gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:19:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's voice  (Read 6608 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:10:10 AM »

Sorry if that has been discussed before but how many octaves had Brian's voice at it's best time? I heard something about 4.... ?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:11:12 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 09:44:12 AM »

That's probably about right.  He could cover every vocal part (even bass) and his falsetto could get at least up to the high F in Surf's up, so I'd imagine his range was pretty wide.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »

Yeah, he had a great voice. Thanks for your reply.
If anybody got more info, go ahead and post it...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 07:27:24 PM »

brian's highest...warmth of the sun, girls on the beach, dont talk(lead), surfs up

brian's lowest...Pet sounds (demo's) his bass guide vox on Dont talk resonates in my gut!!!!!
MBE
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »

The Break Away demo has him doing about 3-4 different parts. It isn't polished as his finished recordings of the time but it gives you a good idea of his range.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:03:08 PM by MBE » Logged
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 07:00:40 PM »

Can anyone here actually hit that high F in Surf's Up (columnated ruins d"OMINO")?

I'm proud to say, that I can.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 08:38:21 PM »

Can anyone here actually hit that high F in Surf's Up (columnated ruins d"OMINO")?

I can hit it...doesn't sound as good as Brian though!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 10:12:28 PM »

I can hit it. I think it is as good as Brian, but not as good as Carl.

I can hit it...doesn't sound as good as Brian though!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 11:25:32 AM »

I'm proud to say that I can hit that note too... When my voice is at its "best" (usually around 3 to 8 pm on a regular day), I can sing the "ghost harmony" (in the '71 Surf's Up, at the second "columnated..."). Hell, I can even sing the last "for meeee" of the "opera section" of Bohemian Rhapsody! (not for long though...!)

I'm really proud of my vocal range... I can sing Mike-esque bass vocals as easily as some of Brian's or Carl's most difficult high-pitched parts!  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:36:50 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »

Yes.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 12:53:31 PM »

I can hit Brian's part of that in the '66 piano demo, but barely.
Carl's is somehow tougher. It's so effortless. It's way easier to sing the high part of "canvas the town and brush the back DROP. Are you sleeping, brother JOOOHNN?"

I've also noticed I can hit Brian's falsettos easier than, say, Smokey Robinson.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »

I'm jealous!  Whenever I try to reach it, my voice literally just cuts out.  I mean it--NOTHING comes out!

Glenn
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 08:49:05 PM »

My experience is the same. I'm an alto, and I can't voice that note either. I struggle with the high D on a good day.  Roll Eyes
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 01:32:40 AM »

I can't sing for crap.  Embarrassed

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 09:22:03 AM »

Does anybody remember when Mr. Smajda used to frequent the board and he said he could hit an octave above that note?  I always thought that was ridiculous...

As for me, I can KIND of hit that note, but it sounds like crap.  Not like that stops me from singing it though.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 06:30:51 PM »

I can hit it, but stand the hell back.  It's gonna hurt.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 06:37:01 PM »

Brian's falsetto was flawless.  There might be people who can technically sing the note, but not with the same tone and impact.  See Frankie Valli or (Dare I say it...) Jeff Foskett.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »

Brian's falsetto was flawless.  There might be people who can technically sing the note, but not with the same tone and impact.  See Frankie Valli or (Dare I say it...) Jeff Foskett.

That's exactly my problem...I can hit it, and it doesn't sound half bad.  But Brian hit it so effortlessly, and it sounded so good that it makes most other attempts sound worse by comparison. 
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 10:03:02 PM »

Somewhere in the Pet SOunds booklet that came with the box set, one of the studio musicians, or somebody said that Brians' voice was not falsetto but rather like something better, more natural than a typical falsetto. I am going to research the book and see if I can find the exact quotation. IMO he had the best singing voice in the whole rock/pop genre.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 11:58:29 PM »

I can hit it most of the time

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 09:26:01 AM »

Somewhere in the Pet SOunds booklet that came with the box set, one of the studio musicians, or somebody said that Brians' voice was not falsetto but rather like something better, more natural than a typical falsetto. I am going to research the book and see if I can find the exact quotation. IMO he had the best singing voice in the whole rock/pop genre.

Headtone. However, when he hits a high note now, it actually is falsetto.

I can too. My voice has gotten a lot better in the 2 1/2 months since I quit smoking; I actually sing higher now then I did when I was in high school choir 10 years ago; I was a baritone, and now sing in a high tenor with my "full" voice.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 09:37:51 AM »

I know, but try to think abstractly here...I paraphrased, but what the guy was saying was that hearing it was like something better, stronger than falsetto.....
injasonbow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:38 AM »

Click here for my performance of Surf's Up on the New Friday Project

i was a bit coldy but i just about managed it.. i do really fucking hate the sound of my own voice though
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »

I read somewhere that Carl was woried about singing that high part in 1970. He really wanted Brian to sing it, but Brian told Carl to sing it. Carl didn't think he could do it. I think it sounds better then Brian.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »

Click here for my performance of Surf's Up on the New Friday Project

i was a bit coldy but i just about managed it.. i do really fodaing hate the sound of my own voice though

That's an excellent performance.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx