gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:30:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's Relationship with Mike Al and Bruce  (Read 7255 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 05:36:12 AM »

he walked out on two friends of mine in the middle of an interview when they said they liked the 'Love You' album.

THAT'S what I was trying to remember (besides the AOL chat). I've heard that story several times...didn't know it was you, although it wouldn't surprise me if it also happened to someone else,too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 11:33:15 AM »

Bruce is my least favorite too, though I like his Sunflower and Surf's Up stuff.

I can give you a few more examples of how uneven his personality is. I requested an interview with him and he wanted to be paid for it. Now in my eyes a paid interview taints the process in some ways, so I declined. He did answer a few questions on the UK board for me nicely. However, when I suggested he would sound good singing the song Daydream Believer because of his vocal style he was a but rude about it. He dismissed the song untill some others took hhim to task on it whereas he backed off a little. So I just see him as somebody kind of stuck on himself, but who eems like he can be ok if he wants to be.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 11:55:12 AM »

Bruce Johnston seems to me like a participating observer. I certainly do enjoy his sometimes insightful comments on the group, yet his dismissal of the Love You record (why?) and (of all things, considering him touring with Mike) Do It Again remain a complete mystery to me.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 12:42:09 PM »

I've never met the man, but just on a basic creative and psychological level, touring full-time with a band in which you hardly ever sing anymore (apparently), nor are you playing audible keyboards, basically says that not only is it just a job to him, but it's a job he's not that interested in anymore except that it's easy and that it pays well.  Contrast that to the early '70s when he was an integral part of the band on bass and organ.  The guy is a really good musician -- I've heard his keyboard skills praised as first rate by many people, and even when he's miming someone else's bass part, I've noticed he still meticulously plays the right notes -- so if he felt like it and wanted to challenge himself, he could probably step in there and really contribute even his voice isn't what it used to be.  His musicianship is probably on a level with much of the backup band.

I'm not saying that he should, or that it's even desired or that I blame him.  I am saying is that it's something that doesn't interest him that much, and that he's probably not that interested in challenging himself.  On a basic human level, that concerns me a little.  I wouldn't want that gig, myself.  I'd get very, very bored with it, and to keep doing something year after year without really contributing all that much or using your talent does carry with it some other implications about your personality, goals and approach to living.  If it was me I wouldn't consider it healthy, personally, but then again I'm not him.

I'm not judging, just making an observation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:47:03 PM by adamghost » Logged
Wilsonista
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 12:55:37 PM »

Bruce is my least favorite too, though I like his Sunflower and Surf's Up stuff.

I can give you a few more examples of how uneven his personality is. I requested an interview with him and he wanted to be paid for it. Now in my eyes a paid interview taints the process in some ways, so I declined. He did answer a few questions on the UK board for me nicely. However, when I suggested he would sound good singing the song Daydream Believer because of his vocal style he was a but rude about it. He dismissed the song untill some others took hhim to task on it whereas he backed off a little. So I just see him as somebody kind of stuck on himself, but who eems like he can be ok if he wants to be.

I was one of the ones who took him to task on that thread.  I even asked him if he told Davy Jones that Daydream Believer sucked!
Spiller
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:28 PM »

Bruce always struck me as a happy-go-lucky kind of guy though there is obviously this other side to his personality that is a little unpleasant. I've never been too keen on his creative contributions to The Beach Boys either (The Nearest Faraway Place, uhhhh). And he's definitely gone down in my estimation after knocking 'Love You'!

I need a mess of help to write a post.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know what Bruce's problem was with Curt Boettcher?  I must've asked him three or four times about his musical relationship with Curt and he always blew off the question, whereas Bruce was always very genial in answering all of my other stupid queries.  I'm always looking for more insight into Curt's music from people that knew him, and I think the song he and Bruce recorded together is fantastic.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know what Bruce's problem was with Curt Boettcher?  I must've asked him three or four times about his musical relationship with Curt and he always blew off the question, whereas Bruce was always very genial in answering all of my other stupid queries.  I'm always looking for more insight into Curt's music from people that knew him, and I think the song he and Bruce recorded together is fantastic.

Yeah, I don't know...I've seen a quote from Curt where he said he mixed about half of the "L.A. (Light Album)", but when I asked Bruce about it recently, he replied that Curt mixed NONE of it aside from "HCTN".  Bruce almost sounded aggravated.  Who knows.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 05:43:27 PM »

Bruce Johnston seems to me like a participating observer. I certainly do enjoy his sometimes insightful comments on the group, yet his dismissal of the Love You record (why?) and (of all things, considering him touring with Mike) Do It Again remain a complete mystery to me.

Judging from some interviews I've read, I think his problem with "Love You" is twofold:  one, Bruce considers the whole "Brian's Back" campaign a manipulative ripoff (so do most of us, but we love the record anyway).  I'm getting from his interviews that he feels Brian was being taken advantage of, and that the therapy which should've been private was being done in public.  And two, he doesn't like the dry synthesized sound of that record...he's quoted as saying things like "the old analog synths really sucked all the air out of Brian's productions".  He's also referred to Brian's life in the sixties as being his "real life", so he obviously considers the Landy-manipulated childish Brian of the "Love You" era to be a sad shadow of the "real" Brian whose music he loves and respects.

I didn't know Bruce had a problem with "Do It Again", but I'm guessing it might be the same problem that David Leaf has alluded to having with it:  it's a total nostagia-fest, designed just to get a hit. 

But hey, I love both "Do It Again" and "Love You".  If I was a personal friend of Brian's though, who watched him in his glory days creating masterpieces like "Let Him Run Wild", "Pet Sounds", and "Good Vibrations", I might not think too highly of those two records either. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 05:59:38 PM »

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Bruce has been adversely affected by all of the crap that he's seen over the last 40+ years, and it's starting to show. We dwell a lot on the Wilsons and Mike Love, but Bruce was there for almost everything, too. He's experienced the deaths, the family battles, the lawsuits, the failed albums, the bad business deals, the bad publicity, etc. Bruce probably thinks it's all worth it because of the music (I personally don't think he's in it for the money), but when the music stops being fun, well...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »

Never met the guy but from what he has posted on various message boards he comes across ok but what does rub is the "glad to home for a few days, the roads so tiring" c-rap. Give me a break! Like anybody,if you don't like your job, quit or stop b!tching about it.
Think its cool he still surfs though Would Dennis still have been riding at 60?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 11:31:51 PM »

Before Bruce started to frequent the message boards, he seemed to be looking for a place to post opinions.  He posted a few messages on my guestbook on the Beach Boys Setlist Archive.  He seemed really nice and complimentary at the time.  Years later, I introduced myself as the guy who does the setlists, and he said, "Thanks for doing that."

Oddly enough, though, whenever I post anything on the BBB Board seeking a response from him, it seems that he purposely avoids answering my questions.  He'll answer other questions around mine, but totally ignore mine.  I just get the vibe that he has a negative impression of me.

When I get to go backstage nowadays, I don't really introduce myself.  Last year, he wanted to talk about cars and was very friendly, but he asked me some questions that I had no idea how to answer...when it came to the standard fan stuff, he obliged by autographing a picture, but had no interest after that.

At a baseball game, some friends and I were standing on the sidelines after a show waiting for a particular band member to come out and talk to us (we had gone to the pre-show party earlier and met Mike & Bruce).  Thinking we wanted to take up more of his time, he brushed past us and said bluntly, "We did this earlier", and kept walking.

On the other hand, I saw him come out before a concert to greet a fan in a wheelchair, and talked with him for a while.  So I would agree that he does seem to have two different ways of coming across to fans.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 11:58:55 PM »

I think Bruce's most pertinent comments have been (I paraphrase and conflate):

"You're in this way deeper than any of us [the band] are. To me it's just a business".

There are days when my job is fun, and worthwhile, and others when I'm clockwatching and would really be anywhere else. Difference is I don't have people asking me dumb questions about the minutae of something I did ten years ago, hanging around after work for autographs or taking pops at the way I work on public fora.

For the most part Bruce has been amiable and polite to me, both in public and in private communication, and often very amusing, but yeah, one or twice either he's been in a bad mood or I've said something dumb or too intrusive. Thing is, he's invariably apologised in very short order. I sense a feeling of frustration, especially with what's happened to Brian since 1976. As someone's said, he's been there since 1965: I can only imagine what horrors he's keeping quiet about.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007, 12:35:59 AM »

I was one of the ones who took him to task on that thread.  I even asked him if he told Davy Jones that Daydream Believer sucked!

Thanks RobMac I just always heard his voice singing that song. He did a fine job on With A Little Help From My Friends. He had a very "pop" sound so I thought it would be a good song for him. I know it's seems to be an odd choice but it was just a thought.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007, 01:02:52 AM »

"Would Dennis still have been riding at 60?"  The surf? Wink
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 01:06:27 AM by salman rushdie » Logged

Honk! Honk!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2007, 02:15:22 AM »

the more I read about Bruce, the more he scares me!! Evil

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2007, 07:42:11 PM »

"Would Dennis still have been riding at 60?"  The surf? Wink

AAAAHHAAAAA!!!! cute jonathan, real cute!!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx