gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:20:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again  (Read 191518 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1125 on: June 08, 2013, 12:10:53 AM »

Dennis is a great "what if" in a sense. Obviously what if he didn't die so young, but what if his voice hadn't been ravaged by his own abuse and take a punch to the throat and also a savage beating. I think he was at his vocal peak from 1968-71 and it would have been great to hear the voice of Sound of Free singing POB. And what if he had either been able to stay focused on his own or kept people like Darryl Dragon or Gregg Jakobson to help keep him focused and bring the best out of him.

But while Dennis is far from a TOTAL "what if." He left behind some truly great music. He certainly was his own distinct presence from Brian, but you can't tell me that the guy who did THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSiIHHOPULg

didn't learn a ton from his big brother.

No-one disputes Dennis learned a ton from Brian, including Dennis himself (not now obviously). But then, hey, didn't Brian learn a ton from Phil Spector, Four Freshman, etc. The difference is Brian surpassed his heroes whereas, well, how do you surpass Good Vibrations or Pet Sounds? However, Dennis certainly came a hell of a lot closer to doing so than most. River Song, Moonshine, Thoughts Of You... These are truly stunning pieces of work.
MBE
« Reply #1126 on: June 08, 2013, 12:12:25 AM »

Dennis is a great "what if" in a sense. Obviously what if he didn't die so young, but what if his voice hadn't been ravaged by his own abuse and take a punch to the throat and also a savage beating. I think he was at his vocal peak from 1968-71 and it would have been great to hear the voice of Sound of Free singing POB. And what if he had either been able to stay focused on his own or kept people like Darryl Dragon or Gregg Jakobson to help keep him focused and bring the best out of him.

But while Dennis is far from a TOTAL "what if." He left behind some truly great music. He certainly was his own distinct presence from Brian, but you can't tell me that the guy who did THIS

Perfect post. I love all of Dennis' work, but his voice through 1973 has something very special to it. Dennis was his own man, but Brian taught him some fantastic things.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:29:36 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 08, 2013, 03:35:38 AM »

I wasn’t drawn to the Beach Boys, nor do i like them to this day, because of a “sweet” and “smooth” sound. It was/is because they’re so damn odd and unconventional in more ways than one. They’re truly one of a kind. I love all the paradoxes in their music. The arrangements, productions and vocal harmonies are dense and powerful. The counterpoint is often jaw-dropping. Everything comes together in such satisfying and amazing ways. 
Affirmative nod.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 08, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »

He certainly was his own distinct presence from Brian, but you can't tell me that the guy who did THIS

That's pretty much all Van McCoy, though, right?
No, not all. Van McCoy did the very cool string arrangement, that's it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 08, 2013, 11:59:52 PM »

I wasn’t drawn to the Beach Boys, nor do i like them to this day, because of a “sweet” and “smooth” sound. It was/is because they’re so damn odd and unconventional in more ways than one. They’re truly one of a kind. I love all the paradoxes in their music. The arrangements, productions and vocal harmonies are dense and powerful. The counterpoint is often jaw-dropping. Everything comes together in such satisfying and amazing ways. 
Affirmative nod.

Cartwheels.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 09, 2013, 12:11:50 AM »

He certainly was his own distinct presence from Brian, but you can't tell me that the guy who did THIS

My point was that McCoy's arrangements -- which I would have to assume include the horns as well, no? -- are what give that instrumental track much of its flavor. Those are clearly Dennis's chords underneath, but it's hardly something he did in a studio on his own. (As opposed to some of his later stuff, which he did pretty much play all the instruments on.)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1131 on: June 09, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »

My point was that McCoy's arrangements -- which I would have to assume include the horns as well, no? -- are what give that instrumental track much of its flavor. Those are clearly Dennis's chords underneath, but it's hardly something he did in a studio on his own. (As opposed to some of his later stuff, which he did pretty much play all the instruments on.)

So what? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain Brian didn't play all the instruments on Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations, etc. I'm sure I read somewhere that he had a bit of help with the clarinets, horns, trombones, etc. I could be wrong.

It seems that now - as then - some people just really have a hard time being convinced of Dennis' musical talents.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 09, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »

McCoy scored the strings on Be With Me, that was it. Dennis usually played string suggestions on the piano (or sang) his ideas for string lines to whomever was arranging/scoring the string orchestrations on his productions. Daryl Dragon is very adamant  about this in his interviews, that the string melodies were usually Dennis' own musical ideas, and BTW Jimmie Haskell did some of the string scoring job for Dennis on the Pacific Ocean Blue era material. I think Be With Me falls into the same routine that the subsequent stuff did, Dennis had a feel for what he wanted and did his best to translate that to his arranger, not having the ability to actually score charts for a string section on his own.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 11, 2013, 10:31:34 AM »

I expect to make more deals in August since WIBNTLA won't be on MIC.

Pity that isn't going to work out for you. I suspect even the resell value of the CD you bought containing this track has deflated considerably.  Cry
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1134 on: June 11, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »

I'll light a candle for him.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 11, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »

i'll blow out it.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 11, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »

I'll relight it....then blow it out.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »

k, gag's gotten old already.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 11, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »

I'm just gonna keep doin' the happy dance because WIBNTLA is being released!

Happy Dance
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »

McCoy scored the strings on Be With Me, that was it. Dennis usually played string suggestions on the piano (or sang) his ideas for string lines to whomever was arranging/scoring the string orchestrations on his productions. Daryl Dragon is very adamant  about this in his interviews, that the string melodies were usually Dennis' own musical ideas, and BTW Jimmie Haskell did some of the string scoring job for Dennis on the Pacific Ocean Blue era material. I think Be With Me falls into the same routine that the subsequent stuff did, Dennis had a feel for what he wanted and did his best to translate that to his arranger, not having the ability to actually score charts for a string section on his own.

There' a great Bruce quote about the 20/20 string arrangements. I can't remember exactly, but the gist was that he and Dennis "talked those arrangements into his [McCoy's] head."
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 11, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »

Hahahahaha
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »

Okay so are you going to release this now please? I've been waiting a long time to hear this track, and it's being released in about 2 months, so why not at least help us all out?

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 11, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »

That does raise an interesting question. Is bb_fr's version of WIBNTLA different from what will be released on MIC? Any way to compare track lengths, for instance??  Smokin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 11, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »

That does raise an interesting question. Is bb_fr's version of WIBNTLA different from what will be released on MIC? Any way to compare track lengths, for instance??  Smokin

I think he already stated it was 4:33
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 11, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »

JOHN CAGE? Dennis' best song is a cover of silence? Shocked

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »

JOHN CAGE? Dennis' best song is a cover of silence? Shocked

Hehe! LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1146 on: June 13, 2013, 08:16:14 AM »

That does raise an interesting question. Is bb_fr's version of WIBNTLA different from what will be released on MIC?

I'd bet very heavily against that. VERY heavily.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1147 on: June 13, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »

That does raise an interesting question. Is bb_fr's version of WIBNTLA different from what will be released on MIC?

I reckon the guy doesn't even have WIBNTLA. Honestly, he's an attention seeker seeking attention. He don't got it, folks.
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:39 AM »

You think it will be different or not? To me, the ideal version should end at 2:30. The "jam section" don't add nothing to the song... What will be interesting too is the quality of the sound. Don't forget that "my" version is not final... And last thing, the missing guitar part... I doubt it will be added on the MIC version but...
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 14, 2013, 01:21:24 AM »

STFUA!!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx