Beach Boys - Live at the Paramount 11/93

(1/3) > >>

PS:
Hello folks,

I consider myself to have a fairly comprehensive knowledge (and collection) of Beach Boys and Brian "unofficial" material amassed over the years, and saw the Boys well over 20 times since my first concert at Carnegie Hall in the fall of 1971 (still the best, most exciting show and greatest overall performance for me). But I just bumped into this fantastic recording (online) from the Paramount (which Paramount?) dated 11/93 and it completely took me by surprise. It came with soundboard rehearsals and an immaculate soundboard recording (and a useless funky audience recording) of the concert. For me, this was one of the very best concerts I have ever heard them play, particularly toward the end of the career of the group as such. Carl was in supreme form, Al was not straining handling Brian's leads, Mike was fairly subdued and singing without pinching his nose, Bruce did a gorgeous Disney Girls, the intros were short and graceful, the playing was tight, the falsettos were covered beautifully (Foskett?), the setlist was fairly eclectic (Wonderful - w/o Bill - All This is That, Add Some Music, Hushabye, I Can Hear Music, Hawaii among a 40 song setlist). In short, I am prepared to say that this might be the very best live recording (in terms of both sound and performance) that I have ever heard them do - including the IN CONCERT record.

Can someone provide me some background on this concert - where were they exactly in terms of their touring career, who played that night, was it recorded for a possible release etc.? and whether I've been living under a rock by not being  heretofore aware of this recording for all these years (I don't recall seeing it mentioned on this board before... thrilling to hear something so good that I was completely unaware of. Is this show renown among collectors?

Thanks

PS

Sheriff John Stone:
I want it. Badly. Where can I get it?

humanoidboogie:
Is this the show where they perform 'Vegetables'? If so, it's awesome! I had no idea they sounded this good in 1993... And what a set list!

Don't Back Down:
Al's son, Matthew Jardine, provided the falsetto parts. Info can be found at Eric's site:

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/11-26-93.html

Yes they played the Smile version of Vegetables (with the "mama says" added in)

From the link above:

"Unbelievable!! The Beach Boys decided to add THIRTEEN songs to their normal 29-song setlist, without dropping any of the standard oldies, in an effort to promote the just-released "Good Vibrations" boxed set. This "unplugged" set was featured only on a few east coast dates (unfortunately). Quite a noble effort and proof that the Beach Boys still wanted to acknowledge the fact that they did make great music between "Good Vibrations" and "Rock and Roll Music." Wish I could've seen this one...

Drummer Liberty Devito substituted for Mike Kowalski for at least part of the show, if not all of it. Paul Shaffer came appeared on stage but did not perform."

Richie Cannata played Tenor Sax, Bari Sax, and percussion as part of the backup band.

PongHit:
Quote from: Sheriff John Stone on February 18, 2007, 11:00:59 AM

I want it. Badly. Where can I get it?

Me too...  Some kind soul had provided download links a while back, but I lost them in an external hardrive crash...  :'(

If I remember correctly, I think recordings exist from the rehearsals too...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page