gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:09:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Definitive "Worst of the beach Boys Compilation"  (Read 18012 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 05:46:56 AM »

In the Still of the Night is fine by me.

Passing Friend I could live without along with most of SIP, MIU and the unreleased Christmas Album.

When Girls Get Together is dire. So is (unfortunately, as he seems a splendid chap) most of Bruce's input, other than Disney Girls which is the perfect blend of syrup, pop and sentiment. Dierdre and Tears in the Morning are  possibly the most sacchrine tunes I've heard.

A few folk have mentioned much of LA (Light) Album's tunes but Ilove Full Sail, Going South and even have a soft spot for Here Comes The Night. No jokes about swamps, please!

I've never heard Kokomo in Spanish but can safely guess it'd make my Base 10.

“We live in divisive times.”
whichonespink
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007, 06:10:08 AM »

I don't dig the hate for Matchpoint, Full Sail or Goin' South either!

My 'Top' ten would probably be:

1. California Calling - (possibly the worst case of self-cannibalising ever)
2. Cuckoo Clock - (just crap, musically and vocally)
3. I Do Love You - (I don't love this)
4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?-  (disappointing; I hoped they'd do this much better)
5. I Get Around / Little Deuce Coupe - (why the stupid singing, Mike, why?)
6. Mount Vernon And Fairway (A Fairy Tale) - (zzzzzzz)
7. School Day - (sorry Al, but this sucks)
8. Endless Harmony - (this song really does seem endless!)
9. Male Ego - (damn you, Landy!)
10. Peggy Sue - (what was Al's obssession with ruining oldies?)

It goes without saying that the non-musical tracks such as Bull Session... etc are automatically included as 'bonus' tracks!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »

Blimey Whichone's, some of those are also old faves of mine. California Calling I always interpreted as self-parody really, a rare case of Mike displaying a wry sense of humour and an inkling of where the Bs had come from, and where they'd arrived at.

Cuckoo Clock is a tune of its era so I couldn't really knock it, though the BBs version of Louie Louie doesn't stand up to contemporary versions.

I Do Love You... I'm pretty undecided on it, probably cos I've rarely played it for nearly 22 years!

But Why Do Fools, I gt Around, Little Deuce Coupe are terrific.

Mnt Vernon' musical excerpts are exquisite, almost SMiLE-like occasionally.

School Days rocks in its own way and I love that little collection covers released between 76 and 80 (excpeting Peggy Sue).

Endlss HArmony is more of that BJ saccharin overose, though the closing harmony section ("And we sang...") is terrific.

Male Ego I accepted and liked at the time as a rare BW offering...

Peggy Sue already dissed in this lissed.

“We live in divisive times.”
whichonespink
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 10:57:07 AM »

California Calling I always interpreted as self-parody really, a rare case of Mike displaying a wry sense of humour and an inkling of where the Bs had come from, and where they'd arrived at.

I beg to differ , it seems exactly like the dreck that Mike wanted the Boys to be associated with Smiley

Cuckoo Clock is a tune of its era so I couldn't really knock it, though the BBs version of Louie Louie doesn't stand up to contemporary versions.

I agree to some extent, I give County Fair etc the dodge because its the sort of thing that was done in those days, CC just bugs me, I think its just too twee for my liking...

But Why Do Fools, I Get Around, Little Deuce Coupe are terrific.

I should mention that I Get Around / Little Deuce Coupe refers to the Party! medley...

Endless Harmony is more of that BJ saccharin overose, though the closing harmony section ("And we sang...") is terrific.

I have to agree with you here, I'll rephrase that to 'Up to the end section of Endless Harmony'

Male Ego I accepted and liked at the time as a rare BW offering...

The rarity of this song doesn't save it for me, YMMV. Smiley
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007, 11:11:05 AM »

H.E.L.P. is a GREAT song. You guys are nuts.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2007, 11:33:54 AM »

Mnt Vernon' musical excerpts are exquisite, almost SMiLE-like occasionally.

School Days rocks in its own way and I love that little collection covers released between 76 and 80 (excpeting Peggy Sue).

Endlss HArmony is more of that BJ saccharin overose, though the closing harmony section ("And we sang...") is terrific.

I like the Fairy Tale a lot...without the narration. The mix on School Days is weak, and the backing vox. are gag inducing (oh Oh..oh OH parts, and Carl's backing too). EH is annoying, and sounds "warbly" in parts.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 11:35:56 AM »

what the heck does that mean? "sounds warbly"

EH is a great tune, and the coda is just !!!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 12:02:20 PM »

Maybe it's just my copies (although why a cd copy will sound like that, I don't know), but there's a weird sound to the song...maybe it's the reverb used, or maybe it was a mastering problem. I don't know how to put it in technical terms. For lack of a better way to put it everything has a very unnatural vibrato. Bruce sounds really weird here, too. I'm guessing it's the reverb...?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »

"Peggie Sue" is just awesome.  Go listen to it again!  You can tell that they're totally having a blast singing it.  One of my three favorite uptempo BB oldies covers, along with "Palisades Park" and "Sea Cruise".

Now "Talk to Me"-- that one's dire!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:25:57 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 12:43:48 PM »

I like Peggy Sue. Don't like the version of Come Go With me that was on the original cd, although I do like the "correct" version that's on the 2fer.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »

The "warbling" may be a vocal effect added in the studio...possibly a form of flanging.  I don't recall it on EH specifically, but I do recall this being the case with other stuff around that era, and it's kind of annoying.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2007, 03:33:23 PM »

Maybe it's just my copies (although why a cd copy will sound like that, I don't know), but there's a weird sound to the song...maybe it's the reverb used, or maybe it was a mastering problem. I don't know how to put it in technical terms. For lack of a better way to put it everything has a very unnatural vibrato. Bruce sounds really weird here, too. I'm guessing it's the reverb...?

There was something wrong with "Endless Harmony" on one of the CD releases, I believe it was on the first Warner Reprise CD releases. But it was corrected for the MIU/KTSA two-fers.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »

Ahhh...that's the version I have... well, a burned copy in any case.  I did have the two-fer at one point, but it got stolen (along with about 150 of my other cds, and a few other things) a few years ago.

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2007, 07:26:15 PM »

"Party" tracks should probably be exempt for the most part since they guys were having a . . . . party.  Just goofing around a lot on some of them.  That was sort of the whole point.  The two tracks mentioned here are good example of that.  No one was going for a million seller with them (saving that for Barbara Ann, I guess  = : - }). They're fun, which was the idea.  I like the reaction when I sing the "revised" IGA words for someone.    Also, good idea to just forget about the early album filler stuff when making up these kinds of lists. I learned an awful lot of guitar off some of the surf instrumentals 40 + yearts ago (no, I didn't say a lot of awful guitar).

No way are previously cited Full Sail, Goin' South or Lady Lynda on the worst list and I may be in a small minority of those who like Matchpoint, but i do.  Also Passing Friend and I Do Love You.  All a matter of taste. and personal appeal.

There is a lot of yucky stuff out there, though.  Things like Funky Pretty, the Smiley Smile era album tracks and the TM stuff comes to mind for me.

Rather talk about the good stuff.  Say, how about that "Girl Don't Tell Me"? An all time good'un.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2007, 08:29:36 PM »

Amusement Parks USA
A Thing or Two
Cotton Fields
Student Demonstration Time
He Come Down
15 Big Ones (all of it)
She's Got Rhythm
Ding Dang
Kona Coast

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2007, 09:48:59 PM »

My list would be "Student Demonstration Time" repeated 10 or 12 times.

"Solar System" and "When Girls Get Together" are wonderful in their own universe. Especially "Solar System." It's a place where I like to be. And did someone really say "Wild Honey??"
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2007, 04:44:07 AM »

Amusement Parks USA
A Thing or Two
Cotton Fields

Wow. Especially Cotton Fields.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2007, 05:04:58 AM »

I really like Cotton Fields

Student Demonstration Time is my father's favorite BB song, oddly enough.

Thinking back on it, I think I'm going to go with Summer of Love. That song gives me a flat out headache. I can't take it. I think the whole album is crap, but that one really stands out as a stinker.
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2007, 08:39:40 PM »

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »

I know we're talking about released songs here, but I just can't help but mention "Can't Stop Talkin' About American Girls".  Take a bad Mike Love Song, then make something go HORRIBLY wrong in the studio, which puts Mike's vocals a half step flat, below all the instruments.  It functions better as an avant garde jazz piece than a bad Mike Love creation! 

Incidentally, does anybody have any info on this song?  What's the story behind this thing???
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2007, 08:32:47 AM »

I actually like SDT, esp. the guitar. And I happen to love Matchpoint, as I feel that IMHO is Brian's best vocal since the early 70s. I even like "When Girls Get Together", but it didn't fit KTSA at all. Should've been on Sunflower.

Here's an odd one for me..."The Night Was So Young".Now, I do love the song itself. However, I abso-fucking-lutley  hate Carl's vocal on it. He sounds flat and/or strung out the whole song. Carl was a wonderful singer, but that one just sucked. I would've preferred Brian on it. Same with Oh Darlin'.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2007, 09:47:05 AM »

And I happen to love Matchpoint, as I feel that IMHO is Brian's best vocal since the early 70s.

Here's an odd one for me..."The Night Was So Young".Now, I do love the song itself. However, I abso-fodaing-lutley  hate Carl's vocal on it. He sounds flat and/or strung out the whole song. 

I agree totally about "MatchPoint", Brian's singing is unbelievable, so relaxed! It is IMO his best post-1975 vocal. I wonder if this new "God Only Knows" re-recording will rival it?

I also agree with you that Carl's vocal on "The Night Was So Young" is a little "strung out-ish", but in a funny way, it adds to the melancholy of the song. 

Skies turning gray, there's clouds overhead, I'm still not asleep in my bed...

It's three o'clock, I go to my sink, I pour some milk, and I start to think...

I've got a car, and you're not too far, please let me come over to you...

Perfectly wasted...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2007, 01:37:16 AM »

I know we're talking about released songs here, but I just can't help but mention "Can't Stop Talkin' About American Girls".  Take a bad Mike Love Song, then make something go HORRIBLY wrong in the studio, which puts Mike's vocals a half step flat, below all the instruments.  It functions better as an avant garde jazz piece than a bad Mike Love creation! 

Incidentally, does anybody have any info on this song?  What's the story behind this thing???

It's an Adrian Baker song. He offered it to the BB (circa 1982, I think), they turned it down, so Mike cut it solo. I think the admittedly dire version doing the rounds is the result of a badly synched vocal. For a long time, only the track was going the rounds. i doubt it sounded that bad in the studio.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2007, 07:08:14 AM »

Adrian Baker, huh? That actually explains a LOT...

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »

Oh I've heard that track!  It is HYSTERICAL!  A little unfair to Mike because as you say there's some sort of a studio screw up that puts the vocal out of tune with the track but hell, it's funny.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx