gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 11:47:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kool Keith vs. Dr.Octogon!!  (Read 3735 times)
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2006, 04:54:53 PM »

Alright, y`all,  I dunno how many of you dig rap, let alone, old school/obsure rap... but hey if you can dig, I wanna hear what you have to say...

xoxoxo
suga
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:56:10 PM »

I'm a Black Elvis man, myself.
Chris D., it's all yours, buddy.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 04:58:32 PM »

Dr. Dooom!  And Keith.  I find Dr. Octagon is really overrated.  It's a good album, but I think Automator's style is too clean for Keith and works better on Deltron 3000 and Gorillaz.  Keith, as himself, is best on Sex Style.  I think that, the Dr. Dooom album, and Lost in Space/Black Elvis are his best albums.  Dr. Octagon just doesn't represent Keith the way I like him.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:56:24 PM »

Man Kool Keith is off da hook!  That fella's crazy.  I've been into that cat ever since the days of the Ultramagnetic MCs "Critical Beatdown", and just heard him pop up again in a single by Awol ONE "Know Your Enemy" (truly a fantastic collaboration produced  by the immortal Daddy Kev.)

If any of you are down to investigate more of the underground hip-hop scene, check out these artists:

http://www.myspace.com/daddykev

http://www.myspace.com/awolone

http://www.myspace.com/abstractrude

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Peter Tomatz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:23:49 AM »

I loved Dr. Octagon a lot when it came out, but it hasn't aged as well as some of Kool Keith's other work. I get pretty bored when I try to listen to it these days. I'd agree the Dr. Dooom record is one of his better efforts, but I've never been able to get into Lost In Space/Black Elvis and to contradict Chris D. further I'd say that Matthew is the last GREAT Kool Keith record I've been able to hear.

Jason, since you've been following Kool Keith since Critical Beatdown, do you have a copy of the album the Ultramagnetic MCs did on Wild Pitch, The Four Horsemen? I've only been able to hear that record a little bit, but it sounded awesome.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 10:14:41 AM »

I loved Dr. Octagon a lot when it came out, but it hasn't aged as well as some of Kool Keith's other work. I get pretty bored when I try to listen to it these days. I'd agree the Dr. Dooom record is one of his better efforts, but I've never been able to get into Lost In Space/Black Elvis and to contradict Chris D. further I'd say that Matthew is the last GREAT Kool Keith record I've been able to hear.

Jason, since you've been following Kool Keith since Critical Beatdown, do you have a copy of the album the Ultramagnetic MCs did on Wild Pitch, The Four Horsemen? I've only been able to hear that record a little bit, but it sounded awesome.

No, sorry, I don't have that one.  I'm sure it's great though...

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »

cant believe theres a Kool Keith thread in a BB's forum - i never wouldve thought!

That being said, i never really got into the Dr Octagon albums. they just didnt do much for me.

I loved Dr Dooom (1&2) and Black Elvis, but i still really enjoy Spankmaster.
Also Lost Masters 1-3 and The Personal Album are worth mentioning aswell

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx