gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681469 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 07:35:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In the Back of My Mind  (Read 7129 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2007, 07:34:44 AM »

A couple of people put In the Back of My Mind on their worst-of compilations.

I know that some people don't like this song, and some people love it. I personally love it, but it's true that Dennis struggled with it. As a non-singer, I would think that this is song that is extremely difficult to sing. So, is it the song, or the singer that make people dislike it? Would it sound a heck of a lot better with a different singer?

If so, who? Who could sing those odd rhythms and still do justice to the introspective nature of the song? Maybe it's not necessarily a Beach Boy? Who could cover this song well?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 07:49:11 AM »

I wonder what Mike would've made of it. I think it's the shoddy double tracking against a lovely track that causes people to dislike it. I love it too myself.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:50:03 AM by John » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 08:26:05 AM »

The song's exquisite. A major achievement.

“We live in divisive times.”
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 09:12:56 AM »

Amy- I think you pretty much nailed it. The vocals just kinda don't do it for me - I don't hate the song by any stretch, but I find I skip it when listening to Today more often then I listen to it. The backing track is pretty great though, it's almost "Let's Go Away For Awhile, Part 1"

Dean 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:10:54 AM »

I think it would've worked better as an instrumental. It's not just the vocals themselves...it's the *rhythm* of the vocals that bother me. It sounds clunky and forced. I don't think any other singer could've made it work.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:35:43 AM »

Yes the double tracking is a little off in places, but double tracking is hard if you're not experienced with it.  The song isn't hard to sing, Denny just didn't have much double tracking experience.  I still like his vocal though because he put so much emotion behind it, and that really worked well with the sadness of the lyric.  Such a beautiful yet haunting track.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »

Wow, I'm surprised that people don't like this. I always thought it was a given that this was a BB gem. I love the mournful anxsty feel of this track. I hear it as one of those songs that's a precursor to Pet Sounds. I'm amazed that this has made people's worst of lists!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:12:01 AM »

It would've been a brilliant instrumental.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »

I used to not like this song either, but I've grown to love it over the years. The double-tracking is pretty bad, but I think that's part of what I like about it. Brian obviously decided to do a quick Double-track as they mixed it down. Great way to end an album.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »

I wouldn't I put it on a "worst of" comp, but it is a little frustrating given how brilliant the instrumental is.  I can appreciate the heart-wrenching effect of Dennis's vocal, but the results are a bit too messy. A listen to the Unsurpassed Masters single-tracked vocal take(s) really work best for me.

Also, in the finished track the vocal seems loud over the instrumental.
SG7
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 12:13:51 PM »

Its a nice instrumental and the first and second verses of the song are very good.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »

Yeah, that part is alright. It's that damned tempo change that does it for me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »

This song is a tricky one. It's from Side 2 of Today, so one is supposed to like it, but I don't. And Dennis is the lead singer, so you're supposed to like his (rare) lead vocal, but I don't. And most BB biographies/books praise this song, but I still don't get it.

Then, I hear the backing track only, and it blows me away. So I guess maybe this one would've/could've been an instrumental, but then you're second-guessing Brian, at the height of his genius.

The song is anti-climactic after "She Knows Me Too Well", that's for sure. I think the best vocalist for this particular song would've been Brian, but then he would've hogged the entire Side 2 of Today. Which, come to think of it, would've been fine... police

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 01:23:26 PM »

I don't put it as a worst-of, but it is pretty low on the scale of songs from that album, and for that matter, of BBs songs from that great era. I don't like Dennis' vocal or the song itself, personally.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 01:43:15 PM »

What about the live version fron ten years later on the BEACHAGO tour? Even though he flubs some lines and the sound is crappy, Denny's California soul really comes through!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 02:07:23 PM »

This song is a tricky one. It's from Side 2 of Today, so one is supposed to like it, but I don't. And Dennis is the lead singer, so you're supposed to like his (rare) lead vocal, but I don't. And most BB biographies/books praise this song, but I still don't get it.

And see...that's what makes me dislike it even more. It gets all this praise, and besides the track itself, I can't stand it.

melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »

I absolutely love it...call me crazy, but it's one of my favorites. Vocals and all.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 03:32:36 PM »

Yes the double tracking is a little off in places, but double tracking is hard if you're not experienced with it.  The song isn't hard to sing, Denny just didn't have much double tracking experience.  I still like his vocal though because he put so much emotion behind it, and that really worked well with the sadness of the lyric.  Such a beautiful yet haunting track.

Contrast it with "Do You Wanna Dance", from the same album.  Now THERE'S a tight-ass Denny double-track.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 03:49:03 PM »

Contrast it with "Do You Wanna Dance", from the same album.  Now THERE'S a tight-ass Denny double-track.

That's a good point.  Maybe that one was easier for him, for whatever reason.  Since In The Back of My Mind is a ballad, perhaps that made the task more difficult.  Either way, it's never really bothered me.  All of the boys, even Brian, messed up double tracking at one point or another.  I think it adds character to the vocal in many cases, including this one.  Brian must have thought so too, since he didn't make Denny do it over again. 
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 03:54:07 PM »

It always seemed like the melody line for this was probably written as more of an afterthought, and Dennis obviously had some trouble singing it.  I still really like the song, though.  The backing track is genius, very modern.  It's also really hard for me to hate a Dennis vocal.  He sung with such heart and earnesty, you can hear him put 100% in everything he sang, even if the double tracking sounds off in a few spots.  Doesn't seem to bother anybody in Girls on the Beach.  I love the middle section: "I try to run far away" with the pizzicato underneath.

I don't think another member of the band could have pulled it off any better, or made it a more commercial "hit" sounding song.  Just an odd, introspective, love it or hate it type of song.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 04:53:40 PM »

It's a nice bridge into the glaring oddness of "Bull Session". A nice remix could give a different prespective on it, perhaps - mix the vocal slightly lower, maybe cut the second vocal track off and fatten the first one. It wouldn't the definitive version, but it might help people into the song a little more...
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 05:27:25 PM »

I absolutely love it as is. such a great tune, and the double-tracking really isn't that off.  the only really glaring spot is on the very last "my mind", which to me only adds to the song's charm. and as someone else said, there are a lot of double-tracked vocals out there that aren't perfect.  not just the Beach Boys.  he nailed the middle part, in fact.
the pizzicato strings and the weird swirling fade at the end are some of Brian's finest work.

i think Brian, Carl, or Al could have tackled this one. but Dennis really did give it the emotional oomph it deserved.
haven't heard that live Beachago version.  can anyone help me find that?  I'd also love to hear the instrumental track.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 05:40:03 PM »

Brilliant song.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »

Here's the instrumental track: http://download.yousendit.com/910ACA335E487B25

Pretty odd it hasn't seen a commercial release anywhere.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »

he nailed the middle part, in fact.

Carl and Brian doubled Denny on the bridge (sung in unison).
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx