gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:51:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's last live peformance  (Read 7468 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:01:24 PM »

What was Carl Wilson's last ever performance? And is there tapes of this concert somewhere and if so is it any good? Also does anyone know when the Like A Brother album was recorded? Thanks
MBE
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:50:05 PM »

Go to Eric's setlist archive page that will tell you. I have heard a little from the last year but not sure if it is from his very last show. He sounded good considering his health. Like a Brother was recorded  about 1994 or so.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 09:01:02 PM »

Go to Eric's setlist archive page that will tell you. I have heard a little from the last year but not sure if it is from his very last show. He sounded good considering his health. Like a Brother was recorded  about 1994 or so.

Thanks for the answer, I cant believe Like A Brother was recorded that long ago, that really amazes me. Yeah I was just wondering about Carl's last live performance, because Ive got tapes of him from '97 and just wasnt sure if it was his last performance (I checked Eric's page) and according to him the song Ive got is from Carl's last performance (or atleast one of the last performances) Thanks again Smiley
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:09:09 PM by mikeyj » Logged
MBE
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »

Hey no problem, always glad to help.  I want to  thank Eric myself because he does a terrific job.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 10:57:01 PM »

I want to  thank Eric myself because he does a terrific job.

Couldn't agree more. The whole Beach Boys society (or whatever you want to call it) is fantastic, always helping each other out and especially all the people who go to that extra effort to help fellow fans out, ie: Eric's site, AGD's site and all the other sites (the album covers one etc... etc..)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »

Without looking at the archive, just off the top of my head, I think it was on or around August 27, 1997.  It was definitely 20-something.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »

Without looking at the archive, just off the top of my head, I think it was on or around August 27, 1997.  It was definitely 20-something.

Do you own this tape Eric? Also Eric, do you know what concert Jon Stebbins (assuming youve read "The Real Beach Boy") was describing when he was talking about a concert where Brian tried to imitate Mike due to Mike's absence (some TM-related thing). Cheer Eric, and thanks for all the work on your site.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 12:37:54 AM »

No, I don't have this on tape.  Atlantic City, I believe, was the venue.

I haven't read "The Real Beach Boy" yet...hope to get a copy when it comes out...
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 12:49:03 AM »

No, I don't have this on tape.  Atlantic City, I believe, was the venue.

I haven't read "The Real Beach Boy" yet...hope to get a copy when it comes out...

I'm not 100% sure if its that concert (August 27) but I can send you a track from that concert if you want (ive only got the one track from the concert - "God Only Knows")
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 02:05:53 AM »

The date of Carl's last show, like the date of Denny's, is one of those strangely gray areas in BB history. On my timeline, I've got it down as 8/29/97 in Atlantic City,  NJ, based on eye-witness testimony, but so many people have said an earlier date that  it makes you wonder.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 07:09:34 AM »

The show Jon was talking about was Brian in 1970 replacing Mike on a three day late winter tour. The sound quality isn't great but Brian is still (imho) in his prime giving a fine performance.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 06:33:32 PM »

It isn't any earlier than 8/29/97, because Carl performed at the show in the Woodlands that I was originally going to go to.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »

Carl's last show was definitely during the Atlantic City run in late August of 1997.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 11:34:36 PM »

he sounds so good on that 1997 "God Only Knows"... hard to believe he was already pretty sick.

http://uploaded.to/?id=19t7a3
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 01:53:07 AM »

The date of Carl's last show, like the date of Denny's, is one of those strangely gray areas in BB history. On my timeline, I've got it down as 8/29/97 in Atlantic City,  NJ, based on eye-witness testimony, but so many people have said an earlier date that  it makes you wonder.

Believe Dennis's was July 04, 1983, no?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 03:24:25 AM »

I was looking at some old e-mails that discussed individual Beach Boys' final performances with the touring band...here's what we came up with (these may be wrong):

Dennis Wilson: 9/26/83 (Pomona, CA, I think)
Brian Wilson: 6/14/96 (Nashville, TN)
Carl Wilson: 8/27/97 (Atlantic City) or 8/29/97 (that's new to me, but definitely possible!)
Al Jardine: 5/9/98 (Detroit, MI private show)
Dave Marks: 7/4/99 (Kelseyville, CA)...last appearance as official member...he did make guest appearances in subsequent years...the most recent one I know about is 12/8/05 in Wallingford, CT

Glen Campbell appeared as recently as 12/7/05...not sure what his last show was as an official band member.

Ricky Fataar stayed until December of 1974, I think...does anyone know his last date?

Blondie Chaplin stayed until December of 1973...I'm not sure where I remember reading this...

Any corrections are very welcome...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:51:11 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 04:01:31 AM »

the Keith Badman-book mentions last performances from both Blondie and Ricky. December is correct, but can't remember the exact date now. I could look that up when I'm home, but if someone beats me to it, no problem.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 04:10:10 AM »

Glen Campbell appeared as recently as 12/7/05

With the Mike&Bruce-show? Are there recordings from that concert?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 06:17:03 AM »

I was looking at some old e-mails that discussed individual Beach Boys' final performances with the touring band...here's what we came up with (these may be wrong):

Dennis Wilson: 9/26/83 (Pomona, CA, I think)
Brian Wilson: 6/14/96 (Nashville, TN)
Carl Wilson: 8/27/97 (Atlantic City) or 8/29/97 (that's new to me, but definitely possible!)
Al Jardine: 5/9/98 (Detroit, MI private show)
Dave Marks: 7/4/99 (Kelseyville, CA)...last appearance as official member...he did make guest appearances in subsequent years...the most recent one I know about is 12/8/05 in Wallingford, CT

Glen Campbell appeared as recently as 12/7/05...not sure what his last show was as an official band member.

Ricky Fataar stayed until December of 1974, I think...does anyone know his last date?

Blondie Chaplin stayed until December of 1973...I'm not sure where I remember reading this...

Any corrections are very welcome...

The DW date was when he was last on stage with the band, playing one song during the encore - his last full show was some weeks earlier, I forget where. Paging Jon Stebbins !

David's last show with the 'real' BB was 10/5/63, San Diego.

Brian's last gig with the band was 9/8/96, Navy Pier, Chicago.

Blondie quit after the 12/19/73 show at Madison Square Garden. Ricky left spring 1975-ish.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:11 AM »

Glen Campbell appeared as recently as 12/7/05

With the Mike&Bruce-show? Are there recordings from that concert?

A picture of the show was on the Beach Boys Band site, but now it's not there.  Undecided

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »

Blondie quit after the 12/19/73 show at Madison Square Garden. Ricky left spring 1975-ish.

Just checked Badman's book: page 342. If Badman is correct on this, Ricky's last concert appearance was on Dec. 18th 1974 (Warner Theater Fresno, CA). The day after he apparently wasn't part of the group anymore.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 11:54:32 AM »

The DW date was when he was last on stage with the band, playing one song during the encore - his last full show was some weeks earlier, I forget where. Paging Jon Stebbins !

David's last show with the 'real' BB was 10/5/63, San Diego.

Brian's last gig with the band was 9/8/96, Navy Pier, Chicago.

Thanks!!  I didn't know that Brian did more shows after Fan Fair...good to know.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 12:23:48 PM »

he sounds so good on that 1997 "God Only Knows"... hard to believe he was already pretty sick.

http://uploaded.to/?id=19t7a3

Thanks for the upload, bossaroo. You're right, that's one of the best versions of "God Only Knows" I've ever heard...
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 07:01:59 PM »

And that intro by Mike Love is one of the few moments of genuine sincerety I've ever heard from him on stage... in his own Mike Love kind of way...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 04:29:20 PM »

The GOK version uploaded by Bosaroo earlier in this thread is actually from either August 3 or 4 '97 at the Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion just outside Los Angeles.  I know because I was at that show, last time I saw the Boys.  I recognize it only due to Carl's intro of his doctors who were there that night at the show. Carl was treating in LA at the time. I saw and spoke very briefly with Carl that night before the show and can confirm he was in very bad shape. He sat through the entire concert except for the opening Calif. Girls  and God Only Knows. Thanks for the upload, it brought back memories.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx