gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680856 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:36:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Instruments on "Wild Honey"-album  (Read 14291 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2007, 07:10:46 AM »

Anyone know what kind of guitars Al and Carl played on the "Wild Honey"-album? I think in the SS/WH-twofer-booklet you can see Carl with a Rickenbacher but I don't know if it's from those sessions.  And did they play all guitars or were session musicians used on some parts?

BTW what happened to "Beach Boys' gear" ( http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=258.0 )? Anyone got that Carl-interview from "Guitar player"?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wilsonista
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:08:47 AM »

Those shots, I believe are from soundchecks for the Lei'd In Hawaii shows. They might have been in a Beatle mood because in some other shots from that session, Brian and Carl are both seen playing a Hofner Beatle bass.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 07:51:10 AM »

Those shots, I believe are from soundchecks for the Lei'd In Hawaii shows. They might have been in a Beatle mood because in some other shots from that session, Brian and Carl are both seen playing a Hofner Beatle bass.

The Hofner Beatle bass had become their official onstage bass by early '67 (Bruce, Carl, Al, and Brian at the Hawaii shows, all used it).  Interestingly, Bruce is seen playing a different brand of violin-shaped bass (with an "E" logo on the headstock) in a shot on page 134 of "Look Listen Vibrate SMiLE" (original edition).

As for the question of Beach Boys vs. studio musicians..."Wild Honey" is mostly all Beach Boys, except for some horns and maybe one or two other things, like Theremin.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:34:16 PM »

Did Ron Brown play bass on it?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »

Did Ron Brown play bass on it?

He very well may have, but none of the documentation indicates that.  If he did, it was probably overdubs.  He DID however play on the 1967 version of "Time To Get Alone", according to the AFM sheets.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 04:10:15 PM »

As for the question of Beach Boys vs. studio musicians..."Wild Honey" is mostly all Beach Boys, except for some horns and maybe one or two other things, like Theremin.

Do you have track-by-track credits for it? I know Bruce is bass and organ on the title track, but that's about it.
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 10:25:04 PM »

Just an aside, the violin bass with the "E" on the headstock was an Eko bass - made in Italy by the same company that made guitars for Vox from about 1964-on, after the Beatles hit world-wide and the U.K. factory couldn't keep up with demand. Electronics and other features were very similar between Ekos and Voxes. I always thought it interesting that the Beach Boys used Vox amps briefly (as seen in the tour shots on the back of the Pet Sounds cover) and wonder how long that lasted. I guess no one escaped the effects of the British invasion, even if the influence was brief.

Dean
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 06:15:07 AM »

Do you have track-by-track credits for it? I know Bruce is bass and organ on the title track, but that's about it.

Unfortunately not, or at least not yet.  There are only a handful of AFM sheets available from those sessions, and they list all of the Boys but don't indicate what instrument they played.  Like I said, not much in the way of studio musicians except Paul Tanner on the Theremin for "Wild Honey" and maybe a couple of horn players.  A string octet was employed for "Aren't You Glad", but this overdub was not used in the final mix, as you can tell.  Bruce has said it's Carl playing drums on the outtake of "With A Little Help From My Friends", and I think it might be Brian or Carl playing drums on "How She Boogalooed It", since the AFM sheet just lists Brian, Carl, and Bruce on that one.  I'd definitely say Bruce is playing organ on that one, too, and maybe the rest of the organ on the album.  Sounds like a Farfisa or Vox organ on "Wild Honey" and "How She Boogalooed It", compared to most of the rest of the tunes, which sound like the big Baldwin.  The session tapes don't reveal a whole lot about who played what, at least not what I've heard so far.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 06:37:57 AM »

Unfortunately not, or at least not yet.  There are only a handful of AFM sheets available from those sessions, and they list all of the Boys but don't indicate what instrument they played.  Like I said, not much in the way of studio musicians except Paul Tanner on the Theremin for "Wild Honey" and maybe a couple of horn players.  A string octet was employed for "Aren't You Glad", but this overdub was not used in the final mix, as you can tell.  Bruce has said it's Carl playing drums on the outtake of "With A Little Help From My Friends", and I think it might be Brian or Carl playing drums on "How She Boogalooed It", since the AFM sheet just lists Brian, Carl, and Bruce on that one.  I'd definitely say Bruce is playing organ on that one, too, and maybe the rest of the organ on the album.  Sounds like a Farfisa or Vox organ on "Wild Honey" and "How She Boogalooed It", compared to most of the rest of the tunes, which sound like the big Baldwin.  The session tapes don't reveal a whole lot about who played what, at least not what I've heard so far.

Thanks. I'm really much more interested in the personnel listings than the "scandal" stuff. I'd love to see a full "who-plays-and-sings-what" book for the Beach Boys.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:26:20 AM »

Is there any evidence to suggest Brian played bass on the album at all, or did he last play bass on SDSN (or Pet Sounds)?

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »

Is there any evidence to suggest Brian played bass on the album at all, or did he last play bass on SDSN (or Pet Sounds)?

Brian seems to have played much of the bass for Smiley Smile, with bass cameos on SDSN and Pet Sounds.

I think that by comparing the sound of the bass when we know Ron Brown is playing (TTGA, live on tour) to other tracks it can be infered that he played on a lot of WH tracks.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »

Sounds about right.

I liked the sound Brian got while playing his bass. It was a little different from Al's, which seemed to have a more 'plucky' sound to it. Maybe he used a pick. I know Brian didn't.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »

Brian seems to have played much of the bass for Smiley Smile, with bass cameos on SDSN and Pet Sounds.

I think that by comparing the sound of the bass when we know Ron Brown is playing (TTGA, live on tour) to other tracks it can be infered that he played on a lot of WH tracks.
Is "he" meaning Brian or Ron, in this case?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 06:44:13 PM by The What of Whom » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »

Huh?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 04:59:34 PM »

Didn't Carl play some bass on WH? "I Was Made To Love Her" was mentioned, once, I believe. Or was that Carol Kaye? Carl didn't play bass til later, did he? What was the first song he picked up the bass? "I'm So Young"?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 04:27:53 AM »

IIRC "I was made to love her" was Carol Kaye and "I'm so young" was Al. Check out http://www.beachboysarchives.com for the Today-stuff

Thanks to everyone for all the answers. But does anybody know what kind of (electric) guitars Al and Carl played on the album?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 04:28:52 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 05:17:04 AM »

Carol Kaye has claimed she's on the Boys version of "I Was Made To Love Her", but there's no supporting evidence that I know of.  She also said Hal was the drummer on that, which is apparently not true.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 08:36:42 AM »

Re: I'm So Young, yeah, Al was bass; but Carl was six-string bass. We're both right! Grin

Do we have a bassist for "Here Comes The Night"?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »

Didn't Carl play some bass on WH? "I Was Made To Love Her" was mentioned, once, I believe. Or was that Carol Kaye? Carl didn't play bass til later, did he? What was the first song he picked up the bass? "I'm So Young"?

No, Carol Kaye played on the original "I Was Made To Love Her". Always remember that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 11:20:05 AM »

Re: I'm So Young, yeah, Al was bass; but Carl was six-string bass. We're both right! Grin

Do we have a bassist for "Here Comes The Night"?

The AFM sheet lists six BB, Diane Rovell and engineers Jim Lockert & Bill Halversen.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 12:22:54 PM »

No, Carol Kaye played on the original "I Was Made To Love Her". Always remember that.

Yeah, right!  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »

I thought that was Jamerson... LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »

In my brief interactions with Al, he says the Boys pretty much always used their stage equipment to record.  I would imagine, then, that Carl used his Bigsby Equipped Telecaster for much of Wild Honey, and Al Strats.  But of course there was an armada of guitars in the Beach Boys possession, so there's really no way to know with certainty what was used, as sad as that reality is.

According to my ear, Ron Brown played bass on the following cuts, AFM be damned.  (I think as was typical, the Beach Boys just left off the hired help, like Ron Swallow on numerous sessions, etc.)

Aren't You Glad
Darlin'
Let the Wind Blow

I would also add to that list:

Lonely Days

I would not bet the house on it, but I do think that he played on A Thing or Two and Here comes the Night as well.

Ron certainly would be a heck of an important interview.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »

According to my ear, Ron Brown played bass on the following cuts, AFM be damned.  (I think as was typical, the Beach Boys just left off the hired help, like Ron Swallow on numerous sessions, etc.)

Reading your posts, I certainly admire your ear for a bass player, but as devil's advocate, you're more likely to leave a roadie playing tambourine [which is mostly what Swallow did, right?] off an AFM sheet than someone playing one of the most important instruments on some pretty sparse tracks...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 07:28:57 PM »

Reading your posts, I certainly admire your ear for a bass player, but as devil's advocate, you're more likely to leave a roadie playing tambourine [which is mostly what Swallow did, right?] off an AFM sheet than someone playing one of the most important instruments on some pretty sparse tracks...

Consider this possibility:  some years ago, Nik Venet told Adam Marsland that the original bass parts on the "WH" album had to be re-tracked due to some problem with the way they were recorded.  He was thinking it was Ray Pohlman who redid the bass, but it could just as easily have been Ron Brown.  And perhaps the AFM sheet from that overdub session just hasn't materialized (not all the sheets from the "WH" sessions have turned up).  NOW, we all know Nik Venet was (a) full of the stinky stuff, and (b) not intimately involved with the Boys by this time.  However, I believe he was still an A&R guy at Capitol at the time, and therefore could have been at least peripherally involved (or at least aware) of some administration-type aspects of their recording career.  It's worth pondering.  And it would explain Ron Brown playing bass on the album without being on the sheets.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx