gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:47:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "I think I've been f*cked"  (Read 23568 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2007, 09:41:03 PM »

Question:

What songs were on the infamous demo (for what later became LA Light) that caused Walter Yetnikoff to  make that famous statement? According to the P A Carlin book and others, Brian was producing, and shortly after that comment was made, he called Bruce back into the fold. What was on that tape? I know "Looking Down the Coast" and "Calendar Girl"  (and possibly "Santa Ana Winds")were on it; what else was there?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:24:40 PM »

Well, two of those songs would'be improved it considerably.  Instead, we all got f***ed with Here Comes the Night!

Honk! Honk!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 02:22:43 AM »

Well I'm not sure how much Bruce had a hand in production-wise with "California Feeling", but that was finished up at this time.  It's hard to believe Yetnikoff would have had a problem with that track, though, and personally I think Al's songs from that era are some of the best he ever did. 

So I'm thinking the stuff that pissed old Walter off would have been more among these lines:

Calander Girl
It Could Be Anything
I'm Begging You Please
Why Didn't You Tell Me?
Skatetown USA
A Little Something

Enough to piss any Beach Boys fan off, really.   Afro

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 04:35:19 AM »

Wow.  Imagine these along with Here Comes the Night.  What an album.   Tongue
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 04:37:02 AM »

If only they'd submitted stuff more regularly to Walter!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 04:59:23 AM »

Well I'm not sure how much Bruce had a hand in production-wise with "California Feeling", but that was finished up at this time.  It's hard to believe Yetnikoff would have had a problem with that track, though, and personally I think Al's songs from that era are some of the best he ever did. 

So I'm thinking the stuff that pissed old Walter off would have been more among these lines:

Calander Girl
It Could Be Anything
I'm Begging You Please
Why Didn't You Tell Me?
Skatetown USA
A Little Something

Enough to piss any Beach Boys fan off, really.   Afro

"It Could Be Anything" escapes my memory...what was that?
Also, Ed Carter did an interview with the BBFUN newletter around that time where he described something Brian had been working on down in Miami.  He described it as "Pet Sounds"-like, with specially-tuned guitars and pianos that made it sound like a carnival, plus it had some Ray Bradbury-esque spoken word elements to it.  When I checked this with Ed Roach on his message board, he agreed that the description fit the amazing stuff he remembers hearing down there from Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 08:08:07 AM »

Not "SkateTown" - that wasn't recorded by June/July 1978, when Walter made his wonderful quote, nor "California Feeling" (tape date is 8/28/78).

I'm thinking:
Calendar Girl
Santa Ana Winds
Brian's Back
Shortenin' Bread (1973 track & bvs)

... and if they played him "Rubles", I'm surprised he didn't tear up the contract on the spot. It's like "Wrinkles", only about a horse. Remember, he'd just promised them $8.5 MILLION.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 08:23:27 AM »

LOL @ the title of this thread. You'd think it could be titled a bit more appropriately.  Smokin

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:57:22 AM »

"It Could Be Anything" escapes my memory...what was that?
Also, Ed Carter did an interview with the BBFUN newletter around that time where he described something Brian had been working on down in Miami.  He described it as "Pet Sounds"-like, with specially-tuned guitars and pianos that made it sound like a carnival, plus it had some Ray Bradbury-esque spoken word elements to it.  When I checked this with Ed Roach on his message board, he agreed that the description fit the amazing stuff he remembers hearing down there from Brian.

Being a fan of the Beach Boys might well be one of the most downright frustrating things in the world.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 10:16:18 AM »

LOL @ the title of this thread. You'd think it could be titled a bit more appropriately.  Smokin

LOL Yeah,probably. Of course, it was from a famous quote! LOL

ot "SkateTown" - that wasn't recorded by June/July 1978, when Walter made his wonderful quote, nor "California Feeling" (tape date is 8/28/78).

I'm thinking:
Calendar Girl
Santa Ana Winds
Brian's Back

... and if they played him "Rubles", I'm surprised he didn't tear up the contract on the spot. It's like "Wrinkles", only about a horse. Remember, he'd just promised them $8.5 MILLION.

Who wrote/sang Rubles? I've never heard of it.

And in all honesty, excepting possibly Brian's Back, those songs in place of , eh...HCTN, Going South, and the version of SB that actually came out on the record, would've made this a great album, instead of a merely good one. Are you sure Looking Down the Coast wasn't on the tape? I thought it was from that time period...or was it recorded AFTER the album?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 03:46:28 PM »

Who wrote/sang Rubles? I've never heard of it.

I think it was Al Jardine.

.. AGD, have I remembered correctly?

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »

Not "SkateTown" - that wasn't recorded by June/July 1978, when Walter made his wonderful quote, nor "California Feeling" (tape date is 8/28/78).

I'm thinking:
Calendar Girl
Santa Ana Winds
Brian's Back

Andrew... Do you know when Carl's lead vocal for the 1973 track of "Shortenin' Bread" was ultimately taped?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 07:05:05 AM »

I'm thinking:
Calendar Girl
Santa Ana Winds
Brian's Back

It certainly existed in fall 1976.

Andrew... Do you know when Carl's lead vocal for the 1973 track of "Shortenin' Bread" was ultimately taped?

It certainly existed in fall 1976. BTW, the bass vocal on this version is Brian, not Dennis.  Cool

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 02:39:26 PM »

There is a tape reel that resides in the BB vaults labeled "Criteria Rough Mix". It contains:

California Feeling
Baby Blue
Santa Ana Winds
Looking Down The Coast/Monterey
Brian's Back (With The BB Backing)
Calendar Girl

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 06:00:05 AM »

That honestly doesn't sound so bad.

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 07:49:50 AM »

If you dump Calender Girl and Brian's Back!

Honk! Honk!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »

There is a tape reel that resides in the BB vaults labeled "Criteria Rough Mix". It contains:

California Feeling
Baby Blue
Santa Ana Winds
Looking Down The Coast/Monterey
Brian's Back (With The BB Backing)
Calendar Girl

Do you have the date on that reel?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 03:21:06 AM »

The presence of "Santa Ana Winds" dates it to post-late August/early September 1978. "California Feelin'" was taped August 28th.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 03:28:21 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 04:56:31 AM »

It'd be interesting to know if this "Brian's Back" uses the same backing track as the one we all know and...love.   Or if it is different...does anyone know?

In an interview for David Leaf's "Pet Sounds" fanzine in late '78, Bruce mentioned that this song had been in the running for the CBS album, but stated he intended to leave it off (because it was a terrible record in his opinion, although he thought the intention was nice).  He also said "a heavy no" on "California Feeling", which may have been Brian's decision, but he doesn't say that. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 04:59:55 AM »

No - entirely different, and clunkier, recording. No lead vocal, as far as I know, just the bvs (in which Brian is clearly audible, essentially singing about himself. Wierd).

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 05:26:59 AM »

Maybe there is a way of getting Mikes vocal and sticking it over Brians 'Brians back'?, then again I actually quite like Mikes version, its quite sweet!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »

In an interview for David Leaf's "Pet Sounds" fanzine in late '78, Bruce mentioned that this song had been in the running for the CBS album, but stated he intended to leave it off (because it was a terrible record in his opinion, although he thought the intention was nice).  He also said "a heavy no" on "California Feeling", which may have been Brian's decision, but he doesn't say that. 

Is that the same interview where Bruce mentions "Do You Like Worms" as a possible cantidate for the album?  I've wanted to re-read that for a while now.

SUICIDE
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 03:55:11 PM »

Is that the same interview where Bruce mentions "Do You Like Worms" as a possible cantidate for the album?  I've wanted to re-read that for a while now.

Yep, same article.  He says "Guercio wants to open the album with 'Rock Plymouth Rock / Roll over' and end with 'Been Away Too Long'.  I wanted to make up a collage, but I want Brian to be the one to put the collage together." 
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 01:40:46 AM »

Instead, we got disco!

Honk! Honk!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »

Seriously!  I'm starting to feel more and more gyped by the Light Album.  It's basically a collection of odds 'n' ends, similar to 20/20 from a decade prior.  Except that LA completely lacks the group vibe of its older cousin.  Take away "Good Timin'" and the "Here Comes the Night" remake, and I don't think there's any other songs with more than two or three members of the group appearing on them.

It makes me more than a little upset that Brian was writing thiscreative stuff with carnival sounds and spoken segments at the time, but instead we wound up with "Shortenin' Bread" (relative merits of that song aside).  I wish the founding five members had listened to the ideas Guercio and Johnston had presented instead of settling for a hodge-podge of solo numbers.

I remember Jon Stebbins writing something along the lines of "if you liked some songs on the Light Album, you were guarenteed to dislike others", and I think he hit the nail right on the head there.  There are some great songs on that record, but it's not the coherent group statement it could have been.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 01:32:15 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx