gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:47:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE
5 - 126 (76.4%)
4 - 20 (12.1%)
3 - 7 (4.2%)
2 - 7 (4.2%)
1 - 1 (0.6%)
0 - 4 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE  (Read 120626 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »

I'll take an allegedly flawed product over none at all.

I'd have to disagree there, I agreed with the BWPS better than nothing, but then again its hard to deal with the fact that it'll always be 'what couldve been' instead of 'what is'...SMiLE will always be 'what couldve been' regardless of the BWPS.

Yes, Smile is a "what could've been," but it was always going to be that, ever since it wasn't put out within the first few years of its possible release. There is no way Brian could have finished it to people's requirements and understandings of his "original intentions" from about 1971 or 1972 on, in my opinion. First, I doubt he HAD completed original intentions, just tons of ideas. And second, anything after that was him in a different mental and musical place, and with generally decreasing musical power. So whether BWPS comes out or not, Smile is a "what could've been." But it never can be. And never could have been. By the time I was born, it was a lost cause. So BWPS...yeah, I'll gladly take it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2006, 01:17:18 PM »

Brian's tracklist for SMiLE (The one where Time To Get Alone started) seemed much more interesting than how it is as a finished product. They tried to give it the treatment that it would've got in 1967 but it falls short since all parties aged a few decades and lost the main spark that made it so great. I don't listen to the album much; it might just be because it's one of those albums which need to be felt through the entire duration which I cannot ascribe much time to each day.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2006, 06:54:24 AM »

I thought that when BWPS came out, it might stop everyone whinging about the loss of SMiLE, maybe thats what Brian thought too "I'll just stick out the damn record so everyone gets off my ass".
Alas no....

I like this version and the original, it is great music and some of it - Cabinessence, Wonderful, Look (song for children), Surfs up, Our Prayer, Wind Chimes, Holidays (On a holiday) - and moves me in whatever version.
The rest of it doesn't really affect me emotionally as individual songs - Barnyard, Heroes and Villains (yes), Vegatables etc. Though when I saw it live I was blown away.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2006, 10:44:25 AM »

I thought that when BWPS came out, it might stop everyone whinging about the loss of SMiLE, maybe thats what Brian thought too "I'll just stick out the damn record so everyone gets off my ass".

And here I thought he put it out because his wife thought it was a good idea...
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2006, 12:21:20 PM »

And here I thought he put it out because his wife thought it was a good idea...
ha ha !!!! that's damn funny!! did bri remake rainbow eyes on Giomh...or am i just trippin'?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2006, 12:25:37 PM »

That's one phrase I hope I never hear again:

"My wife and my managers thought it was a good idea".

Dead Horse

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2006, 03:31:15 PM »

I'm tired of Brian going out and acting like he hates being anywhere or doing anything and giving the same 5 answers over and over. If he's going to perform and make records, then he should commit to it 100 percent. OR he should just go home, eat steak and disappear.   

Angry

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2006, 03:22:43 AM »

I have to give this a 5, if for no other reason than the music alone.  We all have our disagreements about the way it was recorded, why it was recorded, fake instruments and the differences between this and the original sessions.  But the bottom line is that the musical and vocal arrangements, as well as the songwriting in general, are fascinating and innovative even today, almost 40 years after the project was originally undertaken.  Would I have preferred real harpsichords and tack pianos?  Sure.  Do I miss the inherent weirdness/darkness/creativity of the original sessions?  You bet.  But those things still can't take away from the fact that this music was composed by a man who was at his artistic peak, a man who was so creative and imaginative that he composed some of the most incredible music ever. The Brian Wilson that put out BWPS is obviously not the same Brian Wilson who dreamed up Smile.  But BWPS is, for better or worse, what a 62 year old Brian Wilson thought that Smile should be.  And since we can never have 24 year old Brian Wilson's Smile, I'd say that we should be damned glad to have BWPS. 
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »

Anyone who can record music almost 40 years ago, scrap it, re-record it almost 40 years later and have the end result be a triumphant as it is. Deserves the highest possible praise.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2006, 05:37:16 PM »

I'm tired of Brian going out and acting like he hates being anywhere or doing anything and giving the same 5 answers over and over. If he's going to perform and make records, then he should commit to it 100 percent. OR he should just go home, eat steak and disappear.   

Angry

'and disappear'. 

That's terrible...How rude...Where talking about Brian Wilson

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2006, 09:42:04 PM »

Huh

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2007, 11:36:58 AM »

The songs and the way they were all put together is genius. The musical backings stay very close to the 66/67 arrangements, no complaints there. My only complaints are 1) the backing vocals are not the Beach Boys. 2) Brian's leads on some songs (most notably Cabinessence and Surf's Up) can't compare to the way Carl sang them on the Beach Boys versions (or Brian's 66/67 vocals, for that matter - Brian doesn't have that kind of sweetness in his voice anymore). Other than that, I think it's a miracle we finally got a Smile disc. Not THE Smile disc, but a Smile disc. I've got my tapes and records of the 66/67 sessions, and will play them for the rest of my life, but I'm glad we finally have a completed (if not THE completed) version of Smile. Now all that's left is for Capitol to put out a Smile sessions box. I just hope we don't have to wait another 40 years for it!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »

That beat on Roll Plmouth Rock (Do You Dig Worms) is killer. I love that beat. That beat alone makes this album a 5.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2007, 07:31:32 PM »

Now I love BWPS...My Favorite album ever....HOWEVER, I can honestly say that if this album is a 5, the original SMiLE would've been a 10. I compared the instrumental track of Cabinessence 2004 to Cabinessence 1966 and they are almost two different songs. Forget the vocals for a minute. If you listen to the Cabinessence 1966 instrumental from the GVBOXdisc5 you can hear how Brian truly created and portayed music with such care and effort as to achieve the highest order of perfection possible. The instrumental Cabinessence 2004 sounds like a gem compared to the rest of the merda coming out nowadays, but compared to the 66 version it sounds rushed, hollow, plastic-like, and souless. I am let down by the Cbinessence instrumental included on the Vinyl package, relatively speaking to the 66 version. Like I said though, it is still my favorite album. I wish they spent more time in the studio, then it could've been more like a 7 or 8 compared to the 10 of SMiLE67.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »

The backing tracks sound fine to me. I was amazed, actually, that the sound was so close to that of the 66-67 sessions. If only the vocals could have sounded so much like the originals.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2007, 09:28:32 PM »

Is anyone talking about this record anymore, besides us?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2007, 05:18:24 AM »

Is anyone in the greater public talking about ANY 2.5-year-old album besides fans of that artist? Our society isn't known for a great attention span.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2007, 08:31:32 AM »

They're still talking about PS.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2007, 09:09:44 AM »

They're still talking about PS.

Yes, but as a classic album. There is a time span between new release and classic during which nobody discusses albums. Too old to be new, too new to be old. Think about the most critically-praised albums of the past 5-10 years, and then consider the last time you read something about them:

Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Radiohead, Kid A
Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Beck's albums through Sea Change
Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin

It's just natural that there is a "quiet period."

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2007, 09:58:21 AM »

I'm gonna talk about this album forever to anyone who will listen...even if I have to talk to myself!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »

Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Radiohead, Kid A
Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Beck's albums through Sea Change
Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin

I never have and never plan on talking about any of these albums.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »

That makes two of us!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2007, 09:09:26 PM »

Your mistake(s).

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »

I'll listen to them in 30 years when they become retro.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2007, 04:13:23 PM »

I listen to them now, when they're good, as they were when they were released, and as they will be in 30 years.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx