gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:55:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "SMiLE" box set (what excatly are you looking for?)  (Read 4508 times)
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:27:56 PM »

The most requested item in Beach Boys' history is a box set containing the material from the SMiLE sessions. In terms of a box set, what exactly are we looking for? I've already got the SOT box set, the songs from the GV box set, the Brother records 3 LP set and the SOT vinyl (LP 001). That's a ton of SMiLE material, so what more is needed? I'm sure SMiLE fantatics own a ton of material like I do.

Is it just to have the old material released officially (which it was), or the retrospective bookelet? What could possibly be contained in a SMiLE box set that isn't avaiable already?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:42 PM »

Clean stereo mixes, I think would be the most appealing thing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 01:28:52 AM »

The Durie Parks acetates (and others); a bonus DVD with the complete footage shot by the team that filmed Brian performing Surf's Up in 67, as a bonus DVD, along with maybe Dennis Wilson's home movies from the era, if such exist; The Columbia vocal sessions; plus everything else that we already have gathered together under one roof, in crystal clear stereo.

“We live in divisive times.”
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 04:49:04 AM »

Is it just to have the old material released officially (which it was), or the retrospective bookelet? What could possibly be contained in a SMiLE box set that isn't avaiable already?

Bootlegs don't count. This stuff should be out officially.
SG7
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 07:05:16 AM »

I'd like to hear all the backing tracks in both mono and stereo. Also a cappella takes on all of them also (almost like the PS boxset).
Paul R.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:05:42 AM »

Josh 'H',
in your current position have you heard any Smile or Smile related tracks form the master tapes? Anything interesting to report? Are they any closer to rolling out the download website?
Thanks,
Paul
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »

I agree with all of the above suggestions, but the one thing that I would like to see - for the general listening public - is a well-crafted 80 minute CD comprised of the best (most mind-blowing?) takes of each song. It would be something you could buy at WalMart or through a record club; you know, just an affordable single CD you could pop in anytime...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:54:26 AM »

I would love to hear clean versions of the muddier tracks such as barnyard and CIFOTM.

To have all the Smile sessions, sounding great and neatly organised in one box would be perfect. I'd love one disc that was a playable 'album' in the same way that the Pet sounds mono mix was included in the PS box, but how to sequence that album - now that is a tricky one? BWPS as a template perhaps? You'd have to have Brian's input on this and I reckon he'd sequence tracks in the same way he did in 04. Seems logical to me.

Also, they'd have to include the original booklet, and of course use the Smile Shop artwork for the box cover.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 07:46:06 AM »

You'd have to have Brian's input on this

I fear that would be the biggest mountain to climb....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
XY
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 08:39:53 AM »

The Durie Parks acetates (and others); a bonus DVD with the complete footage shot by the team that filmed Brian performing Surf's Up in 67, as a bonus DVD, along with maybe Dennis Wilson's home movies from the era, if such exist; The Columbia vocal sessions; plus everything else that we already have gathered together under one roof, in crystal clear stereo.

All that plus the best of Brian's home video tapes and his May 1967 test mix of the complete album (I know it exists somewhere, believe me). Cheesy
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 03:44:28 PM »

If it's a boxed set, I want it all.  All the sessions.  All the anciliary projects (monologues ala "Smog," comedy bits, Jasper Dailey tapes, sound experiments).  Maybe a multi-volume set.  Plus, bonus DVD(s) of Leonard Bernstein and all the other film shot in that period.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 07:24:11 PM »

So many of the sessions are missing that it's now impossible to release a "complete sessions" set - in fact, some of the bootlegged stuff is missing from the archive (one I remember is the Heroes "mixing" session with the Mike/Brian shared vocal, on SOT, and apparently there are others) so to release everything they would have to dupe some stuff off of bootlegs.  I'd rather keep that stuff on the boots and have them only release the more completed stuff they have.

I'd like to hear instrumental versions of all the tracks they have, including Carl's Tones and Dennis's I don't Know, in stereo when possible and also in mono where they have Brian mono mixes made at the time (like the Child mono mix, Fire), then whatever vocal versions are in the vaults, with some vocal only versions where there are enough vocals to make that feasible (you don't want 45 and 60 seconds of silence in a vocal only version!).  Include all the Brian mono mixes like Wonderful, Old Master Painter, Worms, and put together Brian mono mixes of vocal versions of Cabinessence and Child and Vegetables from the sections he mixed but never edited together.

Throw in whatever acetates they can find and I'd be one happy camper.  You'd end up with probably a 3 CD set which would be more than adequate.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx