gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:03:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian version of God only knows  (Read 22166 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »

Here's a better question...when does the cd come out?

At the end of this month I believe, 2/28.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »

Awesome.I'll be getting it for that and the new song.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2007, 04:15:40 PM »

I emailed the company, and heres the reply..

First of all thank you very much!! for your interest in the new Brian Wilson version of God Only Knows, which is part of a CD called NEW MUSIC FROM AN OLD FRIEND, Singer Songwriter Legends Brian also has a brand new song on the CD that he co-wrote with  Burt bacharach called See What Love Can Do. To be perfectly clear about this new version of God Only Knows,,,, There is absolutley NO SPLICING OR EDITING, It is a completely brand new track produced by the Illustrious Phil Ramone & Brian Wilson. It was recorded from scratch at Ocean Way Studios in LA. I was there. It is 100% completely new.... I hope that clears up the question. Thanks again for your interest. It is sincerely appreciated!

Though, hes talking about the actual track, he doesnt really mention the video.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 04:19:54 PM by Joe- » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2007, 04:20:05 PM »

Who was it at the company that was allowed to attend the sessions, yet personally answers emails from random strangers? Weird.

But it does answer the question.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »

Who was it at the company that was allowed to attend the sessions, yet personally answers emails from random strangers? Weird.

But it does answer the question.

Umm, I dont see how it matters...? Why isnt he allowed to answer emails from 'random strangers'? And how is someone interested in a product that they're selling be 'random'?

Re-reading his reply, it seems to me that (like Mark Linett) he's talking about the actual track that was recorded by Brian and crew. He never mentions the video or anything...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 04:31:10 PM by Joe- » Logged

--
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »

If you email Sony/BMG records asking a question about an upcoming release, do you get Clive Davis responding?

Anyone is allowed to answer, obviously. I just found it amusing that someone at the sessions is also the person who responds to unknown (potential) customers' questions or complaints.  A person would assume that the responder is of some importance if s/he was at the sessions. In my experience, usually people of importance within a company don't answer questions unless they are from people they know. Because, interested in the service of that company or not, that person would usually be considered a random stranger. The $12 for a CD doesn't generally earn a person a direct line to an exec, for example.

That may have been over-explaining my (what I thought to be) joke, but I am trying to avoid any ellipses or multiple sarcastic questions in return.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2007, 06:06:03 PM »

Oh, so you're just being a dick. Ok.

Anyway, he replied again and he keeps insisting on the 'song' being completely new and recorded. No mention of the audio in the video. So really, we're back at square one.

--
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »

Actually, in the first email, I wasn't being a dick--I was showing honest surprise and amusement. It was in the latter one that I was being a dick because your response annoyed me.

But yes, I do agree with you that the response didn't actually comment on the ad, specifically, but the track.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2007, 09:44:02 PM »

It did look like Bruce was in the studio in that video.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2007, 08:06:57 AM »

It did look like Bruce was in the studio in that video.

Gee he must have been some sort of ghost that only shows up on film because I was  at oceanway for the two days and Bruce was never there. Or maybe they used a bluescreen to put him in later.

As to the video vs the CD, why would you imagine that someone would splice in two seconds of the original recording for a 30 second download of the new recording?

Anyway both I and I guess someone from the label have given you the correct info. Some of you may continue this odd discussion, but I've done all I can do and am out of here.

Mark Linett

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2007, 08:22:24 AM »

Thanks, Mr. Linett!  Any info on Brian's new album (if there indeed is a new album)?
JScott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2007, 08:34:49 AM »

I don't hear Bruce at all. I just hear Brian f-ing with perfection like he did when he re-recorded Let Him Run Wild. Those recordings can not be improved upon and should be left alone.

It feels like Brian wants to take his best loved song and show the world that he doesn't need the BB's to sound great. We get it Bri. Don't taint the catalog with your insecurity. Move forward.

“Hey, I don’t know the answer to life. I just know that when enough voices combine with the right melody, you’ve got the sound of heaven.”
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2007, 08:47:45 AM »

What song would you propose Brian re-record for a project like this? Or should Brian not get involved in projects like this?  There are some great songwriters like Carol King and Burt Bacharach also taking part.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:00:24 AM by LostArt » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2007, 08:55:43 AM »

Normally, I'd agree about Brian re-recording songs. however, if the rest of the vocal sounds like *that*, I'd buy the disc in a heartbeat.

I really wonder how good the new song on there sounds.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2007, 09:08:57 AM »

Well the demo that I've heard sounds pretty good, but it's just a demo, and there is some unknown singer singing the lead.  I don't know if Brian would do a good job singing the lead on it or not, but the album credits list Brian as the performer (of course written by Brian and Burt).
JScott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »

What song would you propose Brian re-record for a project like this?

Re-record? I can't think of one that would benefit from re-recording. GOK has one of Carl's most beautiful vocal performances ever, and stands IMHO as the definitive version of all time. I welcome all live takes of old songs that Brian can sing well, and any slightly more obscure songs, but to re-record note-for-note versions of the gems is blasphemy.

Why do it?

“Hey, I don’t know the answer to life. I just know that when enough voices combine with the right melody, you’ve got the sound of heaven.”
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2007, 09:43:22 AM »

I know what you mean.  I agree that GOK '66 is not only the definitive version.  It is indeed perfection.  And I don't believe that any of Brian's old songs would benefit from being re-recorded.  But the whole point of this particular project is for each of the writers to re-record one older song, and record one new song.   What if he would have done something like The Little Girl I Once Knew instead.  Or should he have declined to participate in this thing altogether?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »

What I heard sounded like a carbon copy of the 1966 track. If he really wanted to take part in this project, I'd suggest a different reading of the song, like the Wally Heider minimalistic version.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2007, 09:46:42 AM »

I agree with Dancing Bear, the whole note for note approach is somewhat bothersome, especially when we compare it to the original.

Luther, so in the end, you're still a dick.

--
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 09:57:31 AM »

Well, we only heard 30...er...27 seconds of the song.  Maybe he changed it up on the bridge or something??
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »

Might've been better if he hadn't contributed at all then some of you wankers might've been satisfied.  You get the feeling if BW turned up and sang GOK in your living room, note for note perfection, you'd still bitch.  Don't buy the CD if you don't like it.  It sounds like a reasonable product and keeps our boy busy, and with the exception of Richard Marx (he was the unfunny one, right?), he's in decent company.  I mean, I'd like to think he's still got a great album in him, but I doubt it, but this is by no means a disgrace.

Honk! Honk!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »

Might've been better if he hadn't contributed at all then some of you wankers might've been satisfied.  You get the feeling if BW turned up and sang GOK in your living room, note for note perfection, you'd still bitch.

No kidding.It's not like this is the "new Brian Wilson album" or anything. This is just a one-off.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »

Might've been better if he hadn't contributed at all then some of you wankers might've been satisfied.  You get the feeling if BW turned up and sang GOK in your living room, note for note perfection, you'd still bitch.

No kidding.It's not like this is the "new Brian Wilson album" or anything. This is just a one-off.

Hey, when the "new Brian Wilson album" is released, will it be ok to offer educated opinions? I can't wait for that one!  Grin

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2007, 10:18:12 AM »

Well certainly! I personally cannot wait.

what would suck, though, IMHO, is if Brian just releases songs like this instead of doing a proper album.

melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2007, 10:23:28 AM »

Wow...this song has turned...controversial. Hmm...

I agree, the original version is perfection. It is interesting, however, to hear different versions of it, no matter how much they may be alike. There is always something different, somewhere.  I'm not going to knock it until I've heard the entire thing. It may be slightly different...I'm willing to give it more than a shot.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx