gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:23:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm no music snob, But I think I hate new music....  (Read 17003 times)
halblaineisgood
« on: February 05, 2007, 07:11:12 AM »

I can't believe I started one of these.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:25:06 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:14:14 AM »

I get to look back and laugh.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:24:19 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 07:17:57 AM »

wish that I knew what I know now a when I was younger /it was six years ago - The faces

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:26:18 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 08:53:28 AM »

Im no Nirvana fan, but has there been a classic record since nevermind......I mean a real hands down, we'll be listening to this in fifty years classic, and not just a personal favorite......I have a couple of newer albums I'vre enjoyed, but nothing I can imagine we'll be an all time favorite.....

Since you mentioned them earlier in your post, I do believe that "OK Compuer" by Radiohead will hold up for many years to come.

And speaking of Nirvana, alongside "Nevermind", I think that "In Utero" and "Unplugged Live in New York" are records that will stand the test of time.

I'm sure you disagree and I'm not looking to change anyone's mind.  Just my two cents!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »

I actually prefer Incesticide to In Utero; I know it was a compilation of pre-Nevermind material, but IMHO it has better, more creative songs (albeit with truly dodgy drumming in parts)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »

Oh good, another chance to listen to rants against music. Let's celebrate those golden oldies till we die.

(Sarcasm ends now)

There is PLENTY of very good music out there. Feel free to keep judging the entirety of music based on what you hear and don't like if you want, feel free to keep listening to the same "classics" forever--many of them are great, after all. But you're missing out.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 04:19:57 PM »

Luther, do you have any recommendations?

I find myself agreeing with the above, unfortunately.  Although my classics end with the punk/new wave era of the late '70s.  It's all pretty much been there/done that.  And the musicianship is just terrible.  It amazes me when I see young white rock bands on the late night talk shows.  Who signs these people?  They're just so bad.  It's not like anyone buys their music, either.  Or even bothers downloading it, for that matter.  I'm not sure if it's the bands, or the industry that signs up these acts.  I'd like to hear some good musicians who haven't been able to get a contract.  Is there some really great unheard music out there? 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 04:48:09 PM »

Glad to recommend some favorites. Obviously, everyone has his or her own tastes, but I think anyone who says he or she doesn't like anything must just not be listening to enough new music. Perhaps you'd like something from the below. If you have a specific kind of music you like, I can be more specific.

Beachwood Sparks (think country-era Byrds; derivative but nice)
Beck, especially Mutations, Midnite Vultures and Sea Change
Belle & Sebastian -- particularly the past few albums, on which the production value has increased a lot. (Many people like the earlier stuff more...I don't)
Delgados - especially the Great Eastern, but it is all great
Bob Dylan's albums this decade
Fiery Furnaces, especially Blueberry Boat, EP and Rehearsing My Choir
Flaming Lips, particularly Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Half-Handed Cloud - if you can get over Christian themes, the music is ridiculously quirky, fun, etc (I am not a christian and i love it)
Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat, nice country-pop album
Lhasa - beautiful voice, various ethnic influences to her seductive pop
Mountain Goats' Get Lonely, for introspective, sad music.
My Latest Novel - Wolves
Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over the Sea
Joanna Newsom, Ys. Strings by VDP, quirky voice, brilliant lyrics
Of Montreal, especially everything from the Gay Parade onward
Bill Ricchini - Melodic pop, especially Tonight I Burn Brightly
Rogue Wave - both albums are very good; classic-sounding pop
The Vestals - broke up, but did two nice albums of Beatles meets Radiohead. Go figure.
Voxtrot - they have 2 EPs and an extended single so far, with an album due this spring
Tom Waits - can't go wrong from swordfishtrombones on

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 04:53:05 PM »

Cry I was so lame.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:28:58 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »

Ok, buddy.....I am gonna check some of this stuff out, seriously....thanks for the info
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »

As I said, I would never expect anyone to agree with me on every point, and I'm sure I left some things out that I would include if I thought it through. (I would also include two Radiohead albums--OK Computer and Kid A--but your points was clear on them...)

Anyway, there is a ton of music out there. Most of it is terrible. A lot is OK. A little is extremely good. Do a little digging, don't sit back and wait to see what the major labels are going to toss your way, because that is almost exclusively sh*t.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »

Oh, and speaking of Tom waits is he just a more sarodnic, less melodic version of Randy Newman?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 04:58:42 PM »

.but, I guess everybody's a musician nowadays and has a myspace account, and has their computer recording studio,........so I guess I may be a bitter old coot, but I prefer real musicans at Gold star or Western, with real echo chambers, a real engineer and real tape....

By the way, regarding this...it is hard for anyone making decent music to do that. Major labels aren't generally paying for people to record that way because the popular "flavors" are mostly electronic, such as pop and hip hop. The people who would be interested in recording that way can't afford it, because no major label will pay for it and most smaller labels just dont' have the resources. So until there is a sea change, you might be out of luck there.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 04:59:48 PM »

Oh, and speaking of Tom waits is he just a more sarodnic, less melodic version of Randy Newman?

Oh, no. Not at all. In fact, I'd say he is the better melodicist. He's just a terrible singer. But listen to his album Alice, or the second disc of his 2006 3-disc set, for examples of his beautiful melodies.

I'd say he's a cross between Captain Beefheart and Tin Pan Alley songwriters.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:26:38 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 05:03:04 PM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:26:49 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 04:42:00 AM »

Oh, no. Not at all. In fact, I'd say he is the better melodicist. He's just a terrible singer. But listen to his album Alice, or the second disc of his 2006 3-disc set, for examples of his beautiful melodies.

I'd say he's a cross between Captain Beefheart and Tin Pan Alley songwriters.

Coming from a fan of a lot of Randy Newman's early albums, I think Tom Waits is miles beyond Newman.  I think Waits' humor is much more cutting and not as cutesy as Newman's can be at times.  Again, I am a big Newman fan, Sail Away is one of the my all time favorite albums, but I don't think he holds a candle to Tom Waits.

Luther, I don't disagree with you often and I must say that your list of newer stuff to check out is to die for especially The Beachwood Sparks, but I have to disagree on Waits' voice.  I don't think he is a terrible singer at all.  As a matter of fact, I think he is a brilliant singer!  His voice is so expressive and it cuts me to the core every time.  The way he can shift into different characters with ease takes great comand of the instrument.  Much more than any of the "golden voiced" pop stars being spoon fed to us all.  I guess I know what you meant though.  That his voice isn't pleasent to most and certainly not like anything else in popular music nowadays, but I just can't support calling him a terrible singer.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »

I have to disagree on Waits' voice.  I don't think he is a terrible singer at all.  As a matter of fact, I think he is a brilliant singer!  His voice is so expressive and it cuts me to the core every time.  The way he can shift into different characters with ease takes great comand of the instrument.  Much more than any of the "golden voiced" pop stars being spoon fed to us all.  I guess I know what you meant though.  That his voice isn't pleasent to most and certainly not like anything else in popular music nowadays, but I just can't support calling him a terrible singer.

I think you've worked out what I meant. He is terrible if one uses a traditional definition of a good voice. He misses notes and his timbre is anything but clear. That said, he is (as you said) as expressive as anyone. Believe me, I meant him no disrespect.

(By the way, I love Newman, too. But he's no Waits.)

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 04:57:58 AM »

I didn't really think you meant any disrespect as I think we have both chimed in elswhere as to how great Waits is.  I guess I just take exception when people say that people like Waits and Dylan are "terrible" when truth be told, they both really are great singers even without lovely smooth as silk voices.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 01:24:22 PM »

Okay, this
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:29:40 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 01:26:38 PM »

grandmother, sweater....perhaps its obsessive to correct ones obvious mistakes
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 01:52:50 PM »

Listen to what you like, man...

halblaineisgood
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 06:02:46 AM »

well, that just about wraps this one up in a neat little package.
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 09:20:44 AM »

With the advent of my space there are plenty of opportunities to hear and appreciate many exciting new groups. As far as most of the "signed" artists, many are just guided as sequels (sound alikes) to some extent, yet even know the music biz is freeing up a little. Love Norah Jones and her new album.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 10:30:53 AM »

There has been new music?? To each his own, but when I listen
 to whiny spoiled brats try to act angry about something, I just turn it off. I used to love Radiohead, but now I lay a large burden of responsibility on thom Yorke for inspiring more whiny half-wits with guitars than the world needs. I'm not even going to go into the sorry state of the world of rap nowadays. There are good bands out there, but after being such a huge Beach Boys fan everything I hear just doesn't compare.
I love early 80's music though. I guess that's not new. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx