gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:23:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian version of God only knows  (Read 22164 times)
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2007, 10:27:21 AM »

"educated"?

Hey, discuss GIOMH again, if you want to discuss a BW album that sucks,  or  be negative to a project by the Boys themselves and hammer SIP, or settle on the Lovester and have a go at LBWL or all that crap he did with Adrian Baker or Dean Torrence or his fucking awful Christmas song, go ahead, but I've already done that.  This isn't a new album, it's a neat recording of one of his most famous songs for a project that required just that, by the sound of it.  I don't know whether BW has it in him to play with the arrangement of his classics any more, but as the guy's done so much and is pushing 65 (and I've already got the Wally Heider GOK), I'm not particularly stressed.

Honk! Honk!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »

Damn, just one step back here, I screwed up with English as my second language. When I wrote "educated" I meant "polite" or "considered". I see how it sounded rude in my original post so I apologize.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »

Don't worry dude...I know what you meant.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »

I did too.

Honk! Honk!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2007, 11:02:52 AM »

Im pretty sure GOK is gonna be awesome. Though lets be honest, I think what we're all are really looking forward to is that new song. If only they wouldve put a video clip of that song instead, and save us some controversy. LOL

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2007, 11:10:51 AM »

What I heard sounded like a carbon copy of the 1966 track. If he really wanted to take part in this project, I'd suggest a different reading of the song, like the Wally Heider minimalistic version.

You're assuming Brian still has the ability (I can't think of another word to use) to do the song justice with a different arrangement.

Maybe the producer of the project, Phil Ramone, was in charge of the song, and wanted the original arrangement. Then they bring in Brian to say "producer" things like "nail it" and "can I hear another one". He might even throw in a "that sounds f----ing great".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2007, 11:39:58 AM »

Wow, and I thought I was a pessimist. You guys would find fault with anything. If he had done a new arrangement, the response would have been, "Why change perfection?" Even if he had brought in a new singer, like Burt Bacharach did (yes, I know Carl sang the original and this is Brian, but you know what I mean), you would have said, "But Carl's was so great." This was what the project was about-- one old, one new. Whoever decided on this wanted to showcase Brian's best work for what is likely to be a new audience.

And if Brian had sounded bad, people would have said, "See? He can't sing anymore. He should just retire." Since he sounds good, (some) people are calling foul and saying it's all been manipulated, as if nearly every CD on the market isn't manipulated in some way.

If nothing else, Brian's music gets more exposure to people who buy the CD for the other artists. And the original is still out there on MANY different issues and reissues of Pet Sounds.   
Nathan Snyder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »

I visit this site a couple of times every week or so to find up to date insider Beach Boys/Brian Wilson news.   Whenever I find it, though,  I then find multiple pages of posts by what seems to be manic depressives hanging on individual seconds of music comparing and arguing with the engineer of the track as well as what BW should or shouldn't be doing.  I know you guys are here by choice and its my choice to even flip through the pages of posts, but.....gosh....It really gets thick was some of you guys.  New cd with a BW track on it,  cool.  Sounds neat.  Maybe I'll pick it up.  End of conversation.  
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2007, 12:00:51 PM »

Surely, there isn't anything wrong with Brian wanting to redo one of his own songs...?  The PS GOK version is beautiful - and you should see my 5 year old son singing it, mistakes and all Smiley (- even more beautiful), and that's the point I'm making.  It isn't the nuts and bolts finished production that makes a song (enhances maybe -sorry Mark Linnett), it's the soul, i.e. what place in your heart it is coming from.

I can't imagine this song coming from any place in Brian's heart other than the nicest, most heartfelt one...   
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2007, 12:22:56 PM »

If you don't like the idea of Brian re-recording GOK, just ignore this CD. Shouldn't be too hard.

Jeez...
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2007, 12:46:39 PM »

Another thing is, I dont think anyone here is really complaining about the new production. A lot of these pages are just speculation that the coda sounds exactly like the original. I look forward to hearing the new version just to see if whoever sang it really nailed Bruce's timbre...(huhuh)

Also, people who come on here to just post about how they're tired of peoples complaining...youre not really adding anything to the topic of conversation, so why not just stay out of it? This is a thread of discussion of the actual music/production not what your opinion is on others peoples feelings of the matter.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 12:48:00 PM by Joe- » Logged

--
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2007, 12:54:15 PM »

I have to admit, I don't care one way or the other what Brian did with GOK--I'll listen to it as a curiosity and because I'll buy the disc, but that's it. The concept of the album is for him to put on a remake, so whatever it is, fine. Real harpsichords, fake harpsichords, fine. Bruce or no Bruce, fine. Decide against GOK and do Hey Little Tomboy? Fine. The odds of me liking a new BW version of a BW classic are slim to none (and I LOVE his current band), so I'm not getting too worried about that.

The new track, though, is something I really am looking forward to. I heard the demo and remain intrigued enough that I think it will be worth buying this CD (which, I must admit, I have no interest in whatsoever otherwise...no offense to Richard Marx and whoever else...). My one real hope for that track: his band on bg vox, not the wall-of-out-of-tune Brians. That's it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »

Another thing is, I dont think anyone here is really complaining about the new production. A lot of these pages are just speculation that the coda sounds exactly like the original. I look forward to hearing the new version just to see if whoever sang it really nailed Bruce's timbre...(huhuh)

Also, people who come on here to just post about how they're tired of peoples complaining...youre not really adding anything to the topic of conversation, so why not just stay out of it? This is a thread of discussion of the actual music/production not what your opinion is on others peoples feelings of the matter.

Agree 100%.

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »

"   Another thing is, I dont think anyone here is really complaining about the new production."

"I agree with Dancing Bear, the whole note for note approach is somewhat bothersome, especially when we compare it to the original."

A big ironic  Undecided
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:55:29 PM by salman rushdie » Logged

Honk! Honk!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2007, 06:23:52 PM »

Wheres the irony? I'm not talking about the recording specifically, I'm talking about the idea of re-recording an amazing song (my favorite song ever) over again note for note. I liked the idea of rearranging it ala the Heider sessions...that was a great remake.

--
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »

Wait...what Heider sessions remake?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2007, 07:42:53 PM »

The one on Endless Harmony.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2007, 07:46:27 PM »

calling people dicks isn't really adding much to the conversation either... 
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2007, 07:49:27 PM »

Right, and by you pointing that out youre adding what to this thread?

exactly. so butt out!  police

--
Jason
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »

calling people dicks isn't really adding much to the conversation either... 

You fucking DICK!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2007, 09:10:27 PM »

LOL

Okay...back on topic..

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2007, 11:23:34 PM »

"You fodaing DICK!"

I wondered how long it would take.

Honk! Honk!
peeping tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2007, 04:09:21 AM »

Geez, looks like i'm back on the Male Ego board again.................
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2007, 04:59:17 AM »

Those posts remind me of ANOTHER message board.  Smokin

Now where are the "that's it I'm leaving" threads?  Cheesy

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2007, 05:41:44 AM »

Thankfully, this looks like it's all in fun. I'd hope so, otherwise I'd have to get out the good ol' ban hammer...

LOL I'm so full of sh*t!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx