gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:50:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Steely Dan Thread pt.II  (Read 13729 times)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 01:20:03 AM »

As a long-standing fan with only the 'Sun Mountain' bootleg, I'm not familiar with later out-takes. Can someone provide a definitive list of the unreleased tracks?

Talking of older fragments resurfacing,  it won't have escaped attention that the melody of 'Everything Must Go' was taken from Donald's 'Big Noise, New York' (as also covered by Jennifer Warnes). I thought this was evidence of a creative drying-up  - something underlined when Fagen, on its release, announced that he would now be writing songs with Carole Bayer-Sager (?!).
Chris D.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 07:34:59 AM »

Has he even written with her?
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2006, 01:14:38 AM »

http://members.home.nl/hans.verlouw/SteelyDanDatabase/index.htm
Check this site out.............................
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 02:24:52 PM »

check out my friend Oleander's FeverDreams site, dedicated to Dan lyric discussion!

also, www.andymetzger.com for all your unreleased Steely Dan needs.

Can't believe Fagan is actually embarking on a solo tour this spring!  Dates are listed at www.donaldfagen.com

I bit the bullet and bought a VIP ticket for the DC show.  Get to see the Donald do soundcheck.  Maybe I can get a little "Second Arrangement" out of him...!
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 06:43:22 PM »

Although I was very wary at first, I actually like the "new" Steely Dan albums. From both albums, the best songs IMO are....

Janie Runaway
Almost Gothic
Cousin Dupree
Negative Girl
The Last Mall
Godwhacker
Green Book
Pixeleen
Lunch With Gina
Everything Must Go

Makes one fine single album. What do you guys think the "fine Colombian" means? Something in leaf form or something harder that has the name of a soda pop. 
Chris D.
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »

Makes one fine single album. What do you guys think the "fine Colombian" means? Something in leaf form or something harder that has the name of a soda pop.

Definitely the pop Grin

Their new stuff is amazing, man.  Glad you like it.  I need to get Everything Must Go.  Embarrassingly I don't have that one.  Maybe this weekend.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 08:38:48 PM »

I read that the opening line to Bad Sneakers refers to the original lineup of Steely Dan, with the "chimp" being David Palmer - who knows if it's true . . .

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Chris D.
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2006, 07:38:48 AM »

Anyone hear this new song that leaked?  "Hump Day"?  I haven't heard it, but here are some lyrics from Fever Dreams:

The fireworks hang like diamonds
in the sky
The look of your eyes
Against mandolin music
and gin and tonic
Unsure but chronic:
Will there be any
humping on Hump Day?

You were felt by every miniature jockey
In your pleasure dome high above the Rockies
And all the sailors painted your face many hues
I guess Hump Day only comes 10 after curfew
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:45:56 PM by Chris D. » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 11:08:13 PM »

resurrecting this thread for the love of Dan/Don.

new Donald tune out now... lovin' it: I'm Not The Same Without You

from RollingStone.com:
On his new track "I'm Not the Same Without You," Donald Fagen offers a triumphant tale of perseverance after failed love. The Steely Dan frontman bounces with smooth funk grooves, sensual piano chords and slinky guitar riffs as he pushes through the sad times with grinning defiance. "'I'm Not the Same Without You' is a gloss on those anthemic tunes in which the singer tells a story about how she's going to make it through a recent breakup and bravely carry on. I say 'she' because I'm thinking of songs like Gloria Gaynor's 'I Will Survive' or 'These Boots Are Made for Walkin' by Nancy Sinatra," says Fagen. "In 'I'm Not the Same Without You,' the narrator not only survives but rapidly evolves into something a bit more than human – at least in his own mind."

"I'm Not the Same Without You" is on Fagen's upcoming Sunken Condos, out October 16th.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »

"I can't believe my dad bought me a Stanley Dan album instead of a Nirvana album."

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »

new Fagen album kicks ass. lotta fun and lotta funk.

he's slated to play Letterman in mid-Nov. that's a first!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:41:55 PM by bossaroo » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »

I decided to start a Steely Dan message board a couple days ago. Long overdue if you ask me. Come on by!

http://signinstranger.freeforums.net/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »

New album on the way. Eventually.

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/new-steely-dan-album.html
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 12:19:50 AM »

I wanted to revive this thread since I'm starting to get into them more.
Like the Beach Boys, I grew up listening to my dad's Steely Dan compilation (the Showbiz Kids one).

What do you guys think about them? Any favorite albums? Or perhaps some of you have read Fagen's book, Eminent Hipsters... I know my dad has. heh.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:59 AM »

I wanted to revive this thread since I'm starting to get into them more.
Like the Beach Boys, I grew up listening to my dad's Steely Dan compilation (the Showbiz Kids one).

What do you guys think about them? Any favorite albums? Or perhaps some of you have read Fagen's book, Eminent Hipsters... I know my dad has. heh.

I like them. My favourite albums of theirs (chronologically) are Pretzel Logic, The Royal Scam, Gaucho and Two Against Nature. Oh, and Fagen's The Nightfly. The sleeve notes to Aja are a hoot. And i enjoyed their biography, Reelin' in the Years...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 07:22:12 AM »

The sleeve notes to Aja are a hoot.
For those curious it's here: http://www.broberg.pp.se/sd_aja.htm

Go to albumlinernotes.com> Steely Dan> Albums> select title> the link. It's the best source to read the notes w/o actually owning the album. It gets week updates for almost any artist.

Re favorite albums, I like "You Gotta Walk It Like You Talk It", sdtrk album for a film of such name. Didn't see it yet. "Two Against Nature" is great! Fav. track "Janie Runaway", very groovy, one of many on the album.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »

I bought a two disc best of a few months back - loved it even if sometimes they seem to be too overly clever. I'm thinking of selling it and buying all the original albums instead.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 01:31:39 AM »

Pretzel Logic is a great one. I love love love Rikki Don't Lose that Number.

I haven't listened to their stuff as whole albums that much yet, except for Countdown to Ecstasy.
They definitely give off a "too-clever" vibe, but oh well Tongue.

I wonder if my dad still has his Aja LP lying somewhere. I'm curious about those liner notes.

I'm also a fan of Morph the Cat (the album and especially the song). Other than that and I.G.Y. I'm not super familar with Fagen's solo material..

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »

I wonder if my dad still has his Aja LP lying somewhere. I'm curious about those liner notes.

I'm not super familar with Fagen's solo material..
I'd think checking the link I gave would be easier than seek the album. If you're curious.

About solo Fagen, try "Sunken Condos". In places, it's great, good at others.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »

I found Aja! I'll need to give it a spin. I think I like Countdown to Ecstasy better but you really can't get tired of the title track.

I also went to a fair the other day... one of the goats was named Aja. There must be a Steely Dan fan in the barn Tongue

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 10:16:02 AM »

Here are a couple of Dan links you might enjoy:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/steely-dan-country.html

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/steely-dan-outtakes-album.html
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »

Like 'em a lot and LOVE "Katy Lied."

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2015, 08:06:28 PM »

I'm not really familiar with a lot of their material but from the handful of songs I've heard on classic rock radio, I really like quite a bit.  "FM" and "Deacon Blues" in particular are both incredible songs.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2015, 01:56:36 AM »

Here we go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDeVAF58jPg

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx