gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681109 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 07:05:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm no music snob, But I think I hate new music....  (Read 17445 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 07:54:44 PM »

I think the business was always corrupted. After all, it was always business. There are fewer owners now--that's the biggest difference.

true story.........I know I over generalized too....but I know there will be a renaissance, it just seems futile at the moment....to be continued....
halblaineisgood
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2007, 01:10:23 AM »

Foolish youth.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:31:58 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2007, 02:06:42 PM »

I don't like new music.........but I heard "Girlfriend" by Lil Mama and Averial Lavigne and IT IS STUCK IN MY HEAD AHHHHHHHHHGRRRHHH, I even tried to exorcise it with BB music full blast, but they overpower the poor guys in the striped shirts... Wall
Carly
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 02:08:54 PM by carlydenise » Logged

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
waterface
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 08:34:44 AM »

3 words...R Stevie Moore !!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2007, 11:36:36 PM »

I think the business was always corrupted. After all, it was always business. There are fewer owners now--that's the biggest difference.

true story.........I know I over generalized too....but I know there will be a renaissance, it just seems futile at the moment....to be continued....

Are you sure the Renaissance isn't happing right now, or at least circumstances are being set for a Renaissance to happen soon. The major labels are dying; mergers, buyouts, suing people for doing the internet age's equivalent of taping songs, DRM, exponential decrease in CD sales; the major labels are desperate, they're looking to things like ringtones and paid downloads to make up for lost revenue, but that's still not enough, to save money they are cutting artists, leaving only mindless crap in the mainstream, causing less people to listen to their music. At the same time this is happening, indie labels are thriving, experiencing increases in sales; indie music is more prevalant then ever, with bands like The Decemberists, Rilo Kiley, The Postal Service, and Arcade Fire being immensely popular, and major acts such as Barenaked Ladies and Radiohead self-releasing new material. 

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2007, 08:30:19 AM »

Decemberists aren't indie anymore--their last album (Crane Wife) was their major label debut, on Capitol.

But you're right of course that indie is almost the only place anything cool in rock or pop is happening, other than the continued releases by people who are already legends (such as Dylan).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2007, 06:19:37 PM »

I love Jerry Tamborello's work in DNTEL, as well as the Postal Service.....I also love Yeah Yeah Yeahs.......but I can't say this or anything else is the music that will fill the power vacuum in popular music the way other bands in the past have..... Too many genres, to many bands, too many egos, too much vulgarity, too many opinions, critics, and polls, not enough good ideas......yada yada yada. Keep in mind how much a role technology played in the waves of outstanding musical movements during the 20th century....do we have that now???

Is the renaissance in the making?? Perhaps, but I doubt it....but who am I??? A NOBODY, totally out of the loop looking down on hipster cheesballs, no longer a teenage know it all with fresh ears and attitude, just reading Smiley Smile's interesting posts, and listening to the Beach Boys religously...

Ascrodin, keep up the good work with yer blog, I love it....Smiley Smile rules.....Hell, name any song over the last 15 years that even comes close to Heroes and Villians, album version... Rock!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2007, 06:38:59 PM »

There is no void. The only problem is if you need a band to consume the consciousness of the public-at-large, to be a massive event, etc., as opposed to just making great music.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2007, 02:59:49 AM »

I love Jerry Tamborello's work in DNTEL, as well as the Postal Service.....I also love Yeah Yeah Yeahs.......but I can't say this or anything else is the music that will fill the power vacuum in popular music the way other bands in the past have..... Too many genres, to many bands, too many egos, too much vulgarity, too many opinions, critics, and polls, not enough good ideas......yada yada yada. Keep in mind how much a role technology played in the waves of outstanding musical movements during the 20th century....do we have that now???

Is the renaissance in the making?? Perhaps, but I doubt it....but who am I??? A NOBODY, totally out of the loop looking down on hipster cheesballs, no longer a teenage know it all with fresh ears and attitude, just reading Smiley Smile's interesting posts, and listening to the Beach Boys religously...

Ascrodin, keep up the good work with yer blog, I love it....Smiley Smile rules.....Hell, name any song over the last 15 years that even comes close to Heroes and Villians, album version... Rock!
[/quote

It's Jimmy Tamborello, not Jerry.

And thanks for the compliment on the blog. But you shouldn't be thanking me, you should be thanking Brian Wilson/Carl/Dennis/Al/Blondie/Ricky/Dave and (grudgingly) Mike and Bruce for making that great music.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2007, 05:38:41 AM »

There is no void. The only problem is if you need a band to consume the consciousness of the public-at-large, to be a massive event, etc., as opposed to just making great music.

True Dat.....you were able to phrase it better than I.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx