gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:38:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beatles for Sale  (Read 14541 times)
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:09:01 PM »

Beatles for sale gets unfairly criticized for being a 'step-backward'---but what exactly is 'progress' and why is it so important!?!?

"Beatles for Sale" is a damn good record with some cutting edge songwriting on it.
They were kind of learning how to be electric and acoustic at the same time and getting some pretty cool blends.  "Hard Days Night" had less of that.  "Any Time At All" was pretty progressive in that regard with its piano work, but you get the sense that "If I Fell" and "And I Love Her" are the ballads. "I'll Cry Instead" and "Hard Days Night" the rockers.  "I Should Have Known Better" and "Cant By Me Love" the lovable mop-top dance numbers-- "I'll Be Back" and "Things We Said Today" kind of the moody mid-tempo numbers, etc.  I mean, it's a movie soundtrack, you know what you are getting!

"Hard Days Night" has some pretty hot country numbers on it--"Cant Buy Me Love" and "I'll Cry Instead"--this was a relatively new thing on that album and something they would expand upon the next record.  Country was a vein that allowed them to be more emotionally expressive via story lyrics and musically complex in its flexability for chromatic runs and omni-presence of dominant 7th interplay that the Beatles were complete masters of (along with Major 7ths and 6ths of course!!)  There were many musical lessons to be learned in the genre.  Plus, it gave "George" a great opportunity to show what he had learned from Chet Atkins records.  Country a step backward?  Where the hell do you think they were going with their current single "I Feel Fine" or with their next blockbuster, "Help?" 

"No Reply" is a cutting edge composition that would have been among the best on HDN.  Great story lyrics and a wonderful chord pattern and harmony on the "I Nearly Died" sections.  The bridge is purely raucious in the HDN tradition.

"I'm A Loser" is a wonderful lyrical development--light years beyond "Any Time At All" or "I Want to Hold Your Hand" --a tremendous harmony, a great swooping baseline, tremendous playing from George, and again, a very forward chord pattern with it's alternations of F and D (not d minor mind you!)

"Spoil the Party" is an absolutely brilliant blend of Everly's harmonies and Goffin/King style songwriting.  I mean, what two part harmony in the rock canon is better than "I....Still....Love....Her?"

For your moptop fun tune, "Eight Days A Week" is pretty perfect and durable.  IT almost seems like a distraction from the album.  An album they seemed to know exactly what they were doing on.  But with its incredible drum sound and harmony on the chorus (I lo-o-o-o-ove you" it looks forward to "Help" and "We Can Work It Out")

The Lennon/McCartney gems did not stop there.  "Baby's In Black" was another Everlies nod, and a unique one at that.  They kind of threw it together as a sea-shanty waltz with a really ballsy delivery.  George's searing guitar intro and solo sealed the deal.

The schmaltzy "Mr. Moonlight" continued the tradition of schmaltz that started with "Taste of Honey" and continued through "When Im 64" and "Honey Pie"--it's the Beatles.  You had your schmaltz on HDN with "Tell Me Why"--a better schmaltzy song, but to tell you the truth, I have always really liked Mr. Moonlight.

You wont find a Beatle obscurity more loved than "Every Little Thing"--a romantic, strong John offering with a wonderful instrumental bridge and tympani that looked forward to some of the experiments they would get more vested into in "Rubber Soul"

Paul's "What You're Doing" is not tremendous, but still has a memorable melody and some great shouting back-up vocals.  It's kind of the "Happy Just to Dance With You" of the record.  Some wicked hooks, but expendable. (for that matter, the Cyrkle version of "Happy Just to Dance With You" is MUCH better.  Deal With It.

In my opinion, the momentum killing "Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey" is one of the more boring things the Beatles have ever done and in a heartbeat should have been scrapped for the AMAZING AMAZING "Leave My Kitten Alone"--if there is a headscratcher in Beatles history it is WHY didn't they put this song on "For Sale"--
did Ringo not like his drum fills, could it have been that petty???

Speaking of Petty, the cover of Buddy Holly's "Words of Love" is an effortless throwaway.  Not without its charms but indeed more reminiscent of the relaxed feel of their BBC shows where they would play any number of covers and INDEED a step back, I'll give you that.  It's completely unambitious, and almost just seems like they were looking for material.

The same can be said of the somewhat better, but still non-essential "Rock And Roll Music..."  So in this regard, the album is a step back--only by virtue of the inclusion of the non-essential covers.  But NOT by virtue of its originals.  So many better choices for covers.  "Soldier of Love" um, yes.  That one. 

So you heard it hear first.  "Beatles For Sale" ripped my head off when I first heard it in 1996.  I called it the 'first alternative music' for its unique chord structures.  "Loser" and "Every Little Thing" are great examples of what I mean.
If there are any Beatles fans on this thread that have avoided the album because of its 'reputation'--this craziness must stop.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:16:34 PM »

Not enough Macca content on this album and I'll follow the sun is not one of my fave macca song's, too many cover's
but your right "every little thing " is underrated ! 
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:21:44 PM »

sh*t, I forgot "I'll Follow The Sun"--
that's a very sublime Buddy Holly nod in my opinion!!!

No, not as good as "If I Fell," but WAS ANYTHING EVER?

It is certainly better than "Tell Me What You See"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »

It's just an overlooked (as much as the Beatles could be) and unfairly maligned album.
It's utterly honest in it's beautiful weariness.
John continues his songwriting supremacy with a fabulous 3-song suite of regret, sorrow and paranoia at the top. No Reply is one of the great story-songs, paranoid and jealous in the great Lennon tradition.
I'm A Loser sounds nothing like Dylan, but it's one of the great folk-rock songs anyway.
Baby's In Black is as great as the Beatles ever got, a country death waltz with Everly harmonies.
Rock And Roll Music is overrated, one of Chuck's least inspiring songs, but this version at least kills the rancid Beach Boys version.
I'll Follow The Sun shows that Paul was still not too prolific, as he recycled this song from the 50's, but he meets Joohn's challenge with this mournful, gorgeous arrangement.
Of course, he's gotta show how versatile he is, so he then proceeds to put Little Richard to shame on his own turf, shredding Penniman's Kanas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey medley. Pure rock, the way it should be played, the way it should be sung.
Mr. Moonlight is godawful, but at least it's a weird, obscure cover choice. And Lennon's voice is great.
Eight Days is John and Paul at their best, setting the template for pop music forevermore. Even the STones had to rip this off, in their "I'm Free". Viva fade-in's and explosive non-choruses.
Words Of Love is one of the canniest and hippest cover choices in the catalog, a semi-obscure Buddy Holly song that they manage to surpass with wonderfully close two-man harmonies, similar to what the BB's would do with the Everlys' Devoted To You on the Party album. Heaven on wax.
Honey Don't is the first of two killer Carl Perkins covers, originally sung by John in their live set, but here smartly given to Ringo, who simply nails the humourous rockabilly vibe. George simply channels Carl here. You can see the smile and the little shuffle-dance when listening to this solo.
Every Little Thing is how pop music should sound. Deal with it. It's mindblowing, pop on a high, high level. You can just feel how intense songs like this must have sounded on US shores. I mean, tympani?Huh Lennon's voice is so heartbreaking and beautiful-sad.
I Don't Want To SPoil The Party may be the most convincing country song in the catalog, evidence that John could nail a genre without even trying when he was firing on all creative cylinders. Again paranoid, hopeless, self-pitying and negative, the way we like our John. Great harmonies and Perkins-soloing, again.
What You're Doing is Paul's finest between Things We Said Today and Rubber Soul. Amazing melodies, hooks to spare, perfectly modulated and earthy. Heaven-rock. Jane does him wrong for the first time, the first in a string of wounded-love classics in the McCartney canon.
Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby is one of the great Beatles album-enders, country-blues-rock, stomp-the-stage-to-dust, dig-this, we-do-it-all, good-night.

Incredible album. Really.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 12:40:16 PM »

Lennon's singing voice was really at a peak during this period, IMO. I think it's a shame how underrated he is as a vocalist. And he was at his best on this kind of material. His performance even saves a mediocre tune like "Mr. Moonlight". The passion in which he delivers the song, combined with really incredible phrasing and that particular whine he had at times, takes it to another level. Not as pretty a voice as Paul's, but ultimately much, much more expressive.

Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:45:28 PM »

Also, my favorite Beatles photograph.

I love the red and green

wonderful gatefold

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 12:46:56 PM »

Lennon's singing voice was really at a peak during this period, IMO. I think it's a shame how underrated he is as a vocalist. And he was at his best on this kind of material. His performance even saves a mediocre tune like "Mr. Moonlight". The passion in which he delivers the song, combined with really incredible phrasing and that particular whine he had at times, takes it to another level. Not as pretty a voice as Paul's, but ultimately much, much more expressive.

Couldn't agree more. The early Lennon could rip your heart out on a girl-group cover. Baby It's You and Please Mr. Postman have a primal emotional rawness that rivals the Plastic Ono Band album.

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 02:53:16 PM »

It is certainly better than "Tell Me What You See"

Angry Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Cry

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »

He's right, y'know!!

james666
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »

If you replaced Honey Don't, Words Of Love and Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby and the ghastly Mr Moonlight with the coentaneous I Feel Fine, She's A Woman and Leave My Kitten Alone, you'd have a 13-track LP that is easily the equal of A Hard Day's Night or Help!  Thank goodness these wrongs can now be easily righted with CD burners and and iPods.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 05:06:38 PM »

It's ten times better than Help as is.

GP1138
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 05:18:36 PM »

I love "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party". In fact, I might just post a version up here that my dad and I did together. Just to embarrass myself.  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 05:20:22 PM »

Sounds sweet.

GP1138
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 05:27:50 PM »

I'm singing the high parts, unfortunately. My dad and I trade, during the verses, he's John, and during the bridges, I am. Unfortunately, we were playing and singing at the same time, so I was concentrating on the playing more than the singing. I suck here, terribly.  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

http://gp1138.digitaloutsider.org/party.mp3
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 05:34:19 PM by GP1138 » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 05:30:12 PM »

Not working for me!  Undecided

GP1138
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 05:32:52 PM »

Right-click and Save as. It worked for me. Maybe it just needed a minute.

EDIT: For some reason, Firefox would say it could download it, but then just downloaded an empty file.

http://gp1138.digitaloutsider.org/party.mp3

Try that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 05:35:00 PM by GP1138 » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 05:40:46 PM »

Dude, that moved me. Really. That's what should go on in all families. That rules. Thanks for sharing that, it made my night.

GP1138
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 05:43:47 PM »

Dude, that moved me. Really. That's what should go on in all families. That rules. Thanks for sharing that, it made my night.

I sound so terrible, though! I'm glad it had an effect on you other than disgusting you because I ruined a great song for you.  :D :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 08:19:38 AM by GP1138 » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 05:53:37 PM »

No man, it sounds great. Pure love of music reflected overcomes all flaws. Beauty.

Evenreven
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 07:41:14 AM »

Coming in late here....

Just want to add to the Sale praise. I've praised this album every chance I've had, and I wil continue to do so. I even got me a new convert (hello, Rich Grin)!

Jonathan and Ian are spot on. Great posts.
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 08:39:42 AM »

"Jonathan and Ian are spot on. Great posts."

No, they're effing not! Enough of this mutual hot-tub hugging in agreement that BFS is "underrated" or a "great album" or whatever! It's this nonsense that has to stop!

The great stuff, as noted, is great, and shows real progression (and progression is important, to whoever suggested it wasn't - you progress or you stagnate). But any album with the following filler on it deserves a kicking:

Rock and Roll Music: Oh, please!
Mr Moonlight: Hideous showtune belted out like they were playing to an audience of geriatrics in the Catskills.
Kansas City: see Rock and Roll Music. Hangovers from their Star Club nights - the Beatles had moved on by this stage and so had we. Covers we didn't need.
Words of Love: Why? To show they could?
Honey Don't: no, don't.
Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby: *snorrrrrrrrrre!*

Six ho-hum cover versions on a 14-track album. Do the math. What's left is fine, but not enough.

This was too early to do a tribute to their Rn'R roots, and too late to be contemporary. You may like the cover versions for what they are - competent performances of Rn'R standards - but they were certainly filler at this stage in their career.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
Evenreven
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 08:46:37 AM »

Let me see...

Heh?
wrong, this is way too weird to be filler
wrong
wrong
another "heh"?
your choice, I guess. I like to fall asleep to good music too.
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 08:56:48 AM »

Falling asleep music! That's a thread I'd be up for. In fact ...

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 08:57:31 AM »

too many covers for sure (Everybody Knows is amazing though!)

but THE ORIGINALS deserve lots of attention from fans who don't buy this album
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 09:02:56 AM »

Why is it such a crime that there are covers on an album?  Who wrote in stone that a band has to write all of its songs?  Didn't we all go nuts over the BBC discs because it had all of those covers on it?  Frankly, I would rather have 6 good well-played covers than a shorter album/EP if material was lacking.  Plus, Rock and Roll Music is BETTER than the Chuck Berry original, Words of Love gives Buddy a run for his money, and we need all of Paul doing Little Richard we can get.

MUCH better album than Help was -- covers were used instead of poor original material (which while not exactly poor on Help aren't as good as the BFS covers).  Only slipup was not getting Leave My Kitten Alone on there somehow.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx