gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:14:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOY BRIAN CALLS ON SIR GEORGE MARTIN  (Read 6678 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2007, 12:44:24 AM »

BEACH BOY BRIAN CALLS ON SIR GEORGE MARTIN
Movie & Entertainment News provided by World Entertainment News Network (www.wenn.com)
2007-01-31 09:01:30 -

THE BEACH BOYS songwriter BRIAN WILSON has reportedly asked THE BEATLES producer SIR GEORGE MARTIN to remix some of his former band's classic songs.
Martin and his son GILES recently re-worked a number of Beatles hits for Las Vegas Cirque Du Soleil stage show LOVE.
The 81-year-old claimed it would be his final job, but Wilson was impressed and wants the veteran to collaborate with him on a similar project.
A source tells British newspaper the Daily Express, "Brian attended the American premiere of Love last year and is a big fan. He now wants to convince George and Giles to remix some of his old Beach Boys songs fir a new album.
"As far as Brian's concerned it would be a dream to work with George.
"While it's unclear if George will agree, it's known he's a big admirer if Brian Wilson as a songwriter so he might well persuaded to put off his retirement one last time."

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:36:50 AM »

We might get to hear Mike Love singing Kokomo over Good Vibrations  Razz

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 06:39:09 AM »

Personally, I think "LOVE" is a masterful accomplishment (Martin's remix of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" far surpasses the original in my mind), and I suspect "SMiLE" might have had an influence on the concept of interchanging musical snippets and extended segues.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:50:41 AM »

Personally, I think "LOVE" is a masterful accomplishment (Martin's remix of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" far surpasses the original in my mind), and I suspect "SMiLE" might have had an influence on the concept of interchanging musical snippets and extended segues.

I was surprised at how good that Love CD is. Those remixes have a purpose though, i.e. they accompany the Vegas show, and as such I think it justifies the remixing. I'm not so keen on the idea of the Martins remixing Beach Boy songs. I'm sure they'd do a good job but what is the point?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SG7
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »

We might get to hear Mike Love singing Kokomo over Good Vibrations  Razz

Yeah in hell  Grin LOL Evil
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »

Does Brian want this or is this another brilliant idea from his wife and managers?

Interviewer: So, Brian why did you want to remix all of the Beach Boys songs into a mish mash hodge podge?

Brian: My wife and managers told me the world was ready for a shitty mash up of Beach Boys songs.

I can't wait to have 'Surfin' USA' mixed with 'Student Demonstration Time' and 'TM Song' with 'How I Boogalooed It'!

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »

I can't wait to have 'Surfin' USA' mixed with 'Student Demonstration Time' and 'TM Song' with 'How I Boogalooed It'!

I'd certainly ilegally download those mash-ups!  Cheesy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 04:19:39 PM »

I know a lot of people liked Love, but I am really not interested in either that album or a similar Beach Boys project. Love isn't a Beatles album, but an album of someone mixing and editing Beatles music. This would be the same. And it might sell well (particularly to people into Vegas-y circuses, I guess), but it just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather have more archival releases, good stereo remixes and remasterings of Wild Honey and Smiley Smile, and new projects by Brian and his band (if he has them in him).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 04:36:12 PM »

I don't think the Beach Boys catalog needs to be done in a Love format, it's pretty much perfect as is, IMO. Perhaps if they did "mash-ups" with original SMiLE material, that might be interesting, but I'd take a SMiLE sessions box set over that anyday. I agree with Luther's last sentence.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 04:45:19 PM »

Dumb idea Brian.

Like someone said above, LOVE was remixed because of the show.

They should mash Frank Stallone with Pet Sounds. That would be cool.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 04:57:50 PM »

Giles (son of George) Martin mentioned Brian's interest in this idea during promotion for the Love LP a couple of months ago. But as I recall this was specifically in relation to Pet Sounds only. Martin's view was that a remix of PS in the style of Love wouldn't work.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 05:21:13 PM »

I'd love to see a Cirque de Soliel show using Beach Boys music (over Beatles) they cover a lot more topics and theres just so much more material to work with.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 08:22:47 PM »

I can't see this taking off with Martin senior. He knows the Beatles songs in a way that only he and the Fab Four know it. A perfect swan-song for him. At 81 I doubt he wants to start the same LOVE process for music he does not know or even care for.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 11:42:35 PM »

Maybe Brian will just give him the SMiLE tapes secretly hoping that he can finish them off..

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 12:04:11 AM »

Maybe Brian will just give him the SMiLE tapes secretly hoping that he can finish them off..

Grin

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 03:16:52 AM »

I'd be up for a DJ Dangermouse SMiLE mix, similar to what he did with the Grey Album. Don't know what he'd mash it up with though - is there a hip hop album called Frown? Then you could call the mash up INDiFFeRENT!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 07:17:14 AM »

I'd love to see a Cirque de Soliel show using Beach Boys music (over Beatles) they cover a lot more topics and theres just so much more material to work with.

As long as they don't call it "Love"  Grin
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 07:45:42 AM »

Love isn't a Beatles album, but an album of someone mixing and editing Beatles music.

This is true, but a big part of its appeal right now is that it presents much of the Beatles music in superior sound quality to what's available on the 20-year-old CDs. The fullness of the bass on "Come Together" is just astonishing and tracks that are pretty much left alone, just remixed and remastered, like "A Day In The Life" sound phenomenal (especially the surround-sound version). Some of this impact will be mooted when the remastered Beatles albums are released later this year, but for now...

There are a few things on "LOVE" that strike me a overly gimmicky (the "Hey Bulldog" guitar solo just doesn't fit "Lady Madonna"), but much of it is a dynamic, exciting soundscape of great music. And, as I consider George Martin to be a big part of the Beatles sound, I can appreciate this album as something new from a member of the original creative team; in a way, his tasteful new string arrangement on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" actually is new Beatles music as it holds up to the best of Martin's many arrangements done in the 60s.

All the same, Martin may have been the "fifth Beatle" but he was never a "Beach Boy". If Brian wants to experiment with "mashing-up" his old productions, he should try it himself.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 09:46:08 AM »

===If Brian wants to experiment with "mashing-up" his old productions, he should try it himself.===

or, perish that thought. We may have an entire album that sounds like "Smart Girls"....46 minutes of "butt" edits.....

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »

All the same, Martin may have been the "fifth Beatle" but he was never a "Beach Boy". If Brian wants to experiment with "mashing-up" his old productions, he should try it himself.

I agree with you. Brian was always the producer of his own group, so if he can't do it he should probably shut the f*** up. You know, I bet if they took him off the happy pills for a couple of days, he would stop acting like a zombie and actually do something decent in the studio.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 12:33:01 PM »

Some of this impact will be mooted when the remastered Beatles albums are released later this year, but for now...

What's this? When did this happen?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 12:42:37 PM »

I know I've seen it in various announcements over the past month or so--something about possibly being an online exclusive first, then re-released in the late spring or early summer on CD.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:11:46 PM by Don't Back Down » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 01:17:08 PM »

.. ... . ... . ..... . .. ...... ...  ... .

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 03:27:39 PM »

then re-released in the late spring or early summer on CD.

In 2007?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx