gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:26:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE
5 - 126 (76.4%)
4 - 20 (12.1%)
3 - 7 (4.2%)
2 - 7 (4.2%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
0 - 4 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE  (Read 120546 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2009, 12:38:06 PM »

Clearly you're not well-read on your Beach Boys history, and while I won't chastise you for it, I will look down on you either way.  Cool

The cocaine sessions were a sort of inspirational period for both Brian and Dennis throughout the better part of late 1980 well into 1982, before Brian was rehabilitated. Some stuff was recorded in studios, some at home on cheap recorders. Stevie was done in a studio in 1981. Brian recorded several demos in 1981, of which we've heard Sweetie, Reins, and Walking On Water. And there's the legendary tape from November 1982 where Brian and Dennis jammed at Garby Leon's house on his grand piano and Hammond B-3 organ, resulting in very fragmentary stuff, including Oh Lord (later "finished" for the '85 album), rudimentary versions of City Blues and This Isn't Love, a few other unknown songs (Why Don't You Tell Me Why You've Been Good To Me, I Feel So Fine, Yeahhh!), and a downright Satanic version of Heroes and Villains.

The charitable opinion is that a LOT more than what goes around on boots exists.

Real B- Boy, you didn't take me seriously, did you?
Jason
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »

I don't doubt the existence of a 16 CD set of Funky Pretty outtakes either. Smiley
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »

That would be sweet.... Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2009, 06:25:53 PM »

It would be more interesting than the cocaine sessions.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2010, 07:13:48 AM »

So i just got this on vinyl and DAMN does it sound good! Much warmer than the CD....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »

In full honesty I was disappointed with BWPS when I first heard it (a little less than a year ago). Why? I wanted Pet Sounds II - another beautiful, down-to-earth love story. I wasn't expecting such a diverse group of instrumentals and abstract lyrics in BWPS.

Though mildly disappointed I was still interested in SMiLE so I got my hands on some bootlegs....I started listening to SMiLE sessions on youtube. I bought Priore's book, Carlin's book, and White's book. I started to realize how intricate/amazing SMiLE was/is. I started to make my own mixes of SMiLE. I listened to only bootlegs of SMiLE for months and months. I then found this board and found a wealth of info on the original SMiLE. It took me awhile to fully appreciate SMiLE - it is so far from Pet Sounds (lyrically and conceptually) that I guess it just took some time to sink in. In all this time I had virtually forgotten about BWPS....

Fast forward to a few days ago: I got the urge to hear Brian Wilson's 2004 version of 'Roll Plymouth Rock' after reading about it on a thread here - I then decided to listen to the entire album again: After months of listening to nothing but crappy bootleg-quality recordings, I was stunned by the finished quality of the album.

I LOVE this album. In the last few days I've racked up quite a playcount of BWPS in itunes. I love the lounge-esque 'I Wanna Be Around' and the beautiful 'Old Master Painter'. 'You Are My Sunshine' is one of the highlights of the album for me. The 2004 BW version of 'Surf's Up' is, imo, as amazing as the 1966 one. 'On A Holiday' is one I can't stop listening to: I think the most magical moment of the album is when Brian sings "Long, Long ago, Long agoooooo".

BWPS has become number one on my desert island list....along with Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper, and Blonde On Blonde. There is so much diversity of love, spirituality, America, mystery, and fun on this album, how could it not be #1 on my list!?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:40:21 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »

If you ever get a chance, take a listen to the opening night live show from Royal Festival Hall. Except for Brian flubbing a few lines, the songs are played and sung with gusto. It is great fun to listen to all the way through.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2010, 11:57:06 AM »

Love it. BWPS is very cool. Has an emotional punch.

It lacks the quality of Dream that a release in 1966/67 would have contained. That is, I think, reasonable to say.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »

I'm fairly certain I'm about to buy a record player. I was going to buy BWPS on vinyl and was wondering if anyone knew if it comes with any pictures/booklet. Random question, I know, but I really love the art associated with the 2004 SMiLE and wondered if any of this was included with the vinyl. Thanks!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »

I'm fairly certain I'm about to buy a record player. I was going to buy BWPS on vinyl and was wondering if anyone knew if it comes with any pictures/booklet. Random question, I know, but I really love the art associated with the 2004 SMiLE and wondered if any of this was included with the vinyl. Thanks!
Bought the BWPS vinyl today. It's a gatefold with the lyrics and a few illustrations inside - no booklet or poster (like the CD version) sadly. Or is there a deluxe edition or something? I don't think so.

AWESOME sound that vinyl has, by the way... can't believe how good it sounds. You can practically throw your CD away after you've bought the vinyl. Or give it to someone. And keep the poster.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:02:23 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2011, 09:27:10 AM »

Will second the insane good sound on the vinyl. And bonus tracks!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »

I know a lot of people including myself have lost the novelty of this album, but there is something radiant about the listening experience of this album on vinyl as opposed to the dryness of the CD- Go get a copy of it today, you won't regret it! It's so good...
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2011, 10:53:07 AM »

Well I had my first listen to BWPS last night from a CD I have found at home. Although for some reason the sound is really fuzzy, from the music I could hear I had mixed feelings about it! Some versions I prefer on Smiley Smile and other songs I don't really like but Child is the father of the man is wonderful! Brian really is a genius, tormented genius though.

The 'normal' BB stuff is more up my street but you can see glimpses of how the other boys could have made this worked had they shared the same vision. I don't know why Wind Chimes is more 'weird' on SS and nicer on this!
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »

Surf's Up is the best album on this track! Brian sounds great on this and the production is nice too. Other notable tracks are In Blue Hawaii, Wind Chimes, Vega-Tables, and Wonderful. Just stunning. Classic Brian Wilson. Period.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »

Stupidly I did not buy the vinyl of this while it was still being pressed. Any chance this is will be sold retail in vinyl again?

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2013, 03:27:11 AM »

Stupidly I did not buy the vinyl of this while it was still being pressed. Any chance this is will be sold retail in vinyl again?
It still is in Germany.. that's all I know. Get the vinyl when you see it. Brilliant quality.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »

I realize I'm probably going to get kicked off the board for this, but I think the time has come to fess up.... I can't stand this album. I hate everything about it. It is contrived and phony and sounds like the soundtrack to a second rate broadway musical. I bought it when I came out, but was immediately disappointed. It just never felt right. What was cool and edgy for a 25 year old back in the 60s felt, again, contrived and phony for a 60 year old in 2004. I was also pissed at all the adulation that Brian was getting when 90% of the music had ALREADY BEEN RELEASED by the Beach Boys and sounded ten times better by the Beach Boys. The real kicker was the obnoxious jettisoning of Mike Love's GV lyrics for the discarded Tony Asher lyrics. To me it was a spit in the face.

This is a 1 star album for me. I hate that it exists.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »

Wow, a bit strong on the dislike, but just remember that without it you probably would not have the Smile Sessions. Brian needed to do the tour and this album to finally come to terms with Smile after 37 years. Like most of Brian's solo work, it is a little too clean and sterile sounding, but boy, the tour was fabulous. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2013, 04:57:50 AM »

Sure, the album doesn't come close to the 60s material, but the sequencing of the tracks here is freakin' phenomenal.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2013, 06:05:28 AM »

Yes, the track listing and splitting into movements is terrific.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2013, 06:25:20 AM »

I haven't listened to this in quite awhile, but BWPS was totally worth it for the lyrics to Look, CIFOTM, and Holidays... the vinyl is great, but obviously nothing matches that original 1960's sound.

Also, I wonder if Capitol wasn't going to release TSS in some way, shape, or form, so therefore Brian cashed in on his music while the iron was still hot.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2013, 06:40:09 AM »

I have a copy. Smiley I have the three Vegetables vinyl singles as well.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »

Wow, a bit strong on the dislike, but just remember that without it you probably would not have the Smile Sessions. Brian needed to do the tour and this album to finally come to terms with Smile after 37 years. Like most of Brian's solo work, it is a little too clean and sterile sounding, but boy, the tour was fabulous. Smiley

hahaha - yeah, that was a little strong. I was about 10 beers in when I wrote that. what can i say? I'm passionate about the beach boys!!!
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »

Had a look on Amazon and there is a 'Smile' (Europe Jb Configuration) listed, is there any difference between this version (such as any additional track(s) etc.) compared to the normal CD?.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2013, 01:23:37 AM »

The real kicker was the obnoxious jettisoning of Mike Love's GV lyrics for the discarded Tony Asher lyrics. To me it was a spit in the face.

Ah, but would you have preferred that Brian would re-record arguably his most famous song, giving it little distinction from the Beach Boys original?  Using the alternate lyrics wasn't to spite Mike Love, it was just to do something different, to put a twist on a song that anybody the album appealed to undoubtedly heard already.  And besides, it's not like Mike's lyrics were swiped completely.  It's really a combination of Love and Asher's lyrics as the song was unfinished when Asher had done his part.  "I-I love the colorful clothes she wears," "I'm picking up good vibrations, she's giving me excitations," and "I don't know where but she sends me there, what a sensation, what an elation" are all Mike Love lyrics.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx