gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:48:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slightly OT: Phil Spector Boxed Set  (Read 3479 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2007, 01:49:02 AM »

This was mentioned on the Imagination Yahoo Group a few weeks back: the 4-disc Phil Spector boxed set "Back To Mono 1958-1969" is selling for $14.77 on deepdiscount.com, with free shipping.  It comes with a 96 page book inside and is enclosed in a nice box.  The entire Phil Spector Christmas album is on it, too.  Just thought I'd mention this because there are probably many Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fans on here who never got around to buying this boxed set who may be interested in it now.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:40:52 AM »

BEST...............DEAL...........EVER!!!  Seriously.

I bought 4 of 'em at Christmas time for about the same price.   For anyone even mildly curious about it,
JUST DO IT!

Heck, it's worth it just for the box and button! 

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 10:43:40 AM »

I bought this set for 19.99$ at a record store where I live...I recommend everyone who cares about music at all buy this set. A must-have for your library.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:01:43 AM »

Got it on vinyl comes with s bsck to mono pin. Great set 90 percent is fantastic
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 11:03:28 AM »

it's great to hear the original version of This Could Be Night...and Just Once in my Life (as i'd only heard the BW versions before)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »

I heard about that. Drives me crazy, 'cause...

Almost 7 years ago, I bought this box set downtown, at Virgin Megastore for like $70 bucks! Ow. But, upon first listen, I decided it was very worth it (I think that was the same trip where I bought the LLVS book, from the same store. Lo those many years ago...).

Now, a couple of weeks ago, I went down to that same Virgin Megastore and found the same box set to be priced $19.99. *sigh*

Oh well. At least I've had it all these years, and it's given me much happiness.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »

What's it like...?  Instrumental session takes?  Stereo remixes? 

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 04:57:05 AM »

What's it like...?  Instrumental session takes?  Stereo remixes? 

Nope. It's just a 3 CD 'best of' overview plus the christmas album.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 04:58:05 AM by shelter » Logged
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 06:34:49 AM »

There is also one of those unofficial Spector sessions box sets "out there."

And a disc of sessions for the christmas album, I think.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 02:20:03 PM »

That Back To Mono button is just about the coolest thing ever!

Bought my boxed set the other day for an equally low price at Amazon and while I knew most of the songs before of course, I just can't stop listening over and over again. My current favorite has to be Girls Can Tell - what an amazing song.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 03:05:22 PM »

Music seems to me to be a lot more rockin' and a'swinging back then. Too bad we don't any of those good time songs anymore. The Phil Spector Box set is a wonderful set of music. Just can't get enough of that and 60's Motown. Incredible!! Afro
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 11:27:12 PM »

Music seems to me to be a lot more rockin' and a'swinging back then. Too bad we don't any of those good time songs anymore. The Phil Spector Box set is a wonderful set of music. Just can't get enough of that and 60's Motown. Incredible!! Afro

Man, you said it all! I've been a Motown addict for awhile now. On top of that, I love Spector's records, plus some of the British Invasion groups (Stones and Beatles, really but I dig the Kinks a bit too), and all those one-off singles from the late '60s from whos-it bands (like Spiral Staircase or The Mindbenders) and lots more. Oh, and some inde band called the Beach Boys. Pretty darn groovy, too...

The '60s is the most musically rich decade, if you ask me.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 12:28:21 AM »

Ronettes: Be my baby, finally

By Steve Jones, USA TODAY
Ronnie Spector waited 19 years for a call from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The long delay hasn't dampened her enthusiasm about finally being honored on March 12, when she and other members of '60s girl group The Ronettes will be inducted with R.E.M., Van Halen, Patti Smith and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.
The Ronettes' inclusion is a victory both artistic and personal to Ronnie, who recently learned that her former husband and famed "wall of sound" producer Phil Spector had moved to oppose the group's admission into the hall.

Phil Spector, who goes on trial March 19 for the murder of actress Lana Clarkson, has minimized his ex-wife's contributions to the groundbreaking Ronettes, she says. She points to a letter obtained by her lawyers two years ago. Dated July 11, 1994, and addressed to the Rock Hall's nominating committee, he details why The Ronettes (which included Ronnie's sister Estelle Bennett and cousin Nedra Talley) are unworthy of induction.

"My first objection to the Ronettes, is that they did not record!" states Spector, who was inducted in 1989. "Of all the recordings they made, only the lead singer appeared. The group behind her, as you no doubt know, consisted of any number of hundreds of singers I used for that purpose.

"Secondly, I do not think they made the contribution required of some to be in the HALL OF FAME, nor do they have the body of work that would qualify them for induction."

He went on to name several other groups that deserved consideration ahead of The Ronettes.

Spector, the onetime "Tycoon of Teen," produced hits for such acts as Ike & Tina Turner, The Ramones, George Harrison, John Lennon and the Righteous Brothers.

Ronnie Spector, 63, says she was hurt but not surprised by what she considers vindictive assertions. She says Phil Spector has been bitter since they divorced in 1974.

"He's an angry and unhappy man, and he hasn't been successful since I left," Ronnie says.

She says her ex-husband used different backup singers on Ronettes records because he was too cheap to bring the other Ronettes to California for recording sessions.

Roger Rosen, a lawyer for Phil Spector, said that his client was preparing for trial and had no statement about the induction or any of Ronnie Spector's allegations.

Ronnie says, "I waited so long for all this to happen, but as they say, it's never too late."

The former lead singer of The Ronettes, best known for such hits as Be My Baby and Walking in the Rain, has never stopped playing to eager crowds and continues to be a favorite among peers. Smith, Keith Richards, The Smithereens' Dennis Diken and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Nick Zinner are guests on Last of the Rock Stars, due this spring.

Spector says that though the producer created the sound of The Ronettes, the trio broke the mold of demure girl groups with their raw sexuality, beehive hairdos, dark eyeliner, provocative outfits and exotic beauty. They were the first ones bold enough to directly tell boys they wanted them.

"We were not like any other girl group," Spector says. "We sweated. We had slits up the side. It was like nuts. We were knocking them dead because of our looks and my voice."

The Ronettes disbanded in 1966 after Bennett and Talley both got married.

She returned to performing and recording after the divorce, collaborating with Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon, Brian Wilson, Alice Cooper, Jimi Hendrix, Joey Ramone and others. Her 1986 duet with Eddie Money, Take Me Home Tonight, was nominated for a Grammy Award. In 2001, The Ronettes were awarded nearly $3 million in royalties after a 15-year legal battle.

Spector lives in Connecticut with Jonathan Greenfield, her manager and husband of 25 years, and their two sons. She adopted three children with Phil Spector.

"If somebody told me that when I was 60, people would still be coming to hear me sing Be My Baby and Walking in the Rain, I wouldn't have believed it," she says. "But here I am, and I'm not slowing down. I'm moving ahead."

So what did Ronnie and Brian work on? I don't recall reading anything but I did find this which I think is great. Brian still able to throw out a cool backing vocal and Ronnie still has (in 2000 anyway) a strong lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHSldRCzGqI

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 01:15:34 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 01:25:54 AM »

The '60s is the most musically rich decade, if you ask me.

Couldn't agree more, why was I just over 30 years too late to experience it all Cheesy
I always tell people that the 60's were the best, but everyone just thinks im crazy. Thats why I enjoy these message boards - people arent blind! Smiley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 01:26:35 AM »

or should that be deaf.... Smiley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 05:59:36 AM »

Couldn't agree more, why was I just over 30 years too late to experience it all Cheesy
I always tell people that the 60's were the best, but everyone just thinks im crazy. Thats why I enjoy these message boards - people arent blind! Smiley

I was also born much too late to experience it (1978), but I agree. I think pop music was at it's very best in the second half of the 60s. Pop music has never been as good, pure and creative ever since.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx