gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680722 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:02:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Definitive "Worst of the beach Boys Compilation"  (Read 18109 times)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 06:00:24 AM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:27:39 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 06:40:02 AM »

wipe out
tears in the morning
barbara ann
chapel of love
love is a woman
student demonstration
goin' south
livin with a heartache
passing friend

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 06:58:48 AM »

livin with a heartache

Really? I think that's easily one of the best songs they've done after the 70s...
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 06:59:35 AM »

And I don't see what so horrible about Winds Of Change...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 10:08:01 AM »

And I don't see what so horrible about Winds Of Change...
I hate the production, and Al sounds like Kermit the Frog.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »

Angry This thread shouldnt exist. Just reading half of these responses makes me sick. Some of you are listing some great tunes and its sad to think you'd consider it being part of their 'worst'

Computer Smash!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »

Angry This thread shouldnt exist. Just reading half of these responses makes me sick. Some of you are listing some great tunes and its sad to think you'd consider it being part of their 'worst'

Computer Smash!

Exactly.  I can find good things to say about at least 75% of the tunes on this thread.  For instance, I think "When Girls Get Together" is a geniunely creative piece of music and production.  It's almost like a New Orleans funeral song, in spite of the incongruous lyrics. 

"Solar System"?

"If Mars had life on it, I might find my wife on it."  Worth it just for that alone.

YMMV.  I just skip tunes I don't like, or am not in the mood for.  As for converting people, I find that those most resistant to the Beach Boys don't like the most popular, mainstream stuff, since that's what they're most exposed to.  I have a sister that calls them corny, even though I and many of her friends are Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fans.  She doesn't get it based on things like "Don't Worry, Baby."  I don't think there's anything they've done that can make her dislike them more, or get her to like them.  So, it's just a lost cause, anyways. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »

Your opinions are wrong, people. You can't dislike songs I like, because the songs I like are great--that's why I like them, after all. This isn't subjective, it was simply a multiple choice question. You all fail. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »

to me, living with a heartache is more of listening with a headache...the song is just way too long, it only reeks of carl solo (imo). it doesnt fit the album too well

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 01:40:21 PM »

I do agree that "Living With A Heartache" is slightly long (there was a single edit made), but I always liked the sound of the record, and I always got the feeling that "Living With A Heartache" and "Keeping The Summer Alive" were important songs to Carl, like he really put his heart and soul into them...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »

He was a wee bit drink during the vocals, though...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2007, 03:03:45 PM »

Everyone's In Love With You
Student Demonstration Time
Tears in the Morning
Hey Little Tomboy
Endless Harmony
Chapel of Love
Rock and Roll Music

Glenn
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 03:09:08 PM »

He was a wee bit drink during the vocals, though...

Considering the sh*t the band was doing, I'd have been drunk from 1975 onward (although maybe I'd have sobered up for Love You). How else could a person stand that mockery of what used to be a great band?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 03:18:43 PM »

In light of Brian saying the London shows in September will consist of songs his band has never performed on stage before, can I suggest an alternative title for this thread be "Songs we don't want to hear live"?  Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 04:38:11 PM »

Sounds like a winner!

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »

I'm going to boldly post my worst (officially released) Beach Boys songs of all time, and see if I can find a consensus list.

I'm curious to see if anyone here would give any of the below songs more than a token defense:

Summer of Love
Hey Little Tomboy
Sunshine
Passing Friend
Remember (Walkin' In the Sand)
Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
In The Still of the Night
H.E.L.P. Is On The Way/Santa's Got An Airplane
Surf Jam
(I Saw Santa) Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

For those who would defend "H.E.L.P." I refer you to the line "doughy lumps/stomach pumps/enemas too."

If I was going to go out on a personal limb, and throw out songs that for which I suspect there is a constituency, I'd vote for "Here She Comes" (generic early '70s jam band rock), "Gettin' Hungry" (which I would call "Givin' Headache"), "Steamboat" (a long, plodding, incoherent mess), and "Crack At Your Love" (long, plodding, and not nearly messy enough).
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »

Surf Jam is cool. Just the enthusiastic count-in and intro makes it worthwhile for me. I like all the surf instrumental, no matter how iffy some of them are.

Steamboat? So evocative, and that weird industrial sounding plod is cool.

Still of the Night? Ummm, that falsetto intro is really easy to sing along with, and sounds good when you're drunk.

Gettin Hungry doesn't thrill me. It's just that horrible peircing intro at top volume because I turned it way up to hear Wind Chimes' outro. Anyone heard the Faces' version?

I'll agree with the rest, add Leavin' This Town [it's just boring], Bells of Paris [mais oui], Goin' South, Deirdre [a little too schmaltz], The TM titled songs, County Fair, South Bay Surfer and possibly worst of all, Long Tall Texan.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 05:22:02 PM »

I'm going to boldly post my worst (officially released) Beach Boys songs of all time, and see if I can find a consensus list.

I'm curious to see if anyone here would give any of the below songs more than a token defense:

Summer of Love
Hey Little Tomboy
Sunshine
Passing Friend
Surf Jam

That's not a bad (or good?) list. You know what I mean. I only take exception to 1.5 songs. I think "Sunshine" is a well produced and well performed song, my favorite song from KTSA. The guys actually sound like they're havin' fun with it. The other exception (a little) is "In The Still Of The Night". Yes, Dennis' vocal dooms it, but there's something about the arrangement and the backing vocals that I like. While the performance does lack, "In The Still Of The Night" is a good, classic doo-wop song.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 05:35:24 PM »

Summer of Love
Hey Little Tomboy
Sunshine
Passing Friend
Surf Jam

For those who would defend "H.E.L.P." I refer you to the line "doughy lumps/stomach pumps/enemas too."

If I was going to go out on a personal limb, and throw out songs that for which I suspect there is a constituency, I'd vote for "Here She Comes" (generic early '70s jam band rock), "Gettin' Hungry" (which I would call "Givin' Headache"), "Steamboat" (a long, plodding, incoherent mess), and "Crack At Your Love" (long, plodding, and not nearly messy enough).

Out of your main list, I'd say "Tomboy" is great and "Sunshine" and "HELP" are passable. 

I'm also a fan of "Here She Comes", "Gettin' Hungry" and "Steamboat".

Suprised that I haven't seen "Happy Endings" or "Problem Child" on many lists yet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:37:10 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2007, 06:08:59 PM »

i love sunshine and tomboy

~post of the century~
-Mikie

melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2007, 06:34:53 PM »

I really like their version of In the Still of the Night. I also like Surf Jam. The other songs...I'm not going to fight you on.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2007, 11:45:59 PM »

"Surf Jam" is just so damned incompetent and uninspired at the same time.  It's just the bare minimum of a surf instrumental.  It pales in comparison even to any other instrumental they did.

Man, I wish I'd thought of "Happy Endings"...what a dog that song is; the only time in Beach Boys history I can think of where Carl's vocal actually makes a bad song worse.  I can't hate "Problem Child" just because I enjoy the video -- which consists mostly of things being thrown at Bruce Johnston's head -- too much.

Oh!  Oh!  "Crocodile Rock"!  That's pretty godawful too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 11:50:31 PM by adamghost » Logged
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2007, 12:12:51 AM »

Are there any objections to these nominations for the title of Worst Ever Beach Boys Songs of All-Time?

Passing Friend

Happy Endings

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2007, 03:12:58 AM »

I actually like Passing Friend, although it goes on far too long...

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2007, 04:43:10 AM »

I'll defend Gettin' Hungry, though it might've made more sense on Wild Honey.  I like In the Still... too.  Love thge arrangement and the backing vocals and don't mind Denny's vocals either.  I don't mind HELP either, if you take it for what iot is.  I don't like the Christmas version at all.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx