  Now all of my Beach Boys questions are generally lost to time, like "what mics were used on every instrument for the recording of Wouldn't It Be Nice" or "how did the boys set up in the studio for the recording of Dance, Dance, Dance" or "Who played bass on each track of Wild Honey" etc.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2007, 04:16:42 PM »

okay my math skills suck...   I dunno what I was thinking when I said 16 years...  sorry Eric 

Summer of 86... to Spring of 07... that's 21 years according to my handy-dandy calculator

Man, I've been a fan longer than it took me to get thru school and have my first drink.  YIKES!!  Where do the years go?

I still remember going to the store to get a copy of "Endless Summer" after hearing "I Get Around" in the Disney movie "Flight of the Navigator" the previous evening....

...and the rest, as they say, is history
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:17:39 PM by GoofyJeff » Logged

-Dennis Wilson, 1970
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2007, 07:48:35 PM »

I still remember going to the store to get a copy of "Endless Summer" after hearing "I Get Around" in the Disney movie "Flight of the Navigator" the previous evening....

Huh...I remember hearing it (and "When I Grow Up") in Look Who's Talking. They were the only two BB songs I liked until I actually got into the group in 1995. That's another (long) story...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2007, 09:11:42 PM »

and the next thing you know we'll have a bunch of newbies here on the board asking all sorts of dumb questions and driving AGD bonkers.

That's what we're all hoping for.

Alan

Gee, thanks buddy !  Grin I'll just give 'em your email addy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2007, 08:55:57 AM »

4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love

You might have a poinrt, but geez, listen to the a capella break!!!! A bit so good that when the Mike and Bruce BB do it live, they actually START with that bit! That should tell you something.

It's the single version that starts with the acapella-break, which leads me to repeat my question if WOTS will have the single version on it since that one isn't available afaIk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2007, 09:32:30 AM »

It just hit me, why the hell has 'All I Wanna Do' not been included.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx