gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681469 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 07:33:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm no music snob, But I think I hate new music....  (Read 17582 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 01:05:38 PM »

... whiny spoiled brats try to act angry about something, I just turn it off. I used to love Radiohead, but now I lay a large burden of responsibility on thom Yorke for inspiring more whiny half-wits with guitars than the world needs. I'm not even going to go into the sorry state of the world of rap nowadays.

That's one genre (rap) and one vocal style. There is a lot more out there. Over-generalizing and complaining doesn't do anything but let a person bask in his misery (kind of like a Thom Yorke-ish whiny half-wit, now that I think about it). A person can give up and die or keep listening for something new and exciting.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »

I must defend myself....I was generalizing, but where i live the only 2 radio stations that play anything worth hearing is the college staions, and they are not on 24/7. The other stations play "alternative" as if that makes any sense... the classic rock station that plays the same songs on into infinite, and the rap staion. They took the oldies off the air and replaced it with "soft rock.." VH1? MTV? Maybe Vh1 classic is good. If I hear a song from 1979 for the first time it becomes new to me. I don't have satellite radio, but i have heard it and nothing blows me away on there except new wave sometimes. It seems to me that so many commercial bands sing like they are whining, or they sound like they are squeezing one through on the crapper as they lay down their vocals. Believe me, I'm always on the lookout for new music, but my search keeps bringing me to the past where the music of days past is all too often neglected. I am more moved by songs from the 1920's than most of the music of the last 20 years.
However, I know you're right when you say that one must keep searching for something new, so, when I hear some music that makes the grade, I'll let you know. Word up, Yo.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 01:39:30 PM »

oh, I forgot, at least I have a something to whine about- the lack of good music being presented to me on the radio and tv. What does thomyorke have to whine about? He is not rich enough?  Ahhh!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2007, 02:26:02 AM »

Money isn't everything, man.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2007, 10:59:19 AM »

I no longer feel Radioheads pain. I used to, not anymore. I don't buy their music. It doesn't move me, doesn't make me feel better, and it takes two listens of their better stuff for me to grow sick of it. Maybe money isn't everything, but it helps. Having supermodel girlfriends helps to. This is my opinion, I don't mean to argue or try to convince anybody that Radiodead sux. I'm no music snob, but I hate new music.....except Rob Thomas and Sum41.
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 01:28:51 PM »

I can listen to, if not appreciate much of recorded music before 1970.....But after there it get's iffy, I become very selective.....Just the way the music is recorded nowadays......no foundation insturments, a gazillion distorted guitars playing the same power chords and a tambourine, and maybe a one note synth line is a clever arrangement.....Maybe its just all the alternative/emo stuff I hate...Yea, and whatever happened to hipsters liking good music, I thought they used to like jazz n stuff?....now I guess you like radiohead or something.......If you dig that stuff, fine.......but Just, please don't blast it in your car without asking me, I don't have random people in my car and start blasting "Fun, Fun Fun" or something......I just...am I tactful, or I just assume people arent going to care for my music, or I know how much it sucks to be forced to listen to unplesant music......goshdarnit.......The way the Music is recorded it hurts my damn ears.......the drums are always too damn loud.....its either that its too simple, or people are so afraid of being derivative, they have to be really damn weird for the sake of weird........Im no Nirvana fan, but has there been a classic record since nevermind......I mean a real hands down, we'll be listening to this in fifty years classic, and not just a personal favorite......I have a couple of newer albums I'vre enjoyed, but nothing I can imagine we'll be an all time favorite.....

I'm with you, man.  I'm well aware of the exceptions out there, and sure, there's some really good stuff being released in the sphere of modern pop music .  But I prefer (as stated somewhere before in this thread) those older methods of production that are so much more moving to me.  All I can hear in a lot of the music my friends are into, which would probably fall under Alternative Rock, is incoherent electric guitar and some drumming with simple bass lines.  Then there's the "singer/songwriter with a guitar" stuff coming out where a musician makes too much use of an acoustic guitar and some simple lyrics.  That, or the reggae/rap/rock vein which can be decent when it tries but was overdone for a while and has little to offer. 

I want to see a larger array of instruments.  You don't have to fit as many as possible into one production or Wall-Of-Sound the song, I just want to see more gentle, lucid combinations -- you know, more piano, horns, and violin.  On top of that, it would be nice if musicians would harmonize and explore a little more vocally.  This is also where I would ask to please tone down on the screaming.  It simply doesn't contribute anything for the most part. Use synthesizers more sparingly and with more discretion and eliminate computers except for mixing.  In essence, yes, I am asking for a return to old ways.  But that's just my taste.

I also want to say that I agree, noname.  I think Rob Thomas is somebody who's making worthwhile stuff.  He's a good lyricist, in my opinion.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007, 04:48:04 PM »

I was hoping the first Rob Thomas thing was a joke. But now there have been two. So I have to laugh.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 06:34:37 PM »

Grin It could be one of those things I have a blind spot for recognizing that it's bad.

noname might have been joking because he also named Sum 41.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 06:50:40 PM by JoeDM » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2007, 07:30:24 PM »

ROb Thomas is God....Sum41 is his messengers............just kidding!!!! Grin
SG7
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »

Even though I generally switch my radio to the 60s station, I do hear and like new music. Charlotte Gainsbourg (from the stuff I've heard) and Regina Spektor are currently my faves right now. Broadcast (just getting into them) and Stereolab, heck I play them more then I do the BB these days! Before I got into the Beach Boys, I was playing the CMT channel a lot and found some nice talent on that. For a while I think everything was good and then all of a sudden this sexist, plastic, whorish music started becoming popular. I think currently a lot of modern music sucks. It lacks soul, very selfish in terms of wanting to reconize where its come from and the look is now becoming more then substance. It's very sad but I think that like all other trends, it will die. People will always embrace singer songwriter's and people that are determined to make impact with their music. I remember when I started posting around the different Beach Boys boards I noticed so many people saying "the music is going to die with us" crap. I KNOW it is going to be rediscovered again. Yes it is a really slow process but I have hope. Tastes always change when people get older. I remember I had to do an interview for school with one of my old English teachers. I asked him about Bob Dylan because he is such a big fan of his. When people commented about it, it was a mixture of people who had no idea who he was and some that did. Some is better then none. Knowlege is spreading and that IS good  Smiley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 08:27:33 AM »

I absolutely adore Regina Spektor. What a voice, and what a piano player!

If you like her, check out a band called 'Frankenixion' (now defunct, theyre now playing as Sword of Exactly) their lead singer Evelyn, is an amazing piano player and her voice is so angelic it gives me goosebumps!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:29:22 AM by Joe- » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
MBE
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 10:31:30 PM »

I don't like what happened to music either. I liike some things by Jet or Coral but other then that I really have no music by anyone from the last 25 years. My tastes run from Hank Williams Sr to Black Sabbath, to Ricky Nelson, to Prince, and everything in between but from a certain era. I think most non Musak things recorded in the 50s and 60s are terrific. I like some early 70s rock and like Country and non disco soul music even through the early 80s. Yet everything I enjoy recorded since 82 or so is by artists already long established. I don't know why, it's just my taste. I do think music how it was prodced, recorded, the content, were all better at a certain point. I am sure there are some bands doing what I call real music but while I respect a group like Nirvana for their obvious talent, they just don't reach me beyond that. It's something that I can't really explain other then you like something or you don't
Ptolemaios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 12:36:19 PM »

I really enjoy reading this topic! You people have some really interesting points about modern music.

I am "young" and I do like some bands that are "new" but generally I listen to mostly "old" music. I just like the way it sounds more and the way it was produced in the 60's for example. It feels more "real" and you get the feeling the music was really recorded while the bands/musicians really played those songs in the studio...

For example, I am a fan of Muse. They are great and have a lot musical value to their songs but for some reason their albums are hard to listen to. Listening to those makes me feel tired in a little while. Maybe it has something to do with the way they master recordings today? Too much compression...

Anyway, I just had a few beers and I'm tired so don't mind if I sound confusing. I'm gonna keep reading this topic anyway.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 01:02:46 PM »

Anyway, I just had a few beers and I'm tired so don't mind if I sound confusing.

On this, if nothing else, great minds think alike!

By the way, as an addendum to what I've said previously on this thread, I was thinking of something recently: On this (and other BBs-related) board, I tend to present a sort of position of new music champion. I am always arguing against stagnating with the same old classics--GREAT though they are, and no argument there--and for people to seek out and listen to the great new music that is being made.

But in my circle of friends and acquaintences, many of whom are around my age (30), I tend to be considered an old phogey. They all think my taste is stale because of how much of the older music I do have, love, appreciate and champion.

It just goes to show that context is hugely important. My taste doesn't change depending on whether I'm on this board or hanging around my friends, but you'd sure think it did by the comments I get back!

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 01:43:59 PM »

I'm no music snob, but Limp Bizkit is a waaaayyy better band than the Beach Boys, Right??! LOL
halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2007, 07:50:02 AM »

i still think we havent gotten down to brass tacks here.......its more about equipment, then it is about musicianship, or arrangements,.....although that can be a problem too
MBE
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2007, 11:04:15 PM »

hlablaneisgood, you raise a good point. The studios of the time are part of what made the era sound appealing to me, and it was studio trends that made me not like certain things later. I think it is about style somewhat too. The echoy Sun sound, the surf sound, the folk sound, the Motown sound, the British invasion, they all set the standard of the music of the day. I think it's down too whether you like that sound or not. If you love the fifties Elvis sound you are bound to like Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochrin, so forth. If you like the eary Beach Boys sound, Jan and Dean, Bruce and Terry, etc. are going to catch your ear. It's not really about if someone can play well, it's more about what they are trying to do with their music. Something like the Seattle sound of the early ninties doesn't appeal to me because of it's down beat nature. but I do realize that it helped bring back more natural production styles which I perfer. I think had Smile been recorded in 1988 instead of 2004 it may of been a huge disaster. Everything brings with it some good and bad, but I feel the sound of the last 30 odd years has stopped me from really enjoying some people with natural talent.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »

Here's my opinion of much of modern Rock, and modern music since I've got the time to rant.

Most modern rock is kitty music.  I went ahead and censored myself there... I blame all of this on a misinterpretation of Kurt Cobain's brand of Rock music.

Kurt was a very talented songwriter, and most Nirvana songs have strong structures and great melodies, under his screaming and the crazy guitars lie great songs.  When Kurt Cobain screamed or sounded pissed off, generally he was basing that emotion on something, and even then he didn't take himself too seriously, the music was meant to be passionate, not political or overly heavy.

Most modern Rock has based their sound on Kurt's sound and most of the modern rock singers get in the studio and just whine around like Kurt did, but it all comes across as pathetic and dishonest.  I mean if you listen to "All Apologies" you hear a man in pain, it's honest as hell.  If you listen to most modern rock, you hear a guy trying to sound like he's in pain, or rambling about how some girl dumped him.  Welcome to life, man, believe me... you're not the only one! I believe Kurt even ADMITTED "I'm not the only one" LOL

It's just night and day the difference between Kurt, an honest, talented musician and most modern rock acts: pretenders.

Rant off.

There are many bright spots.  Something like "The black Parade" has everything to make it a great song, honesty, passion, lyrics that don't try to be too clever but yet are thought provoking, etc. 

Generally though, most modern rock I can't stand, it comes across as dishonest, and most bands don't know what melody is, period.  Anytime you sacrifice all melody and only focus on rythym, you're making a big mistake.

Even good rap has a good melody.  check it out, next time you hear a rap song that you think is half ass tolerable, it'll have a pretty catchy melody somewhere in the song, and that's the part you'll like.

Country music is pretty decent, it's very honest generally and is pretty universal, it's a shame only white rednecks stereotypically enjoy it because I believe it's basically like folk music in that it speaks for everybody.  There's of course good country and bad country, but when you have performers like Alan Jackson and George Strait who are just masters at what they do, and women like Sara Evans writing and recording solid songs... I'll listen to country anyday over modern rock.

I'll even listen to pop before I'll listen to most modern rock.  At least pop stars are generally pretty honest, christina Aguilera sings songs about what a big slut she is, and the Backstreet Boys sing songs about how insecure they are.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »

I can listen to, if not appreciate much of recorded music before 1970.....But after there it get's iffy, I become very selective.....Just the way the music is recorded nowadays......no foundation insturments, a gazillion distorted guitars playing the same power chords and a tambourine, and maybe a one note synth line is a clever arrangement.....Maybe its just all the alternative/emo stuff I hate...Yea, and whatever happened to hipsters liking good music, I thought they used to like jazz n stuff?....now I guess you like radiohead or something.......If you dig that stuff, fine.......but Just, please don't blast it in your car without asking me, I don't have random people in my car and start blasting "Fun, Fun Fun" or something......I just...am I tactful, or I just assume people arent going to care for my music, or I know how much it sucks to be forced to listen to unplesant music......goshdarnit.......The way the Music is recorded it hurts my damn ears.......the drums are always too damn loud.....its either that its too simple, or people are so afraid of being derivative, they have to be really damn weird for the sake of weird........Im no Nirvana fan, but has there been a classic record since nevermind......I mean a real hands down, we'll be listening to this in fifty years classic, and not just a personal favorite......I have a couple of newer albums I'vre enjoyed, but nothing I can imagine we'll be an all time favorite.....

You might just be listening to the wrong "new" music. With the exception of a couple of artists, most of the stuff that gets played on mainstream commercial radio today just plain stinks.

Barenaked Ladies are pretty good. They haven't had a big radio hit in about 7 years, but are still selling albums and drawing big crowds at their live shows. Plus they did a song about the man himself, "Brian Wilson."

Wilco is a pretty decent country-rock/experimental band. Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy is a huge fan of Mr. Wilson and the Boys, not to mention a Dylan-head and a Beatlemaniac. Check out the albums "Summerteeth" and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot."

Modest Mouse is a really great rock band from Washington state. "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" is a mezmerising album, with really great production values and lots of little nuances.

Neutral Milk Hotel-defunct indie rock band that was led by this guy named Jeff Magnum, who is a huge Brian Wilson fan. Check out the "Aeroplane Over The Sea" album. NMH's labelmates The Olivia Tremor Control, did an awesome cover of "Do You Like Worms?" from SMiLE.

Flaming Lips-psychedelic rock band based out of Oklahoma City. "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" is a phenomenal album, or at least the couple of songs that I've heard from it are great. I'm assuming the entire album is as good as or better than "Do You Realize".

As far as "derivative" acts go, I would recommend Oasis. They blatantly rip off the Beatles but have written some great songs in the process of doing it. Yeah, their songs have simple "moon, june, spoon"-type rhyming, but it's catchy as hell. "What's The Story Morning Glory?" is still super popular even though its been over 10 years since it came out.

Radiohead is vastly overrated. Their first 3 albums have some good songs on them but are nowhere near as groundbreaking as people would like to think. After OK Computer, they decided to abandon rock music altogether and just made synthesizer noise with Thom Yorke mumbling some random lyrics over the noise, yet it was hailed as genius.

If all else fails, just put on a Beach Boys record and lose yourself in the music.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2007, 04:28:06 PM »

"I don't think that the American species is so debased that they have given up on all hope of a cultural life. It's just that they have no concept of how to achieve it or really understand why it's worth preserving. And that's what's so sad about museum attendance, because stuff in a museum is dead. It's cultural necrophilia. A museum should exist, yeah; you should go and see the past, you should see that treasured little thing -- whatever it is. But that's like the mentality of the guy who wanted to shut down the patent office in the early 1900s because it was the official government point of view that everything had already been invented."

- Frank Zappa, from a 1992 interview with Don Menn

Ptolemaios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 02:07:30 PM »

Hey people, you should really check out Silverchair's new album 'Young modern'. It's great larger than life popmusic and Van Dyke Parks wrote the orchestral arrangements to the album.

You can hear it for free here: http://music.ninemsn.com.au/MediaPopup.aspx?MediaID=77693&Playlist=7 'If you keep losing sleep' is one of my favorite songs from the album but it's all good. 

Take care,
Machiavelli
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:09:36 PM by Machiavelli » Logged
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2007, 05:56:14 PM »

Don't miss The Decemberists "The Crane Wife".

Moving along, there are data in the neuropsychology literature that seem to demonstrate the the music you grow up listening to is the music that your brain relates to. It gets harder and harder to adapt to seriously different styles of music the older you get. Obviously this isn't a rigid hard and fast rule as fans of current genres can also enjoy Pet Sounds and Friends and Summer Days, etc.
But there probably is something to it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2007, 07:57:14 PM »

Moving along, there are data in the neuropsychology literature that seem to demonstrate the the music you grow up listening to is the music that your brain relates to. It gets harder and harder to adapt to seriously different styles of music the older you get.

Wow, I'm an accidental scientist (without any data or proofs). Hurray for me.  Wink

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »

I know, I know....but seriously folks....but we are not in the same kind of music market as the Beach Boys were in the 60's. When it comes down to it, it is really hard to listen to other stuff once you've become hip to the Beach Boys, no matter how old you were when you first heard them....we'll see what the future beholds, but IMO the market stresses image too much compared to the music....there seems to be too much emphasis placed on videos, fashions, and hair cuts than on the music. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but think about it. I'm supposed to really groove on modern music when I haven't heard anything that even touches the Beach Boy's at their best?

I've witnessed a lot of different styles and cultures of music here in NY and I tell you there is some stuff that sounds OK to me. A few years ago I was really grooving on art bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Blonde Redhead, Piebald, etc., etc. After awhile I was like, WTF? Where's the melody? Why all the anger and why get all political on me? Brian Wilson was angrier than any one of those clowns but he turned it into beautiful art, not half-assed produced look-at-me-I'm -in-a-rock-band crap. That's all I see nowadys. I really dig artsy bands, and to me the coolest were from the late seventies/early eighties before MTV and commercial radio corrupted the business.

I'd love to hear the next thing, and there are definitely hints of it, there is something brewing...it will be great too....however it will be hard for the next wave of bands to not sell their souls to make it big while rising above the prevailing mediocrity of the Western Pop music world.                 

the End.......................btw, I'm no music snob. OK, maybe a little bit, but show me somebody who isn't?? I'll play them a back to back dose of Kenny G and Yanni....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2007, 09:00:38 PM »

I think the business was always corrupted. After all, it was always business. There are fewer owners now--that's the biggest difference.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx