gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680812 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:06:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hamburger Sessions  (Read 6873 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2007, 09:17:29 PM »

I was wondering can anyone give me a definative list of what is from these sessions, or is it a name given to a bunch of sessions or what? Anyone got any info to help me understand what exactly these 'sessions' are?
XY
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:57:57 PM »

Hamburger?

Do you mean this one?

1. (Talking)
2. California Girls
3. "Let's Start Our Own Band"
4. My Solution
5. (Sounds of sexual intercourse)
6. Mike, Mike, Mike
7. Bonanza Theme
8. It's Just A Matter Of Time
9. I Don't Want To Die
10. Take My Breath Away
11. You Take My Breath Away
12. (Talking)

That's still a bit of a mystery... I once saw it on ebay coupled with "Remember The Zoo".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:21:42 PM »

Hamburger?

Do you mean this one?

1. (Talking)
2. California Girls
4. My Solution
6. Mike, Mike, Mike
7. Bonanza Theme
9. I Don't Want To Die
10. Take My Breath Away
12. (Talking)

That's still a bit of a mystery... I once saw it on ebay coupled with "Remember The Zoo".

Hi Jasper, no Ive never even heard of that one before. The one Im talking about (its actually usually called the Cocaine eSessions though ive seen it listed as the Hamburger sssions) has songs such as "Oh Lord", "Yeahhh", "City Blues" etc.. atleast I think those songs are part of these 'sessions' that I am talking about
XY
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:34:58 PM »

Oh, OK.

The Cocaine session was probably recorded in late 1980 or early '81 in the living room of a guy called Garby Leon.

01. Yeahhh (Child, Adult, And Parent)
02. Oh Lord
03. City Blues
04. Piano (I Said A Prayer/This Isn't Love)
05. You've Been (Pt. 1)
06. You've Been (Pt. 2)
07. I Feel So Fine
08. Heroes And Villains

"Stevie" was the only song out of those Dennis/Brian-sessions that was actually recorded in the studio at the time (rec. 12/80 & 01/81).
MBE
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 10:51:45 PM »

It's actually a good tape. Brian never sounded so passonate again except for some of the Paley tapes.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:03:23 PM »

Oh, OK.

The Cocaine session was probably recorded in late 1980 or early '81 in the living room of a guy called Garby Leon.

01. Yeahhh (Child, Adult, And Parent)
02. Oh Lord
03. City Blues
04. Piano (I Said A Prayer/This Isn't Love)
05. You've Been (Pt. 1)
06. You've Been (Pt. 2)
07. I Feel So Fine
08. Heroes And Villains

"Stevie" was the only song out of those Dennis/Brian-sessions that was actually recorded in the studio at the time (rec. 12/80 & 01/81).

Thanks Jasper, appreciate it. Do you reckon that they could make these tapes sound any better (they are listenable) but it'd be nice to hear some of the songs in improved quality (I highly doubt they could but wouldnt it be nice). By the way what do you mean by "Child, Adult, Parent" is that an alternate title or something? Is there a longer version of the song "Yeahhh", mine only goes for 32 seconds
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:04:27 PM »

It's actually a good tape. Brian never sounded so passonate again except for some of the Paley tapes.

What songs from the Paley tapes do you reckon he matches this passion in (or atleast shows a lot of passion)??
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 02:07:31 AM »

6. Mike, Mike, Mike

EEEwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !!! Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 03:29:39 AM »

Hamburger?

Do you mean this one?

1. (Talking)
2. California Girls
4. My Solution
6. Mike, Mike, Mike
7. Bonanza Theme
9. I Don't Want To Die
10. Take My Breath Away
12. (Talking)

Who came up with that fake track listing in the first place?
XY
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 03:55:39 AM »

Andrew G. Dow
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 05:03:14 AM »

Hamburger?

Do you mean this one?

1. (Talking)
2. California Girls
4. My Solution
6. Mike, Mike, Mike
7. Bonanza Theme
9. I Don't Want To Die
10. Take My Breath Away
12. (Talking)

I've understood as well that these Hamburger sessions never occured at all. Although I'd love to be corrected on this... Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 07:13:42 AM »

On the Paley tapes I think Gettin In Over My Head is the closest he ever  came after 1974 to sounding like he did in his 20s and early 30s. Stunning because he hadn't sounded like that in 20 years and never did again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 10:58:32 AM »

wasn't Night Bloomin' Jasmine from the cocaine sessions?
perhaps that demo on the re-release of BW 88 is from that.

What song is being played on the A&E docu when they're talkin about these sessions? it's a piano demo of some sort

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 11:04:42 AM »

Night Bloomin is from around the same time. Very good song. The offical release says 1979 but I think it's probably from 81. The only piano demo I remember from the A&E special is Little Child. It's Brian at his temporary home in Holland in 1972. Some think it's really Al but I am fairly sure it's Brian.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 02:24:25 PM »

There was a Dennis Wilson myspace blog that talked a little about the Cocaine/Hamburger sessions. Isn't that where Dennis would bribe Brian by giving him a burger or cocaine for every song he'd write? I thought these were more like 1980-1982 era.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 05:04:37 PM »

There was a Dennis Wilson myspace blog that talked a little about the Cocaine/Hamburger sessions. Isn't that where Dennis would bribe Brian by giving him a burger or cocaine for every song he'd write? I thought these were more like 1980-1982 era.

Yeh ive always read that Dennis would give him hamburgers/cocaine or whatever (though I dont necessarily believe it) but I dont find that to be essential information, I am just curious of which sessions featured both Dennis and Brian and which only featured Brian and any other people during these 'cocaine sessions'?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 08:15:57 PM »

watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOHyKKXbqAo   and you'll hear what i'm talkin about

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 11:51:53 PM »

The terminology seems to have changed over the years - originally, the 'hamburger sessions' referred to the 1976-77 1st Landy era, specifically referring to the big 1976 feature when bodyguard Scott Steinburg told David Felton "if he sings good I'll give him a hamburger". The early 1980s DW/BW sessions were the 'cocaine sessions' as Denny usually arrived with copious supplies of same. These days both terms usually refer to the later sessions.

Lecture ends. You can wake up now.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 01:50:33 AM »

Hamburger?

Do you mean this one?

1. (Talking)
2. California Girls
4. My Solution
6. Mike, Mike, Mike
7. Bonanza Theme
9. I Don't Want To Die
10. Take My Breath Away
12. (Talking)

I've understood as well that these Hamburger sessions never occured at all. Although I'd love to be corrected on this... Grin

No, you are completely correct.  The entire thing is a hoax.  Now let us never speak of it again.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 07:39:53 AM »

what?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 07:46:07 AM »

But were there any hamburgers present at the cocaine sessions? I bet Brian had one in his dressing gown pocket?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 10:30:30 AM »

Actually, thinking about it. Why would Dennis have to give Brian a hamburger? Didn't Brian have money and could get one whenever he wanted? That's kind of funny when you think about it. Especially if it worked.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 11:15:07 AM »

I used to lose my appetite when I would indulge...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 10:57:19 PM »

in the early 80s, when BW was with Carol(ine?)...(that nurse)....he didnt have that much money at all...

also, if you take the first BB tv movie seriously...there's a scene of the hamburger sessions

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 09:04:45 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QhxGEXMsDA

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx